• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Learn Series Part 7: How to even out volume levels with Normalize and Speech Volume Leveler

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<< Part 6  ∥  Part 8 >> 

Learn series Part7.jpgThis is a part of the ongoing Learn series with Mike Russell which will help you get started with Adobe Audition. We've some interesting articles & videos coming up weekly where we will talk about the tools, workflow & some really cool effects. Let us know how you use Audition & what you want to learn about Adobe Audition. We're here to help.

line2.png

line2.png

In this video, you will learn how to get similar volume levels across different clips using tools like Normalizer and Speech Volume leveler.

0:16 - Voice overs recorded at different volume levels  

0:46 - How to normalize audio  

1:12 - What normalization does

1:22 - Normalization presets in the favorites menu 

1:32 - Normalization is not so good if there's a big peak 

1:52 - Checking volume levels in multitrack 

2:14 - Using the speech volume leveler effect 

2:40 - Working with the default speech volume leveler settings  

3:19 - Changing the target volume level 

3:33 - Adjusting the leveling amount

3:42 - Working on the target dynamic range 

4:13 - Speech volume leveler advanced settings  

4:17 - Compressor on the speech volume leveler  

4:50 - Using speech volume leveler on podcasts 

5:15 - Hissing background noise while using the speech volume leveler 

5:45 - Settings to reduce background noise

6:45 - Noise gate on speech volume leveler for podcasts 

7:53 - All audio is now at the same level using one effect

Normalization

Normalization is a process of adding gain to audio for bringing the amplitude to a target level. Unlike Compression, in Normalization a constant gain is applied throughout the entire audio and it doesn't affect the dynamics of the audio.

Normalizer analyzes your audio file and it looks for the loudest peak and based on the amplitude of that peak it amplifies the audio globally.

Tip icon.png

Pro tip

Try not to normalize to 0dB. Have some headroom to avoid clipping which might happen while applying other processing effects on the audio and exporting it in a compressed format. -3 dB is generally a sweet spot where you have decently loud audio with enough headroom to avoid clipping.

Compression
Compression is a process of reducing the dynamic range of audio by making the louder part of the audio signal sound quieter and making quieter parts of the signal sound louder.

Normalization might not be the best tool to level your audio in every case. Learn when to Normalize and when to Compress.

Learn more about Normalization

Learn about the Normalize effect in Audition

Learn more about the Speech Volume Leveler effect

Learn more about Compression

Learn about the amplitude and compression effects in Audition

Hope this helps in understanding how Normalization works and how to use Speech Volume Leveler.

Refer to this page to explore the other videos of this series. Let us know if you have any questions.

<< Part 6  ∥  Part 8 >> 

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, thank you for your videos. They are very helpful to me.

There is one thing I cannot find out how to do it. I asked the support chat, send numerous emails, all with no result. Can you help me with this question?

I am working in multitrack view in Track 1. In Track 1 there is Clip A and Clip B with a 5 second silence between them.
In Track 2 I have Clip C which is 20 seconds long and which I want to move now to Track 1 between A and B.
If I just move C into the space between A and B it overlaps with A and B as its longer as the 5 second silence.
Is there a way to easily drag and drop Clip C between A and B and Audition automatically makes the Space between A and B long enough for C to fit in?

I found a way by inserting silence between the clips with the silence as long as the new clip, but I am sure there is a more convenient way.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines