• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Options for Sharing Digitized Slides with Family

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have scanned in a couple hundred slides from our family.  I scanned them at 3200 dpi and saved as a tiff file.  The actual size of the images when I open them are about 1" x 2".  I do need to clean them up and adjust color, etc... but I also want to share them with others.  I'd like to make a larger image and smaller file size for others to have.  My thought is to size the image and save as a jpeg in photoshop at 300 dpi.  Is there a better option to do this or better format (i.e., PDF)?

Life is too short not to enjoy every day being alive.
W. G. Hagler
TOPICS
How to , Image processor

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Round Top Bill; something is very confusing here. If you scanned a standard slide (24 x 36), at 3200 PPI (DPI Dots per inch is for printing, Pixels per inch is for scanning). Rephrasing the 24 x 36 mm to Imperial measurement, that's about 1' x 1.5", close enough for this discussion purposes. 

What application are you opening them up into? If it's Photoshop, please open up one of the images and then, from the Image (menu), select Image Size. This is what that would look like on my system:

2023-10-24_16-19-59.png

 If you change the "Inches" to Pixels, from the dropdown menu the red arrow is pointing to, you should see 3200 pixels. 

But now, I would like to first uncheck the "Resample" option, then change the 3200 that the green arrow is pointing to and change that to (say) 180. Why 180? 180 DPI is the average maximum quality the average home inkjet printer can print. If you have a good laser printer, change that to 300 DPI. 

When you do that, note that the size of the image is quite a bit larger.

2023-10-24_16-26-45.png

If you want your friends and family to print, 180 is a good setting to use for PPI. However, that 28.439 inches wide is too big for any printer that's not a commercial printer. If you say you want them to print at 10" wide, you need to re-check the Resample button and then set the 28.439" to 10". This will now set that image to 10" wide and will print at 180 ppi.

BTW, now that your scanning is all over with, it's probably too late to mention this but, it's always best to do all of the types of adjustments that you might do in Photoshop at the time you're doing the scanning using the scanning software. Any subsequent adjustments that you perform in Photoshop will look MUCH better.

I hope all this makes sense and if not, I hope it gives you a bunch of terms to work with so that if you google anything I mentioned, what you'll see will be inforced with what I said.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Much appreciated!  This is a very good solution for me.  And yes, next time I will play around with the scanning software before doing the whole batch.  It was a brand new scanner bought while on vacation for the task at hand.  Thank you.

Life is too short not to enjoy every day being alive.
W. G. Hagler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines