Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imminent Forum Demise

Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are no doubt aware:

>ANNOUNCEMENT: Forums will be unavailable for planned system maintenance starting at 3pm PST on April 3, 2009. New forums will be online on Monday April 6, 2009.

Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights?

And if you want to go somewhere to get your questions answered where you can also do useful things like post screenshots and files, etc then you are more than welcome at AudioMasters where we might get the odd blown fuse, but at least we can mend them...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 155 Replies 155
May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing text in this is a bit of a pain

selecting doesn't function properly

when attempting to select more than one line

Try selecting with Shift + up or + down the selection blinks and the selection is released.

so I'm reduced to selection of one line at a time

and _ometimes letters aren't registered when typed
(I put the _ in after because the "S" wasn't registered when I pressed it)

I do like the direct image upload though for screen shots

but Audio? I agree with previous posters

Let me post my crappy or good audio for people to analyze

if they're worried about copyright stuff

it's ultimately the responisbility of the person posting the question or answer to not post audio works that they don't own the copyright for

I tried to add more details on a post and it didn't take the "Edit: additional details"

-_-

A-Ω

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard FDisk wrote:

Editing text in this is a bit of a pain

selecting doesn't function properly

when attempting to select more than one line

Try selecting with Shift + up or + down the selection blinks and the selection is released.

so I'm reduced to selection of one line at a time

What seems to work in terms of selecting text is to highlight it with the mouse, and then don't use the useless applet tools, but instead use the browser Edit tools instead - that works better.

Sometimes moving text around in a quote gets screwed, and pasting within a block produces a quote within a quote, which is a PITA. Right-clicking on the bit in error produces a 'remove' option - and that doesn't actually remove what you pasted, but does appear to remove the extra code that turned it into a quote. Duh??? This is not a very well thought-out editor at all.

I like the way the read count is going on this thread - great fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case anyone who cares and could do something about this stumbles this way, please note what the thread titled "[\Monk\main\common\PremiereShell\Src\PlayerFactory.cpp-379] " does to the formatting of the thread list -- pushing the "Views," "Replies," and "Last post" off to the side and even completely beyond the window.

Before I resubmerge to resume the occasional lurk, I have to say that my first attempt at logging in today took so long that I could have opened all unread threads at AudioMasters, and possibly thrown a reply or two in, before the login screen appeared.

Well, and I would also have to say that there have been some interesting discussions that I might have enjoyed participating in (restoration-related questions, system problems, surround sound), but I'm just not willing to poke around with this.  Wish y'all would come over to http://www.audiomastersforum.net/amforum/index.php.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, we really should encourage people to post whatever they want to talk about/get help with there - I'm pretty sure that rather more people are looking, for a start - apart from all the other advantages.

It's still good fun watching the read count on this thread though - and also worth keeping it near the top of the 'forum'...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2009 May 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had to try this:

Alt. Ext.

I'll test it to see if the file actually went;

Add:

anyway, if it works

{I can't tell yet it just says QUEUED}

even on my thread of 3 hours ago

here's the change

CoolClipboard.txt > DL > Ren2 CoolClipboard.wav

Message was edited by: Richard FDisk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another extremely annoying thing about this stupid forum software is what happens if you go to 'my stuff'. If you reply to a message, and need to use the html editor, (which you absolutely do if you want to put links with sensible tags in), you'd expect to be able to switch back to 'normal' view afterwards. But it simply doesn't work. And trying to navigate back to where the discussions are is so ridiculously difficult that the only realistic way to do it is to go back to a page you've bookmarked. It's 'navigation' Jim - but not as we know it...

(No I'm not a trekkie - it's just a useful quote you can reuse!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but here is something I just noticed at the bottom of each forum page that I guess I've been pre-programmed to ignore.

Adobe Forums powered by Jive Software's Clearspace ® 2.5.7

- Submit product feedback

I would send them feedback, but I'd rather not try again to create an acount with them... The last time I ran into Jive I was trying to create an account for a friend and they somehow screwed that up.  So feel free to try on your own...

Here is a quote from Jive's support page.

"Customers are one click away from leaving you"

I guess this explains it all...

And why the **** is the '.exe' and '.dll' file extension exceptable and not '.wav' or '.mp3' or '.ogg' ???  That is just as preposterous as Adobe having some company that does an inadequate job of support to run the Adobe support forums.  Jive is just a bunch of crap... Adobe needs to tell whomever is actually in charge of updating this forum to 'Fix it or get lost!'

Arrrrgggg... If I wanted to edit HTML I'd log onto myspace, but this editor is abysmal [edited by moderator]... (lets see the automatic censors pick that one up) The quotes never seem to work right unless they're just plain text...  The editor just doesn't work right...  Anyway at least it didn't give me a headache this time... I already had one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another thing that is turning out to be a problem that clearly wasn't forseen was the nature and quantity of emails this forum generates - by default. You should be very careful about what you reply to when you get an email from an Adobe forum - you simply can't tell easily where any email reply you generate is going to end up.

So the advice here is don't ever respond to Adobe system-generated emails directly - find the message on the appropriate forum that generated the email, and reply directly there instead. Having a message that has just come from 'Adobe Forums' without being rather more specific up front is simply not very helpful at all. Yeah, it's a double whammy - first you have to find the message, and then you have to either use this effing editor, or write some convoluted html - I know, I know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2009 Jun 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... Aside from my usual rant in this thread I may have found something that is usefull.

I recently went to reply several times to different threads in this forum only to have FireFox crash repeatedly... I started disabling add-ons one by one and found that when Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22 is disabled FF doesn't crash...  I don't know if that was the actual problem, but it worked for me and may help others.

To disable it goto Tools->Add-ons and then click the Plug-ins button tab.  You can scroll down until you see it and there may be two that say Shockwave Flash.  The one I have disabled is 10.0 r22 as I mentioned above... I also disabled the Microsoft DRM plug-ins as I don't remember where those came from.. So  I'll probably have trouble on some other site now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2009 Jun 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so now let's turn to the utter pile of garbage called 'Your Stuff'.

Firstly, I want to turn off the PM system here for me completely. Basically, it gets abused with questions that should be on the forum, and not private/personal stuff at all. Can I? No, of course not. Can I even select all of the posts in my in-box at once and delete them? No, of course not - I have to go through them one at a time. Can I stop this system sending me a spam email every time somebody else puts a message in there? Of course not. Can I put a message that everybody can't help seeing asking them not to send me forum questions there? Of course not...

AAAGHHHHH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2009 Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as well as continued bad behaviour with Firefox, there's a little matter of cookie expiration. Don't, whatever you do, type a long reply to anybody if your daily cookie is about to expire, because if this happens during typing, and you try to post it, you'll lose the lot - with no chance whatsoever of recovery unless by some miracle the recovery system actually works. That's about one time in four. Will you know that this is happening? Will you get any sort of warning at all? The answer to both questions is, of course, No.

Is it bloody frustrating? YES!!!

Can you select what you just typed, right-click and get a copy option? Don't be bloody silly - of course not! You have to use the browser.

Is any of this behaviour necessary? Well, since the previous forum had non-expiring cookies, I'd say NO. Of course if this was proper forum software, you'd get the option of determining how long you remain logged on for - as you do on AudioMasters and any other phpbb forum.

It's actually happened with this post - but fortunately I'd saved it. Which is a good job, because the recovery system only had about half of it.

It's really annoying, because the system clearly knows that you are typing a reply, and is prepared to make an attempt to save up to the point where you 'expire', so it knows that you are online. Yet it kicks you off anyway. Is that the way user-friendly software should work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2009 Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of which demonstrates the relevance of the NNTP option they removed.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plarsen@mail.tele.dk wrote:

All of which demonstrates the relevance of the NNTP option they removed.

It's sort-of worse than that. They slung out an entire system which, although not perfect, worked fine - despite what they might claim.

And what makes it worse still is that as a company, Adobe have a policy of not releasing beta software. Well, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't say that this forum software was anywhere near release quality, myself. If Adobe aren't prepared to release products of their own in this sort of state (and they aren't, believe me), then why are they prepared to use something written by some other company that they wouldn't release themselves, on their forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

my understanding is that they failed to specify the forum software they had and what they bought so they didn't even know that they were doing and just headed on at 120 mph in the fog of ignorance.

Every single messaging system I have seen since I used Fidonet via the Spot point-software on my amiga has been less capable. It was in the BBS stoneage that I used online systems and writing in a text editor and then pasting, I didn't like it then and moved to offline reading and replying and that's what I prefer to use. So I don't get much read here, nor on audiomasters, at least not with my laptop. I am moving my officeputing back to a stationary, perhaps that will change how I see this, but it may remain so that if I can't do it via Outlook Express, then it plain will not get done.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, it's been a couple of months, so a quick Hi, then back to Audiomasters.

PC_Pete's letter to Adobe is just beyond lovely.  Enjoy at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446892?tstart=0.

I do see a couple of small improvements here:

--file attachments now are "All file types are allowed except: .doc, .bin, .dms, .lha, .lzh, .exe, .class, .so, .dll," so I guess audio clips are now OK.

--I don't have to log in everytime I try to post a reply.  Not that you should.  But "remember me" doesn't (didn't) work, so when I started lurking a short while ago, I wasn't logged in.  I did that when posting a reply to the PC_Pete letter, and it remembered me when I hit reply on this one.

Small steps, sure, but they're steps.  It still cracks me up that Jive's feedback forum page, at the bottom, states: "Jive combines collaboration software, community software & social networking software into the leading SBS solution."  I don't know what an SBS solution is, but if this is the leading one, I hate to think of the trailing one.  Tis the destruction of community that has occurred.

Still can't access this forum from home without interminable waits, and worse, eBay is now like that too.  I think there's a Java-script problem that doesn't have a proper instruction set for old Pentium-III computers.  So it just grinds to a halt.  And sorry, still not going out and getting a new computer.  It's approaching the level of need, but isn't there yet.

See ya at AudioMasters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2009 Jul 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MusicConductor wrote:

--I don't have to log in everytime I try to post a reply.  Not that you should.  But "remember me" doesn't (didn't) work, so when I started lurking a short while ago, I wasn't logged in.  I did that when posting a reply to the PC_Pete letter, and it remembered me when I hit reply on this one.

Small steps, sure, but they're steps.  It still cracks me up that Jive's feedback forum page, at the bottom, states: "Jive combines collaboration software, community software & social networking software into the leading SBS solution."  I don't know what an SBS solution is, but if this is the leading one, I hate to think of the trailing one.  Tis the destruction of community that has occurred.

Well I'm glad you think it works - sometimes it can't even remember me for long enough to edit a reply even when I'm logged in!

SBS obviously stands for Significantly Bullshitted Software, so that should all make sense now. Of course it's the best at that.

I like the read count on this thread too - next stop 10,000. Well, look on the bright side - at least it's testing the counter...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was tempted to join the fun and poke a bit more fun at this so-call software....

....then I clicked the links and read more of the Jive pages.

It turns out that NOTHING I could come up with would be as funny (in a cringe-worth way) as their over-blown, buzz-word-laden rubbish.  I particularly recommend their "manifesto".

Jive isn't a software company.  It's some kind of motivational, evangelical speaker run wild.

Maybe they should have stuck to the motivational seminars.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've pretty much given up coming to this forum specifically because of the lousy forum software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Howes wrote:

I bet they provided free lunches...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

Bob Howes wrote:

I bet they provided free lunches...

Naw, they probably send you out shopping for groceries,

part of the lunch-process team-building exercise.

The JIVE opening video is either hilarious or terrifying, depending on

your proximity to corporate employment.  I kept expecting the

pointy-haired boss to make a pitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Al the Drifter wrote:

Naw, they probably send you out shopping for groceries,

part of the lunch-process team-building exercise.

I was thinking along the lines of there being no such thing as a free lunch - but you might just have a point.

The JIVE opening video is either hilarious or terrifying, depending on

your proximity to corporate employment.  I kept expecting the

pointy-haired boss to make a pitch.

That's another good point - it hadn't occurred to me that Dogbert's evil corporation may actually be real!

But having seen what they've said about software and projects recently it all makes a lot of sense - in a very bad way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a test.

I'm getting the forum via email (as a new Audition user it's useful

finding out what's tripping up other newbies, thanks) and what with all

the snarling comment (justified, I'm sure) the forum software is

generating, I thought I'd test it with an email response and see if that

gets through. Maybe. Maybe not.

Simon

/
\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real test is to start a new thread via email. And to get emailed-in

posts to echo to the sender.

That said, welcome to a great audio tool.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahahahaahahahahaahahaha

lol @ peterlarsen

this thread is hilarious

adobe a bunch of chumps, with no flavor.

adobo >>> adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change is inevitable.  So is the passage

of much time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines