Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move multiple markers in Multitrack view

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I set up quite. long multitrack timeline. I separated different parts with range markers. So far so good, but now I realize that I have forgotten one little peace of sound right at the beginning of the tracks. I now want to move all my selected tracks back in time. I can do that by selecting everything between in and out points and move it thereafter. Unfortunately I cannot move or shift multiple markers. Even worse, I can't even select more than one marker, let alone moving it.

There must be a way to do this right? For example fixing the markers to the underlying tracks, or something like that?...

Thanks for the help.

PS: I realize that this is probably the same question, but I thought because it is quite old, I'll start a new thread.

Cheers

Moving multiple markers at once in multitrack view

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Well, you can't do that at all! Fortunately you don't have to, as there's a much easier way to achieve a bit more time at the start of the session: Put the cursor at zero time and go Edit>Insert>Silence. You get a box appearing that asks you how much time, so you put in a bit  more than you think you need. It doesn't matter if you get this wrong, as you can add more the same way. And this works anywhere in the session, so if you discover something else you want to add, you can do that too. Just

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you can't do that at all! Fortunately you don't have to, as there's a much easier way to achieve a bit more time at the start of the session: Put the cursor at zero time and go Edit>Insert>Silence. You get a box appearing that asks you how much time, so you put in a bit  more than you think you need. It doesn't matter if you get this wrong, as you can add more the same way. And this works anywhere in the session, so if you discover something else you want to add, you can do that too. Just bear in mind that this action will split clips, so be careful where you do it.

If you add too much time, then there are two solutions; one is to mix down just the time selection that you want, but if you want the session to start exactly at the start of your new insert point, then select all the time between zero and that point, and use Edit>Ripple Delete>Time Selection In All Tracks

This is seriously a lot easier than what you are suggesting!

Incidentally, the other thing you have to bear in mind about Markers in multitrack is that they only relate to the timeline - they have no relationship with clips at all. If you think about the concept of non-linear, non-destructive editing for a bit, you'll realise why...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. That should do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had so many markers and edited the front a lot before I realized I needed to move the markers. My plan B was to do the math for the difference in time I added in front, then edit the clips panel starting at the bottom by adding the time difference. Took about 5 minutes for 22 markers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip ! It is a working workaround but shouldn't be a solution for moving several markers at once 🙂 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't see why you would need to. It's a virtual environment for a start, and the markers aren't tied to any clips (they can't possibly be) so any solution to moving markers and keeping any sort of relationship to the clips already inserted has to involve an action that will effect both - and the only way to do that is by inserting or deleting time overall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A marker is tied to the content (chapter for a CD/DVD, extract for a podcast, a mark for a recall, etc...), so if you add an audio on whatever track and move all the content, you should be able to move all the markers.

In my workflow, it happens all the time (I make podcasts, and add the intro at the end, after having marked all my extracts).

It is not a matter of tiding to a clip, it is more tiding to the overall content. 

Anyway, I add a uservoice feature request here, for those interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I try this way, the markers really stay where they were. They don't move. And since I use it in a DJ mix where I use markers to indicate where my transitions are and where I want to cut pieces out, that's damn hard. Because now I want to put an intro for it and that makes this impossible. And besides that, I need those same markers to import into Adobe Premiere. So that I can put titles and cut out the pieces of video in the same places to shorten the mix. Because if I do it all immediately in premiere, the cutting will not be seamless. In addition, the options in audition are a lot more extensive and clearer.

DJ-skip
http://dj-skip.ddns.net
http://dj-skipmixcloud.ddns.net
dj.skip.rotterdam@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines