Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warning about Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted the following on the Adobe Audition blog this afternoon

http://blogs.adobe.com/audition/2015/10/audition-cc-and-osx-10-11-el-capitan.html‌

Attention Mac users:

We recommend users refrain from upgrading to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) at this time.  Due to changes in application signing, users report crashing with many plugins and native effects.  Additionally, there are many audio devices that will not function without updated drivers, and support has been dropped for many legacy devices by their manufacturers.  Users may also not see the splash screen on launch.

As with most OS upgrades, you may wish to abstain from updating until your applications are confirmed to work correctly, or after any ongoing projects are complete.

MacRumors forums have been maintaining a list of additional software that may not function under El Capitan without developer updates at http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-el-capitan-working-not-working-apps.1890772/

Additional links:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/4431/os-x-10.11-el-capitan-compati...
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2015/9/30/apogee-mac-os-x-el-capitan-compatibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you actually know what you are talking about or is this just useless conjecture? Please be specific about what Apple broke and maybe you can tell us when Adobe had knowledge of OS changes. I would assume that they had the new OS for a while. Are you using a Mac? What has Apple done "yet again"? Seems Adobe has different teams working on specific software. Some of their software (according to Adobe) is compatible with El Capitan and some is not...why is that? Apple issuing an update is nothing new when it comes to OS's, that includes MS. People here just want some time table for Adobe's updates. Their system of informing their user base (on thier software) is lacking. If they are waiting on Apple to release OS 10.11.1 then they (ADOBE) should say so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Dog wrote:

Do you actually know what you are talking about or is this just useless conjecture? Please be specific about what Apple broke and maybe you can tell us when Adobe had knowledge of OS changes. I would assume that they had the new OS for a while.

Well firstly, let me quote you Durin, from another thread:

"Apple did make developer previews of El Capitan available in June of 2015, and bug reports were submitted informing them that the changes in library signing behavior was breaking support for legacy applications, plugins, and devices.  While Microsoft puts significant effort in assuring backwards compatibility or enable overrides, Apple tends toward the other end of the spectrum when they make fundamental changes to their operating system.  I, too, have read speculation that Apple may make a change in an update to resolve some of the reported issues, but have no confirmation of that at this time.

Our team is happy to continue answering technical and usage questions for Audition CS6 users on these forums, but I'm not sure how much technical support for Apple OS updates and major architectural changes we can be expected to offer.  I don't know that these were changes users were asking Apple for, and I don't remember them bringing them up much during the reveal.  I love Apple products, but do appreciate Microsoft's efforts not to break their users workflows unless absolutely necessary."

Yes, I have a clear idea of what they broke, but I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to tell you, as I was told under an NDA. If Durin wishes to vouchsafe this information, that's up to him.

Some of their software (according to Adobe) is compatible with El Capitan and some is not...why is that? Apple issuing an update is nothing new when it comes to OS's, that includes MS. People here just want some time table for Adobe's updates. Their system of informing their user base (on thier software) is lacking. If they are waiting on Apple to release OS 10.11.1 then they (ADOBE) should say so.

I think it's fair to say that it wasn't core components that were broken, and it would only be software that used the components that were actually broken that was affected - so not all software, no. Personally, I don't think it's Adobe's responsibility to tell you when Apple are going to repair what they broke - that's an Apple issue, but Durin may comment more on it; I don't know. As of earlier today, apparently 10.11.1 was on its third beta release, and at least one user here has reported that it's fixed most, if not all, of the problems. That is, of course, completely unconfirmed, especially by me as I wouldn't have a Mac if you got down on your knees and BEGGED me to. I don't even want one as a doorstop. As for what else they've broken - well a couple of releases ago they put out an update that completely stopped the wifi adaptors in some of their machines from working, forcing some users to have to purchase external third-party usb devices to get the functionality back.

So some of what I said previously you might regard as 'conjecture', yes. Personally I look at it simply as an extrapolation from what's actually happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could care less about what hardware you use and why. If you don't use a Mac how are you being helpful to anyone? It seems you just posted here to write some kind of screed. MS updates break things also...go figure. I've worked on both platforms. You're kind of coming off like a zealot. Why comment on a platform you have no interest in? Your editorializing is not helping anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this time, we do not intend to issue a patch for Audition CC 2015 before our upcoming release. If Apple does NOT release the fix in their upcoming 10.11.1 patch, then we may need to re-assess that decision, but their update will be released much sooner than we would be able to test and release a patch update for 8.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_durin_, as a staff member, will you please speak to why Adobe wasn't better prepared, given Apple's unprecedented early betas of El Capitan? Does it have anything to do with the recent, highly-publicized Adobe Max Conference? Were the people who could appropriately respond to this simply too busy preparing for the conference?

Regardless, why hasn't Adobe notified their Mac customers directly regarding possible conflicts with El Capitan? This information certainly qualifies as an exceptional use of system notifications. Such a notice or message could delay some of your customers from upgrading to El Capitan, thereby preventing loss of hours, interruptions to workflows, impaired productivity, and if nothing else it's simply the right way to treat your loyal, paying customers.

In summary, it sounds like you knew this problem existed and decided to not fix it. To make matters much worse (in my opinion) you failed to notify your subscribers appropriately. Will you please speak to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Dog wrote:

I could care less about what hardware you use and why. If you don't use a Mac how are you being helpful to anyone? It seems you just posted here to write some kind of screed. MS updates break things also...go figure. I've worked on both platforms. You're kind of coming off like a zealot. Why comment on a platform you have no interest in? Your editorializing is not helping anyone.

I'm afraid that you are coming across as another of the Mac elitists - the sort that think that Apple can do no wrong, and that it's everybody else's responibility to chase around after them, regardless of cost or inconvenience. You also read what I've said very selectively, and make claims that you can't possibly substantiate. In fact, my intense dislike of Macs - and indeed Apple in general - is based entirely on having worked on several of them for a long time.

As for why I'm commenting - it's mainly to try to present a more realistic perspective on what's happened here than most of the Mac users are. And can you please tell me which MS update it is that has broken hardware, other than causing users to have to update drivers? I'm not aware of any mass breakages at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't play the old tired elitist card. What disparaging comment did I make about MS? I didn't say anything regarding the superiority of any platform. Look at my original question about a central location for update information on Adobe's part. Most professional Adobe customers use more than one application, how as a paying customer is it beneficial to me to check every apps system requirements in different locations? It's not, it's tedious. Quite frankly if one of the apps that I use is incompatible, then they might as well all be.  I am a customer of Adobe's that PAYS them for a service. So yes, they are responsible for informing me as a user when their product will compatible with whatever platform I work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, Adobe Premier Pro AND Mail are having issues….. so can’t blame everything on Apple. I am using THEIR Mail program and IT CANNOT GET ALONG WITH EL CRAPITAN!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Dog wrote:

Look at my original question about a central location for update information on Adobe's part. Most professional Adobe customers use more than one application, how as a paying customer is it beneficial to me to check every apps system requirements in different locations? It's not, it's tedious. Quite frankly if one of the apps that I use is incompatible, then they might as well all be.  I am a customer of Adobe's that PAYS them for a service. So yes, they are responsible for informing me as a user when their product will compatible with whatever platform I work on.

It is perhaps a matter of some regret that Adobe hasn't chosen to put all the information about this in one place - but for whatever reason, that's what Adobe corporate has chosen not to do. Personally I suspect that this is some sort of attempt not to hack Apple off, and give them some sort of opportunity to sort this out - which by the accounts I've heard, they are attempting to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteveG said:

"It is perhaps a matter of some regret that Adobe hasn't chosen to put all the information about this in one place - but for whatever reason, that's what Adobe corporate has chosen not to do. Personally I suspect that this is some sort of attempt not to hack Apple off, and give them some sort of opportunity to sort this out - which by the accounts I've heard, they are attempting to do."

Of course you do. That statement makes absolutely no sense when it comes to checking compatibility. Sorry, that's no excuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Dog wrote:

Of course you do. That statement makes absolutely no sense when it comes to checking compatibility. Sorry, that's no excuse.

You're doing the 'elitist' thing again. It's getting rather boring now, and isn't the slightest help. Please stop it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said nothing that was elitist on the other hand you sure have. You keep making statements based on conjecture as if you have some inside track. The conjecture that you provided makes no sense and offers nothing useful to my query about a central location for compatibility issues.

Do you think a central location for compatibility issues is a bad idea? If so state YOUR reasons for it. Otherwise, how are you helping. I think you are the one that needs to stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Dog wrote:

I said nothing that was elitist on the other hand you sure have.

Everything about your attitude is elitist, and you've just done it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have an opinion on my query or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Dog wrote:

Do you have an opinion on my query or not?

Even if I gave you an opinion, you'd reject it, as that's what you do; you've already said that you aren't interested in them. You'd say that it wasn't helpful. Trouble is, I looked at your posting profile, and helping people clearly isn't what you do, so anything you say about that is pretty much moot.

And anyway, it's irrelevant. Adobe clearly don't want to do what you want, otherwise they would have. My opinion won't help you, or anybody else directly. All it will do is give some people the idea that there is a perspective on this other than their own - perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Even if I gave you an opinion, you'd reject it, as that's what you do; you've already said that you aren't interested in them. You'd say that it wasn't helpful. Trouble is, I looked at your posting profile, and helping people clearly isn't what you do, so anything you say about that is pretty much moot.

And anyway, it's irrelevant. Adobe clearly don't want to do what you want, otherwise they would have. My opinion won't help you, or anybody else directly. All it will do is give some people the idea that there is a perspective on this other than their own - perhaps."

Please just stop. I asked for your opinion and again you have to make some sort of value judgement. You know nothing about me. I have posted here in the past when I have had issues and have expressed them in a professional manner. Isn't that part of what this forum is for?

I have also tried to help the few times I have posted on other Adobe forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

D Dog wrote:

I asked for your opinion and again you have to make some sort of value judgement. You know nothing about me. I have posted here in the past when I have had issues and have expressed them in a professional manner. Isn't that part of what this forum is for?

I have also tried to help the few times I have posted on other Adobe forums.

That's essentially what an opinion is, in case you hadn't noticed. And like I said, anything you say about help is moot, as there is no evidence of you helping anybody at all. And that's not an 'opinion' either - it's demonstrable to anybody looking at your posting history, which, let's face it, won't take them long. And none of it is even remotely helpful, and is pretty much all complaints about this issue.

You can get angry, say whatever you like, but it doesn't alter the facts. Which are that Adobe's response is what it is, and there's nothing you or I can do about that. So as far as I'm concerned this issue is closed until there's a further announcement from Adobe or Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a strange thing you choose to debate! There's a direct, clear question to his post and you seem to enjoy dancing erratically around it, like a jester waving colorful flags that distract but never address the topic. It's somewhat amusing until you slander his character.

I'm not sure why any paying customer of Adobe wouldn't prefer better, clearer, more direct, and easier-to-access communication from Adobe on compatibility issues. If a paying customer disagrees, I'm legitimately interested in hearing their reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warning to you and D Dog... continue with this off topic bashing and I will lock this thread so nobody can post... and I will report both of you to the Forum Administrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who is having problems with Typekit syncing...

- First, would you try signing out of the Creative Cloud app under: Gear > Preferences > General.

- Next, try quitting/restarting the Creative Cloud app and then signing back in with your Creative Cloud Adobe ID.

- Any fonts you had previous synced should now sync automatically. If not, please try syncing the fonts from Typekit.com again.

If those steps did not solve the problem:

- Could you try turning Typekit off under: Gear > Preferences Creative Cloud > Fonts. Wait a second, then turn it back on. See if the font or fonts show up and if not, try syncing again. Did this solve it?

- Could you tell me if you're on the Windows/Mac OS X and the version?

If that still isn't working, I would try this:

1. quit the Creative Cloud desktop application

2. from the Go menu in the Finder, choose Go to Folder

3. paste in this path and click Go:

~/Library/Preferences/

4. In the window that opens, you should see a list of files including com.adobe.accmac.plist

5. click on com.adobe.accmac.plist and rename it com.adobe.accmac.plist.old. You'll be asked to confirm that you want to change the extension to .old.

6. start the Creative Cloud desktop application again.

(Typekit solution provided by Typekit support)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Uninstalling your problematic App COMPLETELY and reinstalling it may help. I had the problem of the right click not working (Ai), I uninstalled Ai along with my preferences and made sure it was wiped with the cleaner tool Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems.

I will mention that I needed to uninstall it twice because the first time didn't work. This could have been from leaving my preference settings installed.

With all of the negative talk about Apple VS Windows and no solution, I figured hitting up twitter and contacting Typekit would do something. 

Hope this helps and good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Izotope have issued a warning about EC:

"At this time, we strongly recommend that customers using iZotope products postpone their upgrades to 10.11."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1000% in agreement here El Capitan would have to be the WORST Apple upgrade in memory...many of my Adobe products fail constantly under this "marvelous" O/S..no, this is like returning to 1996..or even Windows 3.11..no Im being way too awful to those systems at least they worked!..wished id never upgraded to this awful awful operating system... El Capitan is a train wreck..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! NEVER have seen an OS upgrade that has been some horrible!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines