Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imminent Forum Demise

Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are no doubt aware:

>ANNOUNCEMENT: Forums will be unavailable for planned system maintenance starting at 3pm PST on April 3, 2009. New forums will be online on Monday April 6, 2009.

Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights?

And if you want to go somewhere to get your questions answered where you can also do useful things like post screenshots and files, etc then you are more than welcome at AudioMasters where we might get the odd blown fuse, but at least we can mend them...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 155 Replies 155
People's Champ ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but it's very interesting that those running the forum didn't feel it worthwhile to keep a useful FAQ but four year posts about microphones (not even directly about Audition) are still cluttering up the place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2011 Feb 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now this forum software's doing something even weirder. When it displays here, there are two identical threads showing at the top of the forum, and if I post in one of them, it automatically shows up in both!

This isn't forum software at all, it's just a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2011 Feb 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to have fixed itself again, but it's still doing slightly weird stuff with logins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE TO OLD THREAD!

This one was started in April of 2009, as you can see. In honor of last weekend's Jive software upgrade, I just took a stroll through this old rant tome to see where we've been and where we've come.  It's good to be able to say, we've come a long way, baby.  Some who've enjoyed being a part of the Audition community for several years or more might still think that improvements haven't yet gone far enough to support the community experience at the level where it's been in the past.  However, I believe that for most users, the bulk of the inconveniences have disappeared and things are working decently.  The majority of the gripes in the many posts of this thread have actually, over a period of time, been resolved.

Here are some remaining deficiencies, thankfully a reasonably short list:

• We still miss the formidable contributions of OzPeter, and wish him very well at whatever else he's devoted his time to.
  • The debacle involving FAQs has been mitigated somewhat by Steve G's efforts to port some essentials into that area.  Thank you, Steve!  The full archive, and huge amounts of information concerning legacy versions of the software, are still available at the Audiomasters Forum.
  • Software: the forum software no longer appears to support the attachment of files beyond a photo or video clip.  Am I seeing this correctly?  If so, that needs to be corrected.
  • Software: inserting the link above is automatically defaulted to displaying the full link with no option to alter the display text.  A workaround is to use the advanced editor mode (you can see I successfully changed it).  But this should be available in the initial popup box.
  • Software: efficiency has definitely improved, but these pages are still resource hogs.  Thankfully I no longer have to use the old computer that nearly croaked over this forum 2 1/2 years ago -- but that hardware only changed last December!  Is this Java-based platform efficient?  Well, right now I've got a slew of tabs open in IE, and Windows Task Manager shows 10 different ieexplore.exe processes, all of which have a rising quantity of memory usage, presently from 103MB up to 175MB.  That's a total of 1.1GB of memory!!!  This tab I'm presently typing in still places a small continuous CPU load even when not typing or doing anything.  So while this is better (e.g., scrolling pages works smoothly now, same machine and OS as with the previous problem), and it's really not a major problem at this point, Jive can't be called efficient by any means.
  • Software: the new tabs for Overview, All Content, Discussions, and Documents at first glace appear to be helpful ideas, but only with Discussions is there demarcation of read or non-read threads.  That forces a choice between that and convenience, where you can see everything together with the All Content tab (which otherwise would have been my choice, but doesn't show me where I've already visited).

Carry on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MusicConductor wrote:

• Software: the new tabs for Overview, All Content, Discussions, and Documents at first glace appear to be helpful ideas, but only with Discussions is there demarcation of read or non-read threads.  That forces a choice between that and convenience, where you can see everything together with the All Content tab (which otherwise would have been my choice, but doesn't show me where I've already visited).

It works fine, as long as you remember that All Content is, for all the world, effectively redundant.

As for attachments - well I haven't tried it. But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that this needs to be reset from the defaults, because the defaults are pretty much what we appear to have here - check your email preferences!

The completely missed opportunity about fixing the links dialogue properly, I've already referred to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After I posted this, then I saw your discussion with Todd on his announcement thread.

Defaults?  Yes indeed -- I just got your reply in my email inbox thanks to default email preferences overwriting my preferences!  Now all shut off again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines