Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Bridge > PNG files > Open in Camera Raw

New Here ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use "Open in Camera Raw" option in Adobe Bridge to open .JPG files in Camera Raw. (screenshot - https://beta.ctrlv.cz/MrZ0 )

But when I want to open .PNG file, this option is not active.

Please how to open .PNG file in Camera Raw?

Thanks,

Jiri

[bup0057]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe you can. However, the Camera RAW filter inside Photoshop has the same tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes using camera raw starting from photoshop to edit  .png  is correct and works fine thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DaBee,

Here's a hint (if you do not already know this), if you convert your image into a Smart Object, you can go back and make adjustments. If you do not do this, you're permanently locking in the changes as you work.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are correct Smart objects are a great non destructive editing tool a must in my workflow, they have been around quite some time.  my first version of photoshop was CS 

Opening all file types  to view in Bridge would be helpfull when trying to create visual continuity over a large number of images for delivery to a client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too you used to be able to open .png now its another thing that dosent work blocked  functionalty taken away while junk increases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Debbie, the only files you could open in ACR are raw, DNG, tif, and jpg. PNG was never able to be opened in ACR. 

HOWEVER, as Lumigraphics stated, once an image is opened in PS, use the ACR filter, you're good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge has been udated multiple times and seems to change with the updates. I have been using it since 2014, I liked it better in the days before, they began to make it behave /look like light room. I dont use lightroom.  Camera raw /ACR  is the same app used in photoshop bridge and lightroom as far as i understand?   .PNG editing can be performed as per Lumigraphics post.

open in photoshop apply acr edits save as...any format  open as... in  Bridge.

I would like to open .Png in the version of ACR that ships with Bridge too as its quicker and gives a beter over view and allows tweeking here and there while sorting multiple files /types/ versions with large groups of images, ( a full shoot)  as  well as being able to open it in the version of ACR that ships with Photoshop....for one layer at a time.  I thought i could include .png in theis process in the past, but happy to be corrected, I dont know if lightroom lets you work on .pngs beore opening in PS? I wish they would allow it in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an issue of Bridge, it's an issue of ACR. ACR can't work with the PNG format. However, once you open the image, it's not a PNG, raw, TIFF, PSD, or JPG. It's pixels and, at that point, ACR can easily work with pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least on the Mac (not sure about Windows), ACR can also edit HEIC files in addition to the other supported formats. To my recollection, PNG has never been a supported format in ACR.

Although dated, the fundamentals don't change and this old Russell Brown video is still good today:

CS3: Adjusting JPEG and TIFF Images with Adobe Camera Raw

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/CS3_ACR_JPEG_SM.mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it can but it cant do .png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would like to open PNG files in Camera Raw from Bridge. This will allow the ENHANCE feature to be used.

This option is not available from Photoshop. Ummmmm

Also, why not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will agree with you the benefits of opening a file first in ACR, doing what you need to do, and then opening in PS (if necessary) is a great workflow process. 

But, not only can you not open a png into ACR, but you also cannot open a PSD into ACR. The "whys" of this are not in my paygrade. However, you can open ANY kind of image with ACR if you first convert them into a jpg or (better yet) a tif image format.

Yes, it's not direct, but there are times when using computers when you need to get the job done and bypass the way you want it to be done (or think that it should be done).

Go into Bridge -> Tools -> Image Processor and convert one or a slew of images into TIF format, and have a great time in ACR.

Plan "B" is to open the png in PS, convert it to a Smart Object, then open the ACR Filter. 

On the other hand, you can let these images sit and wait for Adobe to make it possible to adjust png and PSD images in ACR.

Your call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

I find it difficult to comprehend that a slick company like Adobe, with all its incredible advances in many fields, cannot find a convenient solution to this entire scenario. Surely!
What a hotchpotch.

Or, at least offer some explanation.

Just my 5 cents worth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JoziG,

If I knew, I would tell you why. Please be aware that most of the folks here and I do NOT work for Adobe. We do this because we enjoy helping folks. I'm sure if you called Adobe, you'd talk with folks like us who are not engineers and also could not explain the reasons. 

I assure you that if they cannot make it possible to run a Photoshop Document (PSD) in ACR, there must be some major reasons. Anyhow, I gave you two good ways to work with pngs in ACR direction and indirectly. Enjoy, and your welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that only Super Resolution is available when enhancing non-RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@joziG - Create a new post selecting the "idea" category as a feature request. Users can then vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My workflow: I always convert my image files to DNG format for editing in ACR. This allows me to also edit PNG files in ACR.
The original file format (whether JPG, PGN or another format) is retained by embedding it in DNG and the processing steps carried out in ACR are also saved in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines