• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playhead in Audition jumping back to the beginning of the timeline when I hit play or pause

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While editing a huge audio project, about 80% of the time I hit pause or play, the playhead jumps back to the beginning of the timeline. This is driving me crazy, since it means I have to go hunting for the actual point I left off in the project and re-orient myself to the task I was previously immersed in. It's doubling my working time. Is this an option I can turn off? (It's also not consistently happening every time.)

Also, if I've split audio already, sometimes when the playhead moves from one split clip to the next, as soon as it crosses the split, it will jump back to the beginning. I'm starting to pull out my hair every time I hear the first two seconds of my intro music!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Four years later, lol.

I was having this same problem in Audition 2020. The "Return Playhead to Start Position..." wasn't checked, either.

Then I realized...

I had "Loop Playback" activated (it was blue) -- it's that little rectangle with an arrow pointing to the right, located to the immediate right of the Record button. I clicked it (it turned gray) and now I can record wherever I please with no more jumping back to the beginning.

Hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the Play button on the Transport key strip. A right menu dropdown will appear allowing to change how the Play cursor reacts when you stop playback. Also available on the Preferences/Playback page together with other playback options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Unfortunately, "play spectral selection only" appears to already be checked, and "return playhead to start position on stop" is not selected, so it doesn't appear that making this change will fix my particular problem. Thank you for the answer, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the options in the Preferences>Playback page. These are definitely the options you need to change...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per what Steve said, got to Edit/Preferences/Playback and select the appropriate option(s) from there.  The list on right clicking the play arrow doesn't include all the options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yo're a life saver. Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well, but it happens when I make a cut while the audio is playing. Super annoying...

I can't find any option to change this and I'm worried this is just a bug. My solution has been to pause the audio, make my cut and then resume playing. It's not a huge slow down, but I like to make cuts in the multitrack sequence on the fly to cut out non-speaking parts in between voice-overs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same. Often (but not always) when I make a cut, I am skipped back to the beginning of the timeline. I've been using Audition for two years and haven't experienced this until the last few months. Playback settings have not changed and all look normal/correct. Hoping someone might have an update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles,

Here's a clip on youtube of the playhead going back to the beginning after making a cut. In some instances it does so after zooming in or whenever it feels like really. It seems like it gets to more of an issue the farther down the timeline it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SHpL85DBC4&feature=youtu.be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video was helpful! I know which mechanism is resetting the playhead to the start of the session but I wonder why it is triggered at all. As I can't reproduce the issue by following the steps you do in your video, it would be great to have your session. Is it possible to  share that with us (probably the session without the media files is enough)?

Until we have a proper fix for that, turning off looping should be a workaround for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can either paulr23827481​ or kates65651256​ provide a screen recording? That would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles, thanks - I have a screen recording - can I email it to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Best thing to do would be to host it on a service some where and send a URL to the file. You can upload and share files through your Creative Cloud account by going to creative.adobe.com and choosing "Files". After uploading you can create a public link. Then you can send the link to us at audbugs@adobe.com and reference this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done, thanks Charles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be resolved in the 11.0.1 update that was posted last night.

Adobe Audition (version 11.0.1) update now available | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue just start happening today.  I have the most up to date version of Audition it was working 30 minutes ago completely fine and then just stopped.  Ive restarted numerous times and can only assume its a setting that is maybe saved on my file i am editing.  I can't figure out how to get my play head to snap to my next selection it just keeps skipping end to end. HAALP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working in the Waveform or Multitrack view when this is happening? I am a little confused by your workflow description. Can you describe in a bit more detail what you are doing and what happens differently to before? Are you trying to Play a selected piece of audio and the Playhead doesn't stop at the end and carries on past the selection or that you expect it to loop back to the beginning of the selection when it gets to the end? Or is it what happens when you click on Stop that isn't working correctly. All the above are options that can be selected either on right clicking the Play button or in Preferences/Playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cursor behavior when I stop recording is very confusing. Why does it highlight a section rather than just stop the cursor when I press the spacebar??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to start recording at the end of a file. When I hit record Audition records over the beginning of the file. I have to record to a brand new file and paste to the end of the original file.

Auditon 3 let me record at the cursor position. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four years later, lol.

I was having this same problem in Audition 2020. The "Return Playhead to Start Position..." wasn't checked, either.

Then I realized...

I had "Loop Playback" activated (it was blue) -- it's that little rectangle with an arrow pointing to the right, located to the immediate right of the Record button. I clicked it (it turned gray) and now I can record wherever I please with no more jumping back to the beginning.

Hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a saint and a scholar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines