• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge 2020 on macOS Catalina fails reading from NAS

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Bridge 10.0.1.126 on a MacBook Pro with Catalina 10.15.2.  I recently copied all of my image files to a NAS device (WD My Cloud Home 4TB), anticipating eventually deleting them from the Macintosh HD altogether.  One of my larger folders (Images/Working/Prints) has 127 image files (.CR2, .NEF, .PSD with a number of .XML sidecar files).  When I try to access this folder from Bridge, I get varying results.  Usually, it is just painfully slow (this could be the My Cloud Home technology) or displays incomplete results (fifteen or so of the 127 images).  One time Bridge just crashed, and another time, after displaying most of the images, it said that the device is no longer available, even though I was able to access any of the 127 images through Finder.  

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Adobe apps are not working well with Catalina. My suggestion is to revert back to Mojave until Adobe gets their act together

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Try this.

Have Bridge open.

Go to finder and select your NAS system/files and connect.

Bridge should then reconize the folder and generate your thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe apps are not working well with Catalina. My suggestion is to revert back to Mojave until Adobe gets their act together

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your suggestion is probably a good one, but I'm not prepared to back level to Mojave at this point.  I'm employing various work arounds that seem to help (such as using a USB thumb drive as an intermediate).  Two observations lead me to concurr that the problem is probably between Adobe and OSx.  One is that I DO NOT experience similar problems with other applications (including Photoshop and Lightroom Classic) on Catalina.  The other is that I DO NOT experience similar problems on Bridge running under Windows 7.

I also want to highlight the suggestions given in https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html, expecially the statement "Adobe Technical Support only supports using Photoshop and Adobe Bridge on a local hard disk."  As far as I am concerned, it Adobe Technical Support does not support using Bridge with a NAS configuration, then Adobe does not support using Bridge with a NAS configuration.  In my 30 years working in a software developement, one of the principles that was drilled into me was that if we said we supported a configuration, we had to test in that configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience with Bridge 2020.

Apart from what Lumigraphics suggested, you can try and add Bridge 2020 to the Accessibility list for macOS by going to the System Preference, then Security and Privacy, and selecting the Privacy tab. Also, grant permissions to Bridge 2020 under Files and Folders, then restart the computer to check if that helps. You can also check the permissions on the NAS drive and ensure the permissions are set to Read and Write.

If the above mentioned changes do not help, you can revert the macOS to Mojave and check if the issue persists.

You can also check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe:

Perhaps I misunderstand the suggestion on reverting to Mojave,  so I don't want to cause a major flap, but I do want to make you aware of an issue. I was without a computer for two months because my Macbook Pro died in early October. I waited for the new 16" model and it finally came out, and its inception software was Catalina.

Those of us who have new Macbook Pros or the new Mac Pro know the ONLY system that runs on it is Catalina and there is no option to revert, and soon most Macs will have Catalina. Right now I can't seem to open a simple of NEF files from my Nikon camera using Adobe software.   There are a lot of photographers out here using Macs who are going to be quite upset soon and more will be  looking for  alternatives to Bridge, Photoshop and Lightroom than are currently seeking it.

You may have good suggestions about what I can do to fix the issue I mention above with respect to using Adobe software that is available through the Photography Plan to open  NEF files, and inasmuch as I just hit this barrier after getting my new machine up and running there may be fixes that I don't know of.  If so, please let me know. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. regarding my note above: I should have mentioned that I CAN see individual files in the latest version of Photoshop. I cannot seem to use Adobe Bridge 2020 and get it to the point where I can see thumbnails. I used to be able to see a folder full of thumbnails using Bridge-- perhaps I have incorrect settings for preference or in Bridge itself?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you check permisions acces for Bridge in your MAC OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this.

Have Bridge open.

Go to finder and select your NAS system/files and connect.

Bridge should then reconize the folder and generate your thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I now have Bridge generating all of the thumbnails. I appreciate the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link to the Networks , removable media article.  It explains a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The way I got it to work is to open Networked or NAS CR2 files from within Bridge rather than from the Finder or from within Photoshop. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines