• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge 2022 thumbnail generation super slow on Mac mini M1

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow Bridge generates the thumbnails extremely slow on my Mac Mini M1. Labeling of metadata is also extreme slow. What's going on? I've bought this Mac to support large batches of photo processing but I'd rather go back to my old Macbook Air. Someone knows what to do about this?

Thank you!

Karlijn

TOPICS
Metadata , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Bridge, not your MacBook .  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chasinf5s,

Thanks. Is there anything I can do about it? Changing the settings?

Karlijn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, the setting change they claim is "faster" is like changing from a 1 legged turtle to a 2 legged turtle.  Bridge is completely inadequate even on fast machines because of how long it takes to render thumbnails / cache.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post your preferences/cache settings?

What kind of images are you browsing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on a MacBook Pro M1 Max. Painfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue! WTF - My intel imac which was 7 years old was quicker!

Anyone know of any GOOD alternatives to bridge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Фото Механик

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks ill give the trial and try and see if it will work out for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive found that a free bit of software called XnViewMP does what I need it to do much much much much much quicker than Bridge - GUI not as slick as Bridge and some workflow pointers I like are in bridge but not in XnViewMP... but for now this will work out greeat. Fingers crossed Adobe will fix how S**T bridge has become!!!!

Photo Mechanic was too OTT for what I need it for. 

Lightroom again not what I need

I tried out Narrative Select Quite liked the app but again ott and didnt give me the quick single page export to PDF of multi images I needed.

What I need to do is select 10-100 images (thumbnails load super quick on XnViewMP) then export them to a lower res PDF file - single image per page as a multi page PDF document. Bridge is super super slow at loading in the thumbnails which means you can not add them to a contact sheet and then export.... adobe sort your house out!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with my MacBook Air M1, Adobe Bridge 12.0.1.246 (2022). 

It was such a nice app on my 2012 MacPro 12Cores (5,1). I was thinking may it was a memory problem or that it need it an update for M1. Still, it is so slow. Saddly I had to change my 5,1 as you can't update adobe cloud 2022 for it.

Any other creative cloud app runs as magic on my M1 but Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME HERE!  Very frustrating. Takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to load thumbnails.  Then after hours of building all thumbnails, Bridge decides to crash. Which then completley clears the cache, and now has to start all over again, rebuilding ALL the thumbnails again.  

I'm running it on a very fast iMac, running Big Sur. Mind boggling.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be a problem with ECI-RGB picture on M1. sRGB works fine for me. Se another thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/bridge-11-1-1-on-apple-m1-silicon-processor-with-m... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that Camera Raw Update 14.3 solved my problems with ECI RGB v2. Bridge runs fine now under rosetta 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temporary Fix.

I tried with preferences:

Camera RAW - Deselect GPU Acceleration

Adobe Bridge - Deselect GPU Acceleration

It works for a while (for me it was like 2 hours and with around 600 images I had to edit). After that it happened again.

I remember Illustrator and Photoshop having the same issue a couple of updates before. Temp solution, disable GPU acceleration, sadly in PS it would disable a lot of filters.

Please let me know if it worked for any of you guys or if it was just luck.

NOTE: Tested on: MacBook Air M1 (8GB) - Working from a 12TB USB 3.0 Seagate Backup Plus Hub. Canon 5Dsr 50MB RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly Adobe Bridge is still made for intel processors, I guess it must be running under roseta 2.

Here's an activity monitor screenshot from my MacBook Air M1 running the latest Bridge version (Jan 2022)

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.40.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.42.31 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest for all affected users to vote on the Bridge Uservoice on the thread requesting native M1 support: https://adobebridge.uservoice.com/forums/905323-feature-request/suggestions/44368887-add-arm-version...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What fixed it for me was going to Bridge Preferences > Advanced > check "Use Software Rendering"

Disables hardeware acceleration which doesnt seem to work right on an M1. 

Mine went from a crawl to being super speedy.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but for what we pay to Adobe we deserve software that works out of the box with the latest technologies.

We do not pay for a workaround and old software, otherwise what is the monthly subscription for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The M1 chip has been around for a year and a half now.  There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have made a native version as of yet. It's not that great of a program that they couldn't have gotten it out by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks OmTillai, your fix worked for me and I'm so happy. It was driving me to despair. 

Cheers, Geoff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is not at all a solution to my problem with files with ECI v2 profile. Each thumbnail takes about 3 seconds to be displayed. Still a disaster (on my MacBook Pro Max). Other RAWs or JPGs in sRGB work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@struffsky I would post a bug report on your very special case on the Bridge Uservoice forum. https://adobebridge.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had contact to a technician. The problem is reproducable and in the engineering process.

It is not my special case, this is a european professional colorworkflow as it is swop coated  in the US.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually when "GPU Acceleration" is offered it becomes a real hurdle to get people to turn it off. It's the hill they choose to die on. 

But, yep, setting "Use Software Rendering" in bridge totally acclelerated my Cache Generation in Bridge on a new Intel PC running Windows. The problem is Bridge. Or Adobe. Not your hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines