Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

missing half of my wedding recording, please help

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Audition CC (2017)

Hello all, yesterday I was in charge of filming a wedding, nobody was there to run sound so I brought my usual setup for recording audio, to make sure I could get the vows.

I started the recording as normal, and once the ceremony had concluded I went back to my computer to end the recording and save and all that.

When I returned I saw the recording was still going and it showed that it had been recording the whole time but today when I went to listen back to it, I found I only have the first 11 minutes.

I can no longer find the vows or any of the important parts, this is on top of the fact that my camera memory card corrupted itself and after retrieving the video files I've found that the file with the kiss and exchanging of the rings is damaged as well, so now I have the Audio and video for the first half of this wedding but not any part that matters.

Does anyone have any idea where the missing audio file may be?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Well, only a guess but in Waveform you are recording to a temp file and your files aren't permanent until they're saved. That temp file is a location specified in Preferences and, if that space on the disk gets full, recording will just stop. For long shoots you can also hit the limits of your OS disk system but I'm sure that's not the case here.

In multitrack you're recording straight to disk and you can also turn on that backup feature I mentioned and do a second recording on a different di

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't be too hopeful but to be sure, can you let us know if you were recording in Multitrack or Waveform View, details of your computer, interface, sample rate and bit depth, and whether you were recording to a HDD. 

If you were recording in Multitrack, (and if you are on a current CC version) it's worth checking the folder you specified for the project for a sub folder called "Backup".  Recent version of Audition CC can be set to record a backup version of your project in the Backup file.  If you don't have this option turned on, it's worth doing so in the Edit/Preferences menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was recording in waveform view on a MacBook Pro running Sierra 10.12.6, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, with 8GB of ram and I was recording to a SSD, through a Yamaha MG12XU mixer, sample rate is 48000 Hz and bit depth 32-bit.

If I can't retrieve the footage do you have any idea of why this happened or how to avoid it in the future? (and maybe some tips on how to break the news to the newly married couple?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, only a guess but in Waveform you are recording to a temp file and your files aren't permanent until they're saved. That temp file is a location specified in Preferences and, if that space on the disk gets full, recording will just stop. For long shoots you can also hit the limits of your OS disk system but I'm sure that's not the case here.

In multitrack you're recording straight to disk and you can also turn on that backup feature I mentioned and do a second recording on a different disk or even the cloud.

Sorry I can't help with the client!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahh I see, I understand how recording in multitrack can be advantageous then, thank you for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines