Panning Law (Equation)?

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that the Audition's panning follows 'Constant Panning Law' 

(default panning mode = -3dB center) 

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/icm-online/readings/panlaws/index.html

However, I cannot find any clue regarding what equation applied on the default panning of 

Multitrack session. 

For example, 

Attached equation is found from a paper of Professor James Kates, U. Colorado. 

If I Pan it to R30 and R60, 

What calculation is going on in Audition? Any information? 

Best, 

Myoung 

TOPICS
Audio hardware , Feature requests , How to , Playback , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this information is not available to end users at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why?!! It would be much reliable tool, if Adobe open its formula how panning works... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Audition is a competative commercial product, with all the non-disclosure arrangements you'd expect in place. No formulae for any part of its operational or analytical functions has ever been released, nor will it ever be.  Nor, despite what you claim, does this affect its reliability in any way. Audition is used for editing audio, and as such the information you are after is irrelevant to end users who use their ears to determine where a signal should be panned to in a sound field.

The panning law is not fixed at -3dB/center - you can vary that value. And it's not the only panning option either - there's a L/R cut (logarithmic) option too. But regardless of that, the amount of pan at any given setting would be easy to determine using some test tones. If you are really that desperate to know, then I suggest that you do a little research along those lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines