• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording Audio from the Internet

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new computer at home loaded with Windows 7.  I downloaded Audition 3 earlier this week and I am having trouble figuring out how to record audio from the internet (say a youtube video) into Audition.  Keep in mind, this is a home computer.  I don't have a  mixing board set up here at the house.  Any advice? 

Could this be an "unfixable problem?"  I have heard that Windows 7 makes this kind of recording virtually impossible in order to avoid copyright infringement.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably worth having a read through this recent thread here in the Audition forum:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/524251?tstart=30

Yes, a good many computer manufacturers have disabled the feature that lets you record "What U Hear" or similar.  Some have just hidden  the feature and I posted the method to get it back early on in the topic I linked.  Other computers have the feature completely eliminated which largely leaves you out of luck.  There's also a commercial product called "Virtual Audio Cable" which you could try (also linked in the above topic) but that is a paid for programme if you decide you need it.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the machine you have, you can easily get it to work...

1.Open up controll panel

2.Click on hradware and sound

3.Click sound

4.In BOTH playback and recording, right click and check show disabled

5.Right click stereo mix and click enable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clint Marcus wrote:

5.Right click stereo mix and click enable

That's the bit that a lot of manufacturers have disabled - permanently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd probably change "a lot" to "most".  It's more than a year since I've seen any new computer where the "show disabled" trick still gets you what you need to record streaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2010 Jul 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your hardware doesn't support it, just get a cable with two mini jacks (one on each end) and plug one into aux-in and the other into aux-out (headphone if aux-out is not available). Then record aux-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2010 Jul 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The inability of a new installation of Adobe Audition to do

"stream recording" a.k.a. "what you hear" recording

is an FAQ on this forum.  This week I stepped up from 32-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit Windows 7 and got to experience the "joy" of fighting through this issue once again myself, as I had it working before in 32-bit but upon reinstalling in 64-bit, I temporarily struck out until I hunted around a bit.  Let me add one post describing the fix for me to try and help future forum users who search before asking.

If you have hardware that permits* stream recording but still can't get stream recording to fly at all and are in Windows 7, try this.  Go to Control Panel>Sound>Recording tab.  With sound playing over or into the PC, you should see green bars pulsing up and down synched with sound levels for at least one of the inputs listed there.

No green bars for any input there?  Sound is not reaching your sound hardware which of course means that Audition can't record it.  You may need to check the inputs from any external audio gear you are trying to record to ensure they really are correctly connected to your PC, get the correct Windows driver for your sound hardware installed and working, or make a hardware change.

If you see pulsing green bars for an input on the Recording tab when sound is playing over or into your PC, but that input has no green check mark on it, click the device so it's highlighted, and select "Set default."  (On my soundcard, the device that works best for stream recording on Audition is "Line 1/2.")  NOW (this is the part I forgot after reinstalling Windows 7): With the device still highlighted, click the Properties button.  Click the Listen tab and click the "Listen to this device" button so it is checked. I believe this is not checked by default, but on my setup, it is necessary for stream recording to work.

After making either or both of these changes, you may need to reboot to get this to take effect in Windows and get Audition stream recording.

*As it says above, some PCs (particularly some made by Sony) are reputed  to have disabled stream recording because they're intent on enforcing  DRM even if it seriously inconveniences their users who are recording  their own creations.  (If you have such hardware, you might try a "USB  soundcard" as a workaround, as doing this may fix this issue.)  Also, if your motherboard uses built-in sound hardware rather  than a good quality soundcard, it may record though with unacceptable  quality; you may want to add a soundcard at least on a desktop PC, or again, you may want to try a USB soundcard on a laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mel Davis. wrote:

The inability of a new installation of Adobe Audition to do "stream recording" a.k.a. "what you hear" recording is an FAQ on this forum.

That might have been true at some time in the past, but it certainly isn't an FAQ now, because this forum simply doesn't have any of those any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you.  I know it's a sore spot that the original designated FAQs on the forum and great work done by Ozpeter and you and others was taken down, and you're absolutely right.  I meant that it seems every month or two, a new user checks in here with trouble doing stream recording. I meant it's an unofficial FAQ. The issue, especially under AA3 and Vista or Win7 is normally Windows settings, not Audition settings, but people still want to blame Audition for any problems they have doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2010 Jul 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mel Davis. wrote:

I hear you.  I know it's a sore spot that the original designated FAQs on the forum and great work done by Ozpeter and you and others was taken down, and you're absolutely right.

Well they're not really lost - it's just that Ozpeter and I decided that there was a much safer place for them, and that's where they all are - tidied up a bit.

So you will find them all (recategorised to suit the forum format) here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines