• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Normalizing audio erases it (here we go again)

Participant ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's been a year since I last posted this, and it's happening again with whatever update has happened recently.

When I try to Normalize an audio file (doesn't matter what kind. A random mp3 or a wav file exported directly from Premier Pro or an aif file recorded on a digital recorder), it 'erases' it. By that I mean, I try to normalize it to -3 or -.1 or -6, using either the Favorites or directly through the Normalize effect, and what comes out after processing is a 100% blank audio. So either it's erasing it or it's normalizing it down to negative infinity...but the result is the same. a completely blank waveform.  I can amplify (using the Amplify effect) and that works fine. But I can't normalize it to a specific level.

As I said, this happened a year ago (I did a search on this topic and my post from July 20, 2018 popped up). There was no answer then.

Mac running latest system. Audition build 12.1.1.42

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give the link to your original post please so that you don't have to go through the whole explanation again and what happened then? It is a very unusual problem that nobody else seems to have seen. And since Audition has gone through several different versions since last July it seems to be unlikely to be a common bug. Will await the link to last year's thread before proceeding any further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryclark  wrote

Can you give the link to your original post please so that you don't have to go through the whole explanation again and what happened then?

Don't worry - I've found it for you... Normalizing erases audio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All very strange. Have you reported it as an Audition Bug to Adobe? What made it go away originally? Even if you can't see the waveform does the result play any audio after the Normalisation? If you try previewing the audio in the Normalisation panel before applying it does it appear to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as I mentioned,  there was zero response last time so there was no point in dredging up a post from a year ago. And as I've said the only thing I do is normalize the audio. And it goes completely and utterly blank. And nothing plays. it's silent. it either erases it or it lowers it to infinity (can't tell what it's doing but the end result is an absence of any audio)

And it looks like Adobe listened as today's update fixed the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What does the Amplitude Statistics panel show for your file? A screenshot would help. Is there a single sample with a really loud value that causes Au to normalize to that which causes all other audio to become quiet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines