• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge 12.0.0 (.234) - Crash/program freeze when batch renaming

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing Bridge 12 hanging/freezing and getting "Program not responding" when using the "Batch Rename" tool.

This did not happen under identical circumstances (folder size/number of images/settings) and Bridge internal settings with previous official up-to-date version.

I just updated from 11 via Creative Cloud Desktop. I purged cache. I reset internal settings in Bridge.

I will have to force close Bridge and restart.

Upon going back to the same folder, all the files are correctly renamed.

When does it occur :

- Remaming 1536 images in same folder

-  Size 2-4MB jpg's

- Folder has been allowed time to generate previews and sort files

- I checked "Preview" before confirming batch rename, all 1536 files correctly named

- Renaming starts, progress bar starts, then stops moving but no error message

- After some time, I get program not responding

- Force close program

- Restart

- All files correctly renamed.

- Tried a test run with 450 files, bug does not reproduce.

BUT this makes me hesitant to use Bridge for now as I am worried it will or can mess up renaming/corrupt images.

TOPICS
Batch , Bug , Crash or freeze , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first thought it was a bug or mistake I made in the "sequence number" setting, I only had three digits for 1536 files. But Bridge renamed them correctly and just started from 001 again after 999.

This is an example of the actual filename I renamed to "IMG_20190331_1507_517.jpg" (Text_YYYY_HHMMSS_Sequence Number).

But I have tried with four digits, same result. Bridge hangs/freezes but images are correctly renamed upon restart.

I have tried without sequence number at all, freezes but correctly renamed.

System is WIN10 Pro, up to date per writing this, Xeon class processor, 32GB RAM, Quadro class graphics card, running from 1TB SSD, files stored on internal 7200rpm 10TB HDD.

This did not occur two days ago before updating from 11 to 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batch renaming 499 files does not reproduce the bug

Batch renaming 726 files does not reproduce the bug

Batch renaming 1024 files (added/selected remaining files 311 and also the recently renamed 726 previous, total 311 files processed. Does not reproduce the bug. After renaming, only the 311 processed files gets highlighted.

Batch renaming 1083 (identical from when the bug occurred) fresh files does not reproduce the bug.

Somwhere between batch renaming 1083 and 1536 files the bug occurs.

Copy & paste same 1536 files does not cause any bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced the same thing in editing large batches of image and video media file metadata—keywords. I get a prompt to ignore each of the requested keyword edits of problem files and move on. Unfortunately this pops up with every file remaining in the selected batch. That might equate to the need to respond to 500 or more prompts as there does not seem to be a "same for all" option. It appears related to my system resource limitation. Cleaning out my system cache from the Bridge preferences seems to fix the problem until I run another metadata edit on a large batch. Your problem might be related to this. Unfortunately I usually have to kill Bridge to do this as it freezes up each time. When I do that I lose all my selections. When problems are related to batch operation size, it seems to indicate a problem with Bridge reaching the limits of cache resources on a system. Some times it helps to shut down all other applications including browsers to maximise available resources. It is a sign you need a clean out of your system, or get a more powerful system to run your applications on, or reduce your batch sizes... while Bridge may fall short on impending resource limitation notices before freezing, the real problem is mostlikely outside of Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is weird.

I just made a copy of the entire folder using Bridge into another folder. Then did a batch rename of all files. The bug did not reproduce.

Perhaps there is a folder permission bug or someting? The previous folder was created with 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUT renaming same folder again with added text produces the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any news with this? 
I am experiencing this problem ever since I started using bridge (like a year ago) going through many versions. 
In my experience this narrows down to the number of files you rename. 

Never happens when renaming small batches like 200 files. 
+500 files is the number where I start seeing the problem more often. Although trying to reproduce is not an exact science, happens most of the times but not necessarily 100% of the times

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. I'm weary of letting Bridge do too many things at the same time ever since. (I have set Cache to 400GB, I have 32GB ECC ram, Xenon processor etc...so resource shouldn't be the issue....).

I just find Bridge quite buggy in general.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines