Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automate Metadata Template Application?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have thousands of images that I need to apply the same metadata template to in Bridge. They are in a ton of folders, so I can't just open one folder and apply the template in one huge batch. Is there some other way to automate the process of applying a metadata template to all images in a folder structure? Or, something like an Automator script or a Photoshop action that I could create a droplet for to drag-and-drop and execute the template application? It would be great if I could add more than one step to the process as well.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Batch , How to , Metadata , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

@cchimko  â€“ You need to use the view option to show items from subfolders, possibly hide folders and use filters or manual selections of the required images in order to "one (or more) huge batch/s".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cchimko  â€“ You need to use the view option to show items from subfolders, possibly hide folders and use filters or manual selections of the required images in order to "one (or more) huge batch/s".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stephen, I wasn't aware of the 'show items from subfolders' option - that's perfect. I also found another solution using a Photoshop action/droplet where I can open the image in PS, go to File > File Info and use the 'Template Folder' dropdown at the bottom to choose a metadata Template. Save and run droplet and it works just the same. But I think your solution will be faster, at least if I turn off thumbnail generation.

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good solution I always thought can't be recorded to an action, but as I checked it now I see I wrongly remembered it in past. Only exporting a template is not recordable, import is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could script it but I wouldn't bother, I would just do what Stephen suggests to show items from subfolders and then select everything and apply.

How many files are we talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes please see my reply to Stephen. I did figure out another way but I think his way is still better. I'm talking probably 50K files. But I should be OK as long as I turn off thumbnail generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah 50k isn't that many, especially if you do it in say 10k chunks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

good morning, I am pretty new to this Community and found that the Adobe Chat Support does not work properly (waited 15 minutes online not to have a isngle answer).

I have 3 questions:

1) how do I post a question to the forum w/o using the Reply (as I am doing now, sorry)

2) I found that the Metadata panel is very different in LRC, PS2024 Camera Raw and Bridge; is there. areason for this or is it there a way to harmonize these ?

3) Bridge does not open my Desktop (MAC) to search within folders the raw files

thank you for your kind consideration and help

eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines