• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Snapping to markers doesn't work. So... fixing that is an idea.

Enthusiast ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have snapping turn on, and snapping to markers turned on. It just doesn't work. Screen grab of my multitrack session attached.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Multitrack editor

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
19 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is in 11.1 on Mac OS, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. In fact snapping to ANYTHING doesn't. At least as far as I can tell. Audition 11.1, OSX 10.13.6.

Even if I turn off all other forms of snapping and leave only "Snap to Markers" it doesn't snap to markers.

If I turn off all other forms of snapping and leave only "Snap to Zero Crossings" and then select a random region in a (zoomed out) mono file, I zoom in to selection and see that the selection is not at zero crossings.

Please fix this bug! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snapping just flat out doesn't do anything. It's impossible to position the playhead exactly on anything. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug report is a year old and there is no fix as of 12.3.1.10. I can unselect all other snapping options and still not snap to markers when I click near them. This is critical for being able to edit at precise points. And NONE of the snapping features I've tried work reliably.

I want to be able to zoom in to set a marker for an edit point, zoom out, zoom in on a second edit point, zoom out, and then select the precise region from one to the next so that I can copy / delete / trim / loop. But this is impossible at present.

Adobe Audition is a great product in so many ways, but Adobe keeps collecting our money without fixing or even responding to very basic bugs. Please, can someone at Adobe prioritize this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"set a marker for an edit point... second edit point... and then select the precise region from one to the next"

NAILED IT. The failure to address this incredibly common use case is Audition's biggest and most baffling flaw. I can't imagine why the Audition team (which I have a high opinion of) doesn't understand why marker functionality desperately needs fixing. Or not even fixing: It needs to exist!

The fact that you can't set two markers and then double-click the waveform between them to select the region ****** me off EVERY TIME and pretty much every minute I use Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, why can't we do this (this is in Sound Forge):

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is only because (I Imagine) Adobe has stopped giving a **** about customer requirements and is just after your hard-earned. If Adobe can't fix this ****-Up, then I've just subscribed to a pile of ****

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone actually work at Adobe anymore, outside of their subscription-harvesting department? This fundamental and crippling defect has lasted THREE YEARS?

I shitcanned Adobe's derelict rental software years ago, and Audition was the app I was most reluctant to lose. But life and work has gone on without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, Matt from Adobe team here.

I've been looking at Audition 14.4 and snapping, as it is designed, is working here for me. The original video posted by GS does not show the snapping button. I've attached a video showing how it working and how to turn snapping on and off. Please let me know if there is something I am missing so I can investigate and file a bug.

@Cindy Loyd The playhead does not snap to markers, it never has as far as I remember.

@Jim Coursey "I want to be able to zoom in to set a marker for an edit point, zoom out, zoom in on a second edit point, zoom out, and then select the precise region from one to the next so that I can copy / delete / trim / loop. But this is impossible at present."

This is possible, in the Multitrack, you will want to have snapping turned on, and use the Time selection tool. Please post a video clarifying what is failing for you.

@david Gurney That functionality would be a feature request, Audition has never done that. I think it is good functionality though.

I'm here to help, and posting a quick video of the issue showing the issue can save lots of back and forth and frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Once again the Audition team stands out as one team at Adobe that cares to engage with customers and respond. Thanks for that.

As I noted in the original post, snapping and snapping to markers were on; I noted that because the button is not visible in the screen grab. Maybe that one bug (snapping a timeline event to a marker) has been fixed since then.

It is critical in an audio editor that we be able to:

1. Easily select the material between two markers, as depicted in David's request. The lack of this is, by far, the biggest impediment to using Audition. As noted, this is commonly available in other applications; I have an $80 audio application that's popular with voiceover artists, which lets you drop two markers and double-click between them to select the region. I now use this application instead of Audition.

2. Drag the edges of a waveform selection to resize it, with an option to have the cursor snap to markers. I can't remember if Audition lets you resize selections this way.

3. Extend a selection between the playhead and a marker (or vice versa). If I remember correctly, using a Shift-(next marker) hotkey combo does not extend a selection properly in Audition.

I got fed up with Adobe's abandonment of Illustrator and failure to fix years-old defects in everything else... but if Audition were available as a stand-alone, NON-RENTAL application I'd buy it at a reasonable price. I like Audition and respect the Audition team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response Matt, and whether or not a feature request, +1 to David Gurney's suggestion.

However, if I read it correctly, the thing I'm trying to do (in 14.4.0.38) should be supported according to:
https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/selecting-audio.html

Here's a video. You can see that I have timeline selector selected, I have enabled both "snapping to markers" and "snapping to zero crossings". I make two markers in my audio file, and then attempt to select each point when zoomed out... it looks to me like I'm hitting them. However, when I zoom in and look at each point, neither is snapped to either the nearest zero-crossing OR marker.

Hope this helps and let me know if there's more I can add.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Innxs6O40V577_ngLgHvPGZ6u-yhqqpl/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim,

Unfortunately whatever you posted has restricted access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, thanks GS, thought I'd marked it for sharing... should be working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim Coursey
In the video you posted, it looks you have the global button for snapping turned off.
In the upper right corner of the Editor view, click on the magnet icon next to the ruler. When it is blue, snapping is active.

Also, Snap to Zero Crossing was added for legacy reasons from Audition 3.0 (the original code base). Current versions of Audition have a feature that automatically adds a tiny fade/cross-fade on edits in the Editor view. As long as you have it turned on (it is the top two check boxes under "Preferences>Data>Data..." you will not need to worry about zero crossings, and you can place edits at any location in the editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ GS
Responding to each:
1. If I fully understand what you are asking for, it is a feature request, as I previously stated. Audition has many ways to make selections, "Easy" is subjective though.
2. When snapping is on, you can drag the selection edges and they will snap. This works.
3. Snapping works on the mouse actions only. To extend a selection and have it snap to a marker, hold shift and click on the marker. Any existing selection will be extended to the snapped location of the mouse click (the marker in this case).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, thanks Matt. I saw your reference to it in your video but I could never find the toggle in the audio editor (non-multitrack). One piece of feedback is that the layout seems inconsistent -- a lot of icons appear along the top of windows. In this case, the magnets appear to the right of the waveform overview, and thus I never even noticed it. (Much more intuitive in multitrack, but I never use that editor.)

I had previously toggled this via the drop-down menu settings "Enable" but I guess this time around I accidentally left it off as I took the video, which made me think it still was broken, lol. Trying again, it seems to be working as expected, thankfully.

Thanks again for your help!

As for Snap to Zero Crossing, auto-fades are a great addition, but I hope Adobe doesn't consider Snap to Zero as an outdated feature. Fade/crossfade is inherently destructive and might not be desirable in every circumstance. Specifically, if I wanted to cut tightly to the very beginning of a sharp transient, I want to preserve the transient and not accidentally apply a fade. Usually while working in Audition I prefer to choose when to apply fades rather than to have the software choose for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"consider Snap to Zero as an outdated feature. Fade/crossfade is inherently destructive and might not be desirable in every circumstance."

That is why we left ported the feature from the old code base to the new. For advanced user it is highly useful, but with great power comes great responsibility, and it can make selections harder to make if you are a novice and don't understand that a zero crossing is.
Welcome to the world of building software, where everything is compromise and you literally cannot please everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, I know what you mean Matt. By including both the advanced "Snap to" and the more accessible Xfade option, you've found a pretty good compromise. I'm happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Matt. Good to know that the resizing of the selection works as desired.

Thanks for the info about Shift-clicking on the marker to extend the selection. I was referring to hotkeys, however. There's something funky about Audition's handling of the Shift-(next/prev marker) key combo, but I don't remember exactly what. I do remember that it did not consistently extend the selection per OS standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate