• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is a mono recording suppose to only play on one ear?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I hope you can help.

I have recorded a podcast episode with Blue Yeti and selected the Input setting as Mono-Yeti Stereo Front Left. When listening to it with my headphones I can only hear it from the left ear. Is this due to the selected Input or Output settings when recording? How do I need to have my settings if I want to listen to the same thing with both ears.

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes your recording settings are correct. But you should be recording your podcast as a mono file so you see just one waveform. Are you recording it into the Waveform view or onto a Track in Multitrack view? If in Multitrack view it will also depend on whether you podcast is recorded into a mono or stereo session? You would probably use a stereo session if you were going to add stereo music or SFX into the podcast. Otherwise if it is just speech a mono session will be fine.

Once the voice audio is recorded and you play it back you should be able to hear it routed as mono to both ears of your headphones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks,

I have selected a Multitrack session and after that in the "Master" I have selected Mono. I am planning to add some music...
As I am playing it in the editor view, it only plays on one ear. What am I doing wrong 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It partly depends on what audio interface you are using and how it is set up in Windows Sounds setup. Normally it will be expecting a stereo music signal to play back. So when you play a mono only signal it may only get sent to one output channel of your headphones. What audio interface are you using?  However most external USB audio interfaces should and will play back a mono audio file in the Waveform view through both output channels.

So basically the answer to your original question is yes a mono recording will only play to one ear unless you include it in a Stereo Multitrack session where you will pan it to center to play equally out of both channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines