• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loading the default input and output devices failed: MME device internal error. Would you like to review Audition's audio hardware preferences?

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One week ago, everything in Audition worked fine. Then, Windows 10 forced an update on me. Now, nothing works. I can't get audio to play out, nor can I record audio in. When I open Audition, I get the following error notice:

"Loading the default input and output devices failed: MME device internal error. Would you like to review Audition's audio hardware preferences?"

When I go through the preferences, every option I might change is appended with "not working." I can't seem to find anything to change within windows settings to help the problem. I'm still able to listen to audio (both through my headphones and internal speakers). I can't seem to get audio in no matter what I do though (not even in the windows voice recorder).

I've tried using a handful of different microphones, none of which are working.

I'm working on an HP Envy, if that matters.

Also, Adobe, if you're listening, I'm very disappointed that you sent me to a forum to have this fixed. I'm paying for Audition. I can't pay for products that don't work/are difficult to use and that come with customer no-service. If this isn't cleared up quickly, I'll quit using it and find something else.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

For me the following simple trick solved this problem:

Go to setting/privacy settings/microphone

look at the setting that allows apps to access the microphone, if disabled set to "on"

(Disabling this setting apparently makes all audio inputs invisible to apps)

I got the idea from this discussion: www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/8k3vb4/psa_the_latest_windows_10_update_1803_has_caused/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't pre-judge the forum; we can be remarkably effective. Also, as we actually use the software, we know a damn sight more about it than the helpdesk does - as gets proved quite frequently...

What this sounds like is an MME error. The first thing to do is to look at the Device Class setting and see if there's another driver class available - for instance, WASAPI - and try that. There is another alternative too, and that's to download the (free) ASIO4ALL driver, which has the huge advantage of actually analysing the state of your audio hardware; this can help a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me if I'm overly harsh. I mean no disrespect to the forum, but Adobe really should be doing better on this. Maybe they could even train their helpdesk on using the software...

I have already tried changing to WASAPI, which gave me no better result. I have no clue what the difference is. Shouldn't Adobe provide some kind of internal help that explains these technical issues so that we know what the different options are supposed to mean? Or do we just expect every end software user to be an audio technician?

On your advice, I've downloaded the driver you mentioned. Of course, that's still problematic. I don't know what it's supposed to do, and I'm not really comfortable downloading free software from unknown publishers and allowing it to make changes to my computer, particularly not just because a person in an online forum told me to. Like I say, if I pay money for software - and particularly if I pay a subscription for it - I don't think it's unreasonable that it should work flawlessly out-of-the-box with the newest iteration of the world's most popular operating system without depending on me to download third-party software and troubleshoot technical problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidf97879629  wrote

Forgive me if I'm overly harsh. I mean no disrespect to the forum, but Adobe really should be doing better on this. Maybe they could even train their helpdesk on using the software...

In general, using the software isn't an issue; fault-finding is, though, and that's not a thing you can effectively teach quickly (or sometimes even at all). On top of that, the helpdesk would have to be capable of doing this with every product, and there simply isn't the time available for that. I'm not trying to defend the helpdesk here, merely pointing out that their policy is perhaps somewhat inevitable. What they are actually there for is to sort out subscription problems - I'm not even sure if they cover installation issues any more, although they used to. To staff the helpdesk at the level you would like to see would add a significant amount of cost to the software, I'm sure.

I have already tried changing to WASAPI, which gave me no better result. I have no clue what the difference is. Shouldn't Adobe provide some kind of internal help that explains these technical issues so that we know what the different options are supposed to mean? Or do we just expect every end software user to be an audio technician?

WASAPI is Microsoft's latest version of a sound driver - it stands for Windows Audio Session Application Programming Interface, and is much more likely to work correctly with a modern operating system. I don't think that everybody needs necessarily to be an audio technician, although having a grasp of at least the basics of a system you expect to be able to use doesn't sound that unreasonable to me...

On your advice, I've downloaded the driver you mentioned. Of course, that's still problematic. I don't know what it's supposed to do, and I'm not really comfortable downloading free software from unknown publishers and allowing it to make changes to my computer, particularly not just because a person in an online forum told me to. Like I say, if I pay money for software - and particularly if I pay a subscription for it - I don't think it's unreasonable that it should work flawlessly out-of-the-box with the newest iteration of the world's most popular operating system without depending on me to download third-party software and troubleshoot technical problems.

In the real world, the people - particularly at Microsoft, but also Apple - who are 'responsible' for rolling out operating systems don't operate on the basis of keeping all software operating flawlessly all of the time; in fact that's the least of their worries. Neither do they operate any form of a sub-sequential loss policy, which means that effectively they don't even need to care about it - so they don't. And they can make changes to their OS's at any time they like, without even bothering to warn other parties. And they do. So I'm afraid that your expectations here are somewhat unrealistic. Even more so when you consider that many people use Audition with external sound devices, and they have their own driver issues from third-party suppliers to contend with as well - and that may well be an issue you have.

As for ASIO4ALL - if you were that worried about it, why did you download it without asking for more information first?

Never mind, I'll tell you anyway. Firstly, it doesn't make any changes to your computer, as such, at all. Secondly, we've been using it for many years now as a diagnostic interface, and there's nothing better available, certainly at the price. Audition's audio 'engine' is fundamentally an ASIO-based one, and ideally is best used with a manufacturer's ASIO driver, but they are generally not available for built-in sound devices. What ASIO4ALL does is to provide an interface between Audition's engine and the sound device driver Windows provides. Most importantly though, it diagnoses the state of the device, and tells you whether you have significant issues with it. Internally, Audition has something very similar to ASIO4ALL to operate with Windows drivers, but it's not visible and has no diagnostics as such. ASIO4ALL is simply replacing that with something you can see!

As a result of Microsoft's upgrade though, you may need to download from HP a revised sound driver; I have read some comments on the HP forums about people having similar problems to yours, and checking and updating that driver would be one of the first things to check. But initially, try selecting ASIO4ALL in the device class, click on the 'settings' button and have a look at the display - click on the spanner in the lower RH corner, and you should get a display like this:

ASIO4ALL.JPG

If it looks exactly like the picture above (this is from my HP laptop, incidentally) then the interface is working fine, and we'd have to look at the sound settings elsewhere in the machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

look at the setting that allows apps to access the microphone, if disabled set to "on"

I got the idea from this discussion: www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/8k3vb4/psa_the_latest_windows_10_update_1803_has_caused/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may work for you, but I have to tell you that the microphone is permanently disabled on this laptop, and the rest of the sound works fine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I get to eat my hat. ah19873347 had the winning solution. Windows update turned the microphone to private. Turning it off resolved the problem. Not sure why it also turned the speakers off, but turning the mike on fixed both problems. Looks like I spoke to soon. Adobe can hardly be blamed for Microsoft's goof up here. Thanks fellas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Это даже не трюк вовсе брат, если при установке виндовс нет микрофона он предлагает эти самые варианты по умолчанию. И если новый человек начинает с этим сталкиваться значит он будет оь этом спрашивать!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This hapened to me in windows 11. Audition was working great with my shure microphone and then it suddenly started throwing an error. To fix, I had to toggle the privacy to off and then back on. Instantly everything started to work again. Do this for the Audition app in the following location: settingss/privacy settings/microphone 

ah19873347  New Here , May 29, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Microsoft stole this ridiculous idea from Apple - they've had this as a 'feature' for ages, and we've had tp alert a number of users to it. I suspect that by default (well up to now...) the mic input in Windows apps may have been enabled by default, because there haven't been any complaints about it, unlike with Macs where mics are definitely off until enabled.

Incidentally the path in W10 is Settings>Privacy>App permissions>Microphone and then there are a load of options to work through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines