• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge 4.1.0.54: Error writing Metadata to some [....].jpg

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2011 Aug 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorting my files (.JPG) with bridge. Some files just can't get rated (bridge fails without giving me an error), and if I try to set other metadata (like keywords), bridge tells me "There was an error writing metadata to ".....JPG".

I have full access to the folder, it is an internal disk, the files are not locked. It affects about 5% of all files - this is the second shooting (&folder) where I have this problem. I don't see any differences between the files I can change and the ones where I can't.

I can rename the file with bridge, but that does change nothing. I tried purging the cache, it changed nothing.
I just found out: I can change the tags with Windows Explorer, Bridge does show them, and afterwards I can change them with bridge too. Someone got an Idea how I can avoid this step?

[Win7Pro x64, i7]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haggest wrote:

I believe its a question of Win7 ownership and permissions. I believe that the for some reason the physical drive I moved from my old PC to my new PC retains "ownership and permissions", so Win7 notes all of the folders as read-only, and won't write the metadata to the jpegs in that folder.

You are correct.  Files made on another computer do not have the same permission levels as ones made on the same computer

Here is a solution from Pixel Basher

The key to solving this issue lies is understanding that in terms of Windows 7 Security, every internal or external hard drive, plus folders, sub-folders and files thereon has an OWNER. Also each OWNER has a certain level of PERMISSION to do things such as moving files to a different folder, deleting or re-naming them etc. If you try to do things that you don't currently have Permission to do, that is when you get an ‘Access Denied’ error message. Also your system has an Admistrator or Administrators and at the outset you need to ensure through the Control Panel that you are listed as one of them. .

If, like me, you didn't realise these things, (and why would you if Microsoft or your computer or hard drive suppliers couldn't be bothered to really make sure you knew about them), then trying to fathom the ‘Access Denied’ problem becomes a stressful and frustrating nightmare as I can testify having spent a week at it!

The steps that I took to resolve the issue and which I believe now constitute the 'Correct Answer' are as follows:

1. First make sure that you have Administrator rights on your system via the Control Panel

2. Next ‘right click’ on the Drive whose files you want to gain full access to, for example the drive that your pictures are stored on, and click on 'Properties'.

3. Under the Security tab you will see a list of Groups and Users on this drive and the Permissions that they have to do things.

4. Before doing anything to edit these Permissions, first click on the Advanced button. This opens another window with a tab showing the Owner of this drive.

5. Click on the Owner tab and if you are not already listed as the owner, make yourself the owner by selecting your name from the list. I believe it should appear there if you are an admistrator or user. (In my case at this stage the owner was initially shown as an obscure string of numbers and letters which I believe identified the drive when it was connected to the lap top I was using before I upgraded my machine)

6. Now be sure to check the box that says "Replace Owner on Subcontainers and Objects" and the click Apply. On completion of this step, the drive in question and all the folders, subfolders and files thereon should now be 'owned' by you. You could check this out by right clicking on a particular folder then clicking Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner. Your name should appear. So far so simples!

7. Now go back to the Security Tab for your drive (Step 2 / 3 above) and look at the Permissions you currently have. Your aim now is to allow yourself 'Full Control.' If you don’t currently have this level of permission click Edit, select your name on the list, check ‘Full Control’ and 'Apply' the change.

8. I think I'm right in saying that at this point whilst still working in the Drive directory you are now given the option of ticking boxes which allow you to, in effect, cascade the permission you have just granted yourself to all the files and folders on that drive. Tick the box to allow this and Windows should then take care of the rest.If I'm not quite correct here then in my particular case, for example, all my images were stored on my external drive. The top level, or 'parent' folder in which all my pictures could be found was the 'My Pictures' folder and I had created a number of folders and subfolders ('child ' folders) within that folder. The permissions I gave to the Parent folder – My Pictures – were cascaded down through the Child folders.

9. On completion of the above step I tested the result in Windows Explorer by dragging a few files back and forth between folders and it now worked perfectly - I was now able to move / delete / rename etc all files without now getting the dreaded access denied message. What a sense of relief! This meant that I could now open Bridge normally rather than having to right click it and 'Run As Admistrator' - albeit that is a very useful thing to do until you get the problem sorted as described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt - You are the man! And didn't even remember the right-click - run as Admin trick.  I had been looking at 10-15 posts on Win7 permission, trying things for hours, but yours was the first that said START AT THE ROOT dummy, then I followed your instructions step-by-step and it works.  Thanks to the Forum another problem resolved. Now what was that winning lottery number?

Many many thanks!

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, 64 bit.  I gave everyone in the Drive Security windows full control.  It worked for some images, but not all.  I did the same for that individual folder of Jpegs.  Still cannot write to the files. CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens on Macs too, so while the suggested steps may fix the problem, the underlying bug remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a bug.  It is how the OS system sets up permission levels in both Win and Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO it's definitely a bug, and a longstanding one. Nobody here can speak to the cause of this behaviour since we don't have access to the source. All we can do is grope around in the dark trying to find a work-around based on the effects it causes and guess at the root reason.

No other application exhibits this behaviour, including those that read and write metadata; only Bridge. And the fixes range from "open the file in another program, make a small metadata change and save it again" to "modify the disk permissions" to "add filesystem metatdata."

IMHO the root cause has to do with a subtle interaction betwen the parsing engine than handles XMP data and something else that I can't pinpoint, possibly a bug in the code that interfaces between file read-writes used in the Bridge code and the OS code that does the actual read-write to disk. Or possibly a bug in the database code that incorrectly flags files as unwritable...although I doubt this one since deleting the Bridge cache doesn't fix it, at least for me.

But it is definitely a bug.

...Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Curt - Great work with the permissions issue.  Unfortunately, your approach has not resolved the issues for me.  My image assets live on a Linux based NAS and I use two different Windows 7 systems to access the files.  Both systems are experiencing the apparently related problem of not being able to assign a rating (or lable) or keywords on some apparently random files.  The most frustrating part is that the permissions on the two Windows boxes are identical but they each experience the error but on different files.  In other words, a file that generates a metadata error when adding a keyword on one system will not generate the error on the other system and vis-versa.  When I encounter an error on one system, I could use the other computer to make the required change.  After switching back to the main platform I am once again able to alter the asset metadata with the system that initially produced the error.

Initially I was using switching from one computer to the other and then back to do my work but the frequency of the metadata errors has been increasing to the point where switching is becoming unworkable and the issues Bridge (CS5) are impacting my productivity.

@ QE Team - Is a fix for this issue actually in development?

@ Anyone - Can anyone please suggest a reliable and relatively inexpensive alternative tool for browsing and sorting my assets?  And does this bug continue into CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For browsing and sorting ACDSEE always ran rings around bridge.

As far as this metadata error, it's not fixed in CS6. I photograph as well as design. Photos don't usually have the problem. Designs do (for me). I may spend a day creating graphics and at the end assign the copyright etc. to all my work. But when I select a bunch it sometimes tells me it can't apply to all. Once it gets done applying the one(s) that it won't apply to can't be done even indivitually. Could be jpg, PNG or whatever. And yes, opening them and making a minor change and re-saving usually does the job. But it's a real PITA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The year is 2014 and this still seems to be a problem. I am on a new Mac Pro 6 Core with the latest software running Bridge Creative Cloud and I still have trouble writing keywords to some TIFF files. I know it's not a permissions issue because I can write keywords to IPTC Core on the exact same files using ACDSee no problem. This alone may force me to switch to ACDSee if Adobe can't solve this issue. Looks like this started years ago. Anyone have any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I still have trouble writing keywords to some TIFF files.

Can you specify the file name convention you are using, just a wild guess but sometimes extra dots or strange characters can cause problems. I cant recall having problems with writing keywords to Tiff but I mostly use PSD so not that well a good tester for your problem.

If ACDSee can write the keywords to a tiff file and Bridge not then there is a serious problem going on, and you should try tech support for Adobe (Not easy, I know) but that would be the correct path to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to the most recent bridge. Have never had this error before. Windows 10 pro. pscc 2020. Looks like this problem has been around for 15 or more years. How about fixing this Adobe?!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix is super simple, when saving the image you gave it the incorrect format, rename the image to .png/ .jpg/ .webp/ ... .

Use the cmd with the command "ren *.png *.jpg" to mass rename the images with this problem images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having this issue and have had it for about two years now. I have tried all the steps suggested in all the responses (and then some) to no avail. Any help other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use Eagle it's so much better, that one can't even compare both software: https://eagle.cool/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines