• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying To Save MP3 16-Bit But Always Saves As 32-Bit Float

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I edit wave / MP3 files in Adobe Audition, Build 24.4.1.3 ... I convert it to 44.1 Khz (sample rate doesn't matter) and from either 8 bit (or 32 bit) to 16-bits, and save it ... If I exit and re-load it into Audition it's 32 Bit float (sample rates are correct, just not the 16 bit depth). I even loaded a saved file into VLC and it's also says 32 bits.

Steps To Repeat:

1. Load an audio file, convert it to, or make sure it is 16-bit audio (ss1.png).

2. Save-As, make sure it's 16-bits, mp3. I used "Test.mp3" in this example.

3. Look at the file in another program, such as VLC, and it's 32 bits (ss2.png).

4. Re-load it (open) and it's 32-bit float (ss3.png).

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had a quick Google, as I understand it MP3s don't have a bit depth only a bit rate, the depth reported seems to depend on the decoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it's very simple - when Audition re-opens any compressed format file at all, it is decoded into a 32-bit format. If you want to find out definitively what the format of a stored file is, you have to look at its preferences in your OS. And no, this is not a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about that. Before if I saved in 8 (or 16) bits and reloaded it, it was "as if it was saved", 8 or 16 (not 32 regardless). Remember I also used VLC and checked the encoding of the file I saved in Audition, and it was 32 bits. Before that, the 16 bit file also showed 16 bits in VLC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it really is very simple, and you can check it yourself easily. If you create an MP3 file in Audition, re-open it aand look at its properties, you'll find that they will display the files's properties as you saved them, and the same thing will be displayed in the metadata. But if you look at the bottom right corner of the screen, it will show you the properties of the file as Audition re-opened it, and that will say that it's been opened as a 32-bit file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's what I have been doing as well. It's 32 bit in the properties as well. Only for MP3, the WAV one is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines