• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I sound like I'm in a tunnel, can I fix this with a filter?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2014 Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I went out and bought the wrong mic for recording voice overs... which I realize only now that it's too late to bring back. I've got a Snowball with a homemade pop filter in front of it, but I still sound like I'm in a tunnel ... or a really small, cramped office (go figure!). I've been playing around with compression, but I don't know anything about audio so I'm not sure how to even describe my problem, let alone figure out how to fix it. Hoping someone can identify this "tunnel" sound for me and school me in the appropriate processing to use, assuming there is one.

Here's a short clip of my voice over

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40199349/clip.mp3

Thanks for the help!

TOPICS
How to , Noise reduction

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Aug 16, 2014 Aug 16, 2014

First, no filters are going to fix this.

Second, I suspect it's just that you're a bit distant from the mic in an untreated room.  Work as close to the mic as you can (without getting a boomy proximity effect) and hang some heavy soft furnishings behind you (and maybe slightly to the side but not all the way around) when you're recording.

It's not a substitute for proper acoustic treatment but I think you'll find it helps.

(Boring anecdotal aside...when working on news stories in hotel rooms and th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2014 Aug 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's the mic causing this at all - well, not directly anyway. Usually 'tunnel' effects are linked with monitoring conditions, and I don't suppose that this is any different, even though it doesn't sound quite as bad as I'd expect. First thing is that there's no way you can filter this out; you have to fix the actual problem. So, the first thing we'll need is a detailed description of exactly how you are making the recordings - how you are monitoring, particularly. The snowball mic, whilst nothing at all to write home about, can certainly make better recordings than that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, no filters are going to fix this.

Second, I suspect it's just that you're a bit distant from the mic in an untreated room.  Work as close to the mic as you can (without getting a boomy proximity effect) and hang some heavy soft furnishings behind you (and maybe slightly to the side but not all the way around) when you're recording.

It's not a substitute for proper acoustic treatment but I think you'll find it helps.

(Boring anecdotal aside...when working on news stories in hotel rooms and the like, it's not unusual for even big name reporters to record their voice overs with a duvet draped over their heads.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Howes wrote:

Second, I suspect it's just that you're a bit distant from the mic in an untreated room.

Possibly. It could just be the compression artefacts I'm hearing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for the input - it helped me find the problem! I had tried to be fancy and my Snowball was mounted to a shelf that was above my head and about 2 feet away from me. I'd gone the cheap route and just threw a t-shirt in front of the mic. Moving it closer to me has completely fixed my problem. Hoping the T-shirt over the mic is okay to do as well, as long as I don't touch it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the T-shirt for? It may very well muffle the high frequencies trying to get through to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryclark wrote:

What's the T-shirt for? It may very well muffle the high frequencies trying to get through to it.

If I had one of those Snowball mics, I'd want to put a T-shirt over it too...

Seriously, a proper pop filter would be a better idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even an old pair of tights stretched over a bent wire coat hanger would be better if a pop shield is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the duvet tip, I had been trying everything I could think of. When I covered myself with a quilt...problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you still read your script in the dark under the duvet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I can because I put it on an ereader. It's kind of like my own little bat cave. Just a short term solution for now.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines