Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imminent Forum Demise

Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are no doubt aware:

>ANNOUNCEMENT: Forums will be unavailable for planned system maintenance starting at 3pm PST on April 3, 2009. New forums will be online on Monday April 6, 2009.

Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights?

And if you want to go somewhere to get your questions answered where you can also do useful things like post screenshots and files, etc then you are more than welcome at AudioMasters where we might get the odd blown fuse, but at least we can mend them...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 155 Replies 155
Engaged ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, believe me, Steve, I don't think this forum is actually good, or likable, but those tiny improvements I mentioned above were things that we'd all complained about.  Sort of like pulling weeds on the way to the poison ivy patch.

No, it still doesn't keep me logged in when it's supposed to, nor does it correctly remember my Adobe ID because it puts up my email address instead of my ID name on the login page.  And this thing takes a long time to load a reply page on my state-of-the-art fancy wancy Dell computer.  Or load anything on this forum.  I won't rehash what this does to my old Pentium III, but it almost has to be seen to be believed.  AudioMasters remains next to instant.

Hey, do you think we can actually push this to 10,000 views?  That would be something.

Consider the dictionary definition of "Jive."  They're just living up to the name.  I wonder exactly how much stock Scott Adams has in this thing?

All this complaining isn't healthy or godly, so I'll go back under my rock now for a long time.  Ya'll have a great day!  Somewhere else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok aside from some of my erroneous comments in this thread I actually have something constructive to add...

I've noticed that most of the crashing occurs when I have other tabs open besides the forum.  When I have my yahoo mail open this forum sometimes crashes when I try to reply.  If I close all other tabs then I can reply, but wierd things start to happen to other tabs that I open.  If I start to reply to the forum and then open up my yahoo mail and start to reply there and switch to the forum and then back to the yahoo mail then the font in my mail is turned bold and has grown in size...  I don't know if it's this forum causing the font issue because I kind of remember that happening a few times before, but the fact that I can't reply when other tabs are open is interesting...

This computer only has about 256MB of physical memory so maybe the forum is trying to get memory, but the request fails and the code isn't checking to see if the memory allocation failed or not ???

Maybe they didn't close a block somewhere ???

Maybe this reply will get through...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2009 Aug 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always notice an increase in CPU cooler fan speed when viewing this forum. So I have just been monitoring processor use on this and the Audimaster's forums. On my dual 3GHz this forum peaks at a massive 55% usage when going backwards and forwards through the threads whereas Auddiomasters is a minimal 9%. Just scrolling up and down a page seems to use anything up to 25%.

What a waste of processing and power!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 08, 2009 Aug 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I tested the forum under FF 3.5 and IE8 and it worked perfect on FF, but IE8 was horrible especially when trying to reply... Then again a lot of other pages were also horrible under IE8 too... After a few updates on this computer it seems to run better, but the reply section is still not right.  The newest FireFox works perfectly though and I haven't had any crashes with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as Firefox is concerned, we appear to be in that rather awkward situation where not only does Firefox get updated, but so does Java. And since so much of this stupid forum is based on Java code that appears to have been appallingly badly slung together (Java isn't normally anywhere near this bad), you can never quite tell what's going to happen next.

As an example of what's sloppy about the Java implementation overall, let's look at the 'insert link' code. Firstly, when you get to post your link, it always starts with http:// and a) that's sometimes inappropriate, and b) it's downright annoying even when it is appropriate. When you copy and paste a link, you invariably get the entire link - and if you just paste it, it won't work properly. Anybody actually using this 'feature' will already be aware of the need to post an entire link, so there's not really any excuse based on 'example', I'd say. But that's not all - when you've finally got your link in there, and you look at what it's been called, you find that it's the entire link! So you have to open the HTML editor to edit this and give it a friendly title anyway if you don't want to create a mess. How simple would it have been to have two boxes, one for the URL and another for a friendly title? Actually pretty simple indeed - so why wasn't it done in this oh so wonderful software...

You will also notice above, or in fact anywhere where http:// is written, that the editor appears to try to treat it as a hyperlink anyway - and that's very poor editor coding, I'd say. At a bare minimum, you should be asked in a pop-up when you type it whether this is intended to be a link or not, and of course this simply doesn't happen.

And whilst we're about it, there's another thing - no rolling eyes emoticon. This would be extremely appropriate on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why make things too easy for us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 08, 2009 Sep 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're well on our way to 10K reads of this thread, now at nearly 8K, so time for the monthly

bump.

Bye for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2009 Sep 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still hacked off about not being able to use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V in the stupid editor... (only a couple of thousand to go!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2009 Sep 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUMP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 30, 2009 Sep 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V are working here.

Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V are working here. Copied and pasted just to be sure...  Still can't select text and then right click to copy/paste though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 13, 2009 Oct 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Already another month has slid by, and the total page views on this thread has passed 10K.  An impressive milestone.

I don't want to be too negative or pessimistic here, but I'll make a confession: the romantic optimist in me had generated some sort of false hope that a thread like this would make a difference.  Sure, some of the basic limitations and errors of the initial release have been improved, for whatever reason.  So what?  The basic feel of this is still very kludgy.  How about a really massive improvement like NEW FORUM SOFTWARE THAT IS ACTUALLY SENSIBLE.

Oh dear, I've resorted to yelling.  Forgive me.  At least we can still do that.

So this false hope thing....  yeah, like 10K reads would generate such a groundswell of dissatisfaction, a chorus of dismay, that Adobe would kindly heed our cries and make a change.

Well, not yet, anyway.

That's not the only false hope.  Remember, this is a U-2-U forum, so there's no likelihood of any official Adobe comment, let alone any guarantee that an appropriate staffer would ever see it.  I guess I was also hoping someone would throw us a bone and raise our hopes.  If hope defies logic, is it still a good thing?

So let's get back to debating helpful things like if a tree falls in a forest and nobody hears it, is there actually sound, or if a guy falls in a forest and there's woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

See ya'll over at http://www.audiomastersforum.net.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except that Audiomasters Forum seems to be down today (at least I can't get on to it here in the UK). Just message saying "Database error, Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator". And since none of the links on that page work I cannot report it to a moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing this also (or, not seeing anything either, as the case may be!).  Any AM admins reading this?  A most unusual display of insecurity.  Very ill timed!  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, seen it - but for some strange reason it won't let me fix it (this is a straightforward server issue and it's happened a few times before - just needs a reset) so Despised7 will have to look at it when he wakes up... anyway, sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MusicConductor wrote:

Wow. Already another month has slid by, and the total page views on this thread has passed 10K.  An impressive milestone.

I'm glad you said 'milestone' - because now I want 20,000!

And AudioMasters is fixed again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More aggro:

When you post, there's a line at the bottom about attachments - we've mentioned it before. Now it says:

Max Size: 5.0 MB                 , All file types are allowed except: .doc, .bin, .dms, .lha, .lzh, .exe, .class, .so, .dll

Can you see the extension .scp in the disallowed list? No, neither can I. But if you try posting a perfectly legitimate Audition .scp file it says that the extension isn't allowed! So, you have to save it as a .txt file and get the recipient to rename it.

The 'allowed extensions' thing is all rubbish anyway - since you can save a .txt file with unicode extensions in it, into which I think you could copy any of the above, you could post just about anything - so what's the point????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> so what's the point????

I don't know.  So aggravating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2009 Nov 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least my Login cookie seems to be longer lasting now rather than resetting every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that mine is too!

I just figured that the Cookie Monster had been made redundant due to cost saving measures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite Spot wrote:

I just figured that the Cookie Monster had been made redundant due to cost saving measures?

Not sure about that, but here it still inserts the wrong Adobe ID that has to be changed to log in. And it still seems often to trigger a Firefox crash when I try to post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, they've been playing with it, that's for sure - it behaves differently to the way it did a few days ago. Now, it seems to log me out more frequently, but simply clicking onto Login again restores it - sometimes automatically without me having to do anything. But not consistently!

So, just to misquote Star Trek once again (for those who missed it before) - "It's forum software, Jim - but not as we know it"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteveG, That's something I've noticed as well, but only with earlier versions of FireFox...  If you are a FireFox user this is what I would suggest...

1) Download the latest FireFox version, but don't install yet...

2) Uninstall the previous version of FireFox even if it's the same one you just downloaded...

3) Go into the 'Program Files' folder or wherever you installed FireFox and delete the 'Mozilla FireFox' folder if it is still there...

4) Now install the version you just downloaded and then download any plug-ins you might need like Flash player and then...

5) Profit!!!

Why do this?  Because of a recent security alert that went out.  It mentioned something about the 'components' folder in FireFox and how if a plug-in or component were dropped in that particular folder there would be no way to know it was there and no way to disable it.  Who knows what kind of security risk that would create or what kind of damage it could do to your browsing experience...  So the procedure I gave above should prevent any lingering components from old FireFox installations from corrupting a brand new install. \o/

Hope that helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2009 Nov 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why I have suddenly got U7UZiL tagged onto my user name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy New Year.  Not happy new forum!

Well, in October Steve G wished for 20,000 views on this topic, not 10K.  We're halfway to the next milestone, so once again, bumpus rumpus.

And in November I'd wished for some clue that an Adobe employee was aware of our whining.  Wish granted.  The other wish concerned the larger issue: the still-awful performance of this website that continues to send me packing month after month.  It must certainly be a non-likelihood that Adobe would dump this system so soon after moving to it.  One can only hope.  Please oh please oh please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines