• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Renaming: "Date Created" vs "Date File Created"

New Here ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a professional photographer and long-time Adobe Bridge / Lightroom / Photoshop user, I have ALWAYS been confused by why there is frequently a one+ second difference between the same image file's "Date Created" and "Date File Created."

-- I am *NOT* talking about "Date File Modified" --

I have searched for the answer to my question online and have not found a satisfactory explanation.

I want to Batch Rename my image files according to the exact HHMMSS I pressed the shutter button and thus the file was created, which should take care of the dreaded _ (1), _ (2), _ (3), etc file extensions 95% of the time.

Is there an option to Batch Rename according to the mysteriously more accurate "Date FILE Created" instead of the mysteriously inaccurate "Date Created?"

Thanks,

Scott

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how you are getting only 1 second between those two "Date Created" and "Date File Created". They are two different things entirely. "Date Created" is when the camera saved the raw image to the card. "Date File Created" is when the file on your computer was created when you downloaded the images off of your card.

So if you want to sort and name based on the time when you shot the image, just sort your images by "Date Created", then batch rename them. If you were to rename them based on the "Date File Created", you would be renaming based on the times you downloaded the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may see differences if you shoot tethered. Also, file system metadata and EXIF/XMP data are written differently.

You might not be able to get exact second information that is totally accurate and matching between different fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ScottFin – I must confess that I am somewhat confused by the specifics of your post, I understand the general request.

I have checked raw files from two DSLR's and jpeg files from an iPhone and most of the time I have matching dates/times.

I have raw metadata entries such as:

<exif:DateTimeOriginal>2013-10-13T14:57:13</exif:DateTimeOriginal>

<xmp:CreateDate>2013-10-13T14:57:13</xmp:CreateDate>

<xmp:MetadataDate>2018-08-01T11:34:09+10:00</xmp:MetadataDate>

<photoshop:DateCreated>2013-10-13T14:57:13</photoshop:DateCreated>

I can easily find "Date Created" in Bridge, but not "Date File Created". Can you provide clear instructions and or screenshots to illustrate?

Can you post screenshots, such as:

date-renane.png

A lot is possible with regular expression based string substitutions, such as:

Prepression: Bridge vs. Lightroom Batch Rename Comparison

However explicit metadata fields are required to formulate the required Batch Rename command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines