• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is "edit in Audition" greyed out in Premiere Pro and After Effects?

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the CC 2014 launch, the option in in Premiere Pro and After Effects to "edit in Audition" is greyed out. Right-clicking a clip in Premiere Pro doesn't have an option for Audition. I cannot send my compositions, sequences or clips to Audition for audio editing. I contacted an Adobe Support personnel earlier this evening. They suggested to go into my Mac's System Preferences and enable a root user, log out of my account, log into the root user, shut down and boot up into safe mode. None of these scenarios worked. It is still greyed out, in both user accounts.

Is this a known issue? I even uninstalled and reinstalled Audition. Still nothing. All my Adobe apps are updated. My Mac is updated. Again, never had this issue before.

I'd appreciate any assistance!

Thank you!

Cheers,

Evan Lockhart

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

I may have an answer for you, but not sure if my resolution will work for Macs.

First, here's my system and initial info. I'm using a work computer, operating system is Windows 7. I just upgraded to Adobe CC 2014 about a week ago, and I also uninstalled the previous versions of all my Creative Cloud programs after installing the new versions (CC 2014 doesn't just update the previous version, it installs a new program and doesn't automatically uninstall the previous CC programs). Not sure if the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, in my registry this data field is empty too (it's the field with the name "standard"). But the next entry should be AdobeAudition10_sesx (in the name field as binary if you have the latest version of Audition), type=REG_BINARY, 00 in the data field (=zero zero)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, Thank you!!!  Had to search for how to get to the registry, but that trick totally fixed it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all - this sounds like a good solution except it feels PC only? Any ideas for mac?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above answers only apply to much earlier versions CS6 of Audition and Premiere which were released back in 2015. There has been a lot of progress with both pieces of software and their interoperability by Adobe since then. We are now about six versions further on and all updates work equally with both the Mac and PC versions CC2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's been over 4 years since you posted this solution, but THANK YOU!!! I've been pulling my hair out since we updated all our Adobe software to the 2020 versions. After the updates, the "Edit clip in Adobe Audition" function was grayed out on one of our PCs, but on others it still worked as expected. I tried many of the other proposed solutions in this forum, but none of them did the trick. After finding your post, I opened the Registry Editor, and found the data field for .sesx to be empty. I entered the appropriate string for the current version of Audition (which is now AdobeAudition13_sesx), reopened Premiere, and.... BINGO! I can now select "Edit clip in Adobe Audition" again, and it works as expected!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing on here works. You know, Adobe, these problems should never come up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This BS is happening in 2017 version still. GET IT TOGETHER ADOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. Just updated last night and now no Audition or Photoshop access via Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the 2017 version and I used the solution of MatSchi​ to get out of the problem.

Let's try.

"and if anyone is searching for another solution for the "edit clip in audition" problem. On my PC Audition always starts when I double click on a .sesx file. So this trick didn't help. After years of research (sometimes after an update it worked and after the next it stopped working again) now I found a solution for me: in the Windows registry the data field of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sesx was empty. I entered the Audition Version (for the latest one it is AdobeAudition10_sesx). I closed the Registry Editor, started Premiere and can't believe it: I now have a fully functional "Edit Clip in Premiere" Menu. It was that easy, but sadly enough I couldn't found this solution anywhere else. Maybe it helps. Or it's an unique problem :-)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that but how do you get to the Windows registry? *Edit*  nevermind I found how to get there, but I already have "AdobeAudition10_sesx" in there (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>.sesx>OpenWithProgIDs).

Also in the "OpenWithProgIDs" folder is a file called "(Default)" with a Type of "REG_SZ" and a Date value of "(value not set)".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mean the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>.sesx>OpenWithProgIDs but the root of it HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>.sesx. There you (I think) have only one line which says "Standard". I set the value to "AdobeAudition10_sesx".

I just realised, that for what ever reason, the value was empty again. And the "Edit Clip in Audition" was greyed out. But I didn't install the latest version of PP or any other update yet so I can't imagine why this happend again. Maybe this isn't a permanent solution.

But by editing this entry everything is back to normal and still working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, there. I am having the same issue except that I have Premiere Pro CS6 and Audition CS6. I tried to set the data file in the registry to AdobeAuditionCS6_sesx but it did not work. I tried other iterations of it and still nothing. Here is what it reads. Three columns: first column-header name is-name, entry is (default) second column: header name is-Type, entry is-Reg_SZ; Third Column: header name is Data- entry is AdobeAuditionxxx_sesx.

If you could tell me what I am supposed to put there for this to work I would greatly appreciate it.

RaithG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out and it fixed the issue. Edited the registry accordingly. There were some security issues keeping me from fixing it earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much - problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines