• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uninstalling Old Versions after Catalina Update (old Uninstaller doesn't work since it's 32bit)

Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm on a Macbook Pro 2016, running Catalina 10.15.1 (64bit OS).

I upgraded to Audition 2020, and I'd like to get rid of all previous versions of Audition.

When I click on the uninstaller for Audition CS6, I get an error message saying that the Uninstaller doesn't work, and that I should contact the developer of the App. I've attached a Screen Grab.

I suspect the CS6 has associated files in several places (Applications, Library etc...).

Does Adobe have a 64bit version of the Uninstaller?

If not, and I have to do a manual Uninstall, could you tell me the procedure to remove Audition CS6 from all places in my Mac?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Rajnesh

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Version 3 and earlier

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Steve's correct that manually deleting the application folder will do an adequate job, but you'll obviously still have preference and cache files left behind in several locations.  It's probably simplest to use the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool which can remove all traces of CS6-era applications.  You can download it and find instructions to using it at https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All versions of Audition install stuff all over the place - that's partly because of security, but also because Audition has quite a few hooks in the OS in order to work properly. When installers run, they leave a log of what they've done, and that's the basis on which an uninstaller works. Now when you've changed the OS, I'd guess that things are a little different. Nothing is going to look quite the same, and I'm guessing that with Catalina, the CS6 version won't run anyway, because as you said, it's 32-bit and Apple doesn't think enough of you to provide the emulator that Microsoft does with its 64-bit OS...

Now this is a guess I must admit, but if you simply remove the install folder for Audition CS6, and the preferences folder that goes with it, then that will be sufficient. Anything else would require that Adobe decodes the new OS and has effectively to reverse-engineer the install log to figure out whether any of that old stuff is still there. And, the chances are that it won't be anyway - this is effectively a new OS you've got. However you look at it, you won't find everything even if you try to do this manually - the security stuff is well hidden.

I will attempt to find out whether there's any more info about this from the devs, but a revised uninstaller is very unlikely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Steve. That was very helpful.

I'll await your further comment about what the Developers say. It's really nice of you to contact them.

Take care.

Rajnesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I attempt to run the Cleaner Tool, it spins the beachball apparently forever. I've left it to run overnight, with no apparent progress.

I've tried this several times. Most recently, I've tried it after hand-deleting every Adobe-related directory in my Finder.

Catalina 10.15.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve's correct that manually deleting the application folder will do an adequate job, but you'll obviously still have preference and cache files left behind in several locations.  It's probably simplest to use the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool which can remove all traces of CS6-era applications.  You can download it and find instructions to using it at https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Durin.

That solved the problem.

Regards,

Rajnesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines