• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

bridge 2023 is not a file browser anymore

Advocate ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used bridge the same way since it was released: I associate all my image and design files with it - so I can click any image in a folder and bridge will open that folder and let me browse.

If bridge 2023 is already running it will not open an associated file in its folder. To get the same behaviour you have to close bridge 🤦

I don't know why I'm posting this here other than out of frustration because I know that 

a) nobody will take the slightest bit of notice

b) people will tell me I'm using it wrong

If anyone knows a workaround, please tell me to save me from having to use one of the bloody awful thumbnail browsers out there. 

TOPICS
Feature request , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @getho Well, sorry for making your frustration go away, but at this time of the year, we do not need extra frustration! (LOL)

I'm trying to understand your first paragraph and how you use Bridge. Are you saying that you can look in the Finder/Explorer, see an image, double-click it, and it opens in Bridge to that file?

Please verify my understanding here before I continue. Because IF that's what you've been doing, I'd be very curious as to what your workflow is focused for. It certainly is a valid workflow; that's not an issue, but it limits you in other activities. But those activities might not be of interest to you.

Meanwhile, when you respond, please let us know what your OS is. Oh, I did a quick experiment, and if I'm understanding your workflow, I had no problem getting it to open Bridge (if not open) or to make Bridge active if it was already open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @getho A bit of an update: I was talking to a friend of mine who works on PCs (I'm on a Mac), and he confirmed your issue. So apparently, that is a bug. 

On my Mac, if I set Bridge to open a file type in my Mac OS, it works exactly as you describe both with Bridge not open or already opened. But on the PC, that is broken. I have to admit I've never done that before or have even thought about it. FWIW, I do this a slightly different way: I typically drag an image file from the Finder (the Mac's Explorer) onto the Bridge icon in the Dock (the Mac's Start section), and that either opens Bridge and it goes to that folder, or if Bridge is already opened, it puts the focus of Bridge on that folder. What I believe I like about my approach is that I can still double-click (for example) a TIF file that will then open in Photoshop as opposed to Bridge to and then double-click it again to open it in Photoshop. However, I'm sure there are dynamics that you prefer in your approach.

The good news is that Adobe now knows about this, and it will get onto the list of things to fix. So either way, you're covered!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The good news is that Adobe now knows about this, and it will get onto the list of things to fix. So either way, you're covered!

By @gary_sc

excellent! thanks 🙂

There is one more bit of usibility I hope they address - the option to open the new destination in an existing tab. Because otherwise, you'll end up with bridge rejecting the new location because the tab quotient is full.
(and also - is it jsut me or is there really no other way of closing a tab than right clicking (or hamburger clicking) and chosing "close panel")?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary

thanks for responding, and sorry for the delay. I'm a windows user

Yes, that's correct - double click opens in bridge.

Primarily I'm a photographer, but I also use illustrator and indesign.
This workflow means I can jump from any folder open in file explorer to Bridge where I can see all my images already cached and ready to be viewed.  I don't navigate in Bridge. I use Everything (https://www.voidtools.com/) to find image files and folders. Much quicker than navigating to them - especially when you have 30 odd terabytes of data. 

Once I'm in bridge All of its tools are available to me, which I use a lot - collectsions, smart collections, batching, sorting, labelling... I dont want to give these up.  But the only alternative at the moment is for me to swtich to one of the (URGH!) thumbnail browsers like IRFANVIEW or XnView

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Adobe Bridge Beta (13.0.2.630). This update includes the fix for this issue. Also, this Beta release includes several bug fixes done in the 13.0.1 public release. For details, see Fixed issues.

Steps to install/update

InstallGo to the Creative Cloud desktop app and select Beta apps in the left sidebar of the Apps panel. Then select install for your beta app.

Update: Go to the Creative Cloud desktop app, click on Update in the left sidebar of the Apps panel and Check for updates. Then click update for your beta app.

Let us know if this Beta release resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi getho,

The mentioned issue is fixed in the latest Bridge Beta release #13.0.2.630, Please install and confirm if that fixes the issue.
You can refer the issues fixed in this release @ https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/adobe-bridge-beta-is-now-available/td-p/13439655

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines