Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Point a beginner in the right direction please

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I need to give myself a crash course in Audition.  Would really appreciate some tips from the the masses on which features and functions I should focus on as I'm a little short on time.  I think my requirement is relatively simple!

I have  [dj] set coming up which includes a few classics (house music).  I want to build the set and keep it moving at a certain level / pace which would be greatly helped by making some simple edits to the arrangement of the tracks, and in some cases the 'levels' of the track.

So the learning requirement is how to cut and past sections of an existing MP3.  Some sections will be removed, some extended (such as an intro). And then how to tweak the base mid and treble before saving it back to MP3.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Hi LabelonUK

Sounds like you just need to set up a new multi-track session, add in the music files you want to beat match, the stretch function should do this fine for you (enable rendered HQ in options --> multitrack clips) If you're editing mp3 files in the multi-track remember to export the final mix as a wav file to avoid further loss in quality! Just drag and drop the files into the session as it's quicker. Editing here is non-destructive, meaning the original files aren't amended...

Audition

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi LabelonUK

Sounds like you just need to set up a new multi-track session, add in the music files you want to beat match, the stretch function should do this fine for you (enable rendered HQ in options --> multitrack clips) If you're editing mp3 files in the multi-track remember to export the final mix as a wav file to avoid further loss in quality! Just drag and drop the files into the session as it's quicker. Editing here is non-destructive, meaning the original files aren't amended...

Audition can't automatically detect the bpm, but there are plenty of tools out there. I'd start with the slowest bpm to the fastest for maximum impact. As for EQ, just use your ears to judge. A lot of the Old Skool tracks were bass heavy or even tinny sounding (mid/high frequencies). If you're taking the tracks off CD they will have been remastered i'm sure... Try not to change the sound too much as the punters will remember how they originally sounded! The good things about late 80s and early 90s house, it's so easy to edit - those big gated reverbs had disappeared! Human Resource, C+C Music Factory etc, anything on Positiva or Strictly Rhythm labels for example (happy memories lol)

No harm is some occasional phasing or flanging during the transitions. For final levels, you can tweak the levels manually in the waveform, or left click to highlight it to change the "basic settings". For a final check of levels just insert the Mastering tool on the master channel. Play around with the settings to find the one that suits you best. You could use the built-in multi-band compressor using the Broadcast pre-set, loud and little dynamic range - but i'd avoid it for this as anything before and after your set would sound too quiet to everyone there!

Sounds like a fun project - enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines