Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge: how can i shorten Metadata field to copy it

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i want to copy a metadata field from on field to the other.

abcdef12345

But i want to copy online 12345?

How can i do this?

Thanks, Jörn

TOPICS
Metadata , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

The other problem is that Iptc4xmpCore:SubjectCode is not a langAlt array, it's a bag array, so it was being written incorrectly.

I added a different substr that will work if your filenames are different lengths and are formatted [charactersYouDoNotwant][8 character IPTC SubjectCode].[3 character extension] 

#target bridge
if( BridgeTalk.appName == "bridge" ) {
FT = MenuElement.create("command", "Add FileName to IPTC Suject code", "at the end of Tools");
}
FT.onSelect = function () {
AddFilenameT

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not online, only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My code, but doesn` t work.

#target bridge
FT = MenuElement.create("command", "Add FileName to IPTC Suject code", "at the end of Tools");
}
AddFilenameToCredit();
}
function AddFilenameToCredit(){
var thumbs = app.document.selections;
if(!thumbs.length) return;
if (ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript == undefined) ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject("lib:AdobeXMPScript");
for(var a in thumbs){
var selectedFile = thumbs[a].spec;
//var Credit = decodeURI(selectedFile.name).substr(length -13, length -4);
var Credit = decodeURI(selectedFile.name).replace(1,2);
var myXmpFile = new XMPFile( selectedFile.fsName, XMPConst.UNKNOWN,
XMPConst.OPEN_FOR_UPDATE);
var myXmp = myXmpFile.getXMP();
myXmp.deleteProperty(XMPConst.NS_IPTC_CORE, "Iptc4xmpCore:SubjectCode");
myXmp.appendArrayItem(XMPConst.NS_IPTC_CORE, "Iptc4xmpCore:SubjectCode", Credit, 0,
XMPConst.ALIAS_TO_ALT_TEXT);
myXmp.setQualifier(XMPConst.NS_IPTC_CORE, "Iptc4xmpCore:SubjectCode[1]",
"http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace", "lang", "x-default");
if (myXmpFile.canPutXMP(myXmp)) {
myXmpFile.putXMP(myXmp);
myXmpFile.closeFile(XMPConst.CLOSE_UPDATE_SAFELY);
}
}
}

can anyone help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jörn5F90 can you give us an exampe filename and the desired value you want written to SubjectCode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have asked what is not working. The script runs and writes data, so I assume the problem is that the resulting value is not correct. I got the entire filename written to SubjectCode when I tested it.

If your filenames always have the same format this will not be hard. 

As an example, if your filename is abcdef20000032.jpg

and you only want the subject code "20000032"

you would use this substr:

var Credit = decodeURI(selectedFile.name).substr(6, 8);

If your filenames have a variable number of characters or the file extensions are not always 3 characters, then it will be harder, but not too hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other problem is that Iptc4xmpCore:SubjectCode is not a langAlt array, it's a bag array, so it was being written incorrectly.

I added a different substr that will work if your filenames are different lengths and are formatted [charactersYouDoNotwant][8 character IPTC SubjectCode].[3 character extension] 

#target bridge
}
AddFilenameToCredit();
}
function AddFilenameToCredit(){
var thumbs = app.document.selections;
if(!thumbs.length) return;
if (ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript == undefined) ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject("lib:AdobeXMPScript");
for(var a in thumbs){
var selectedFile = thumbs[a].spec;
var str = decodeURI(selectedFile.name);
// works if filename is formatted [charactersYouDoNotwant][8 character IPTC SubjectCode].[3 character extension]  example: abcdef20000032.jpg
var Credit = str.substring(str.length-12, str.length-4);
// works if filename is always the same length
//var Credit = str.substr(6, 8);

var myXmpFile = new XMPFile( selectedFile.fsName, XMPConst.UNKNOWN, XMPConst.OPEN_FOR_UPDATE);
var myXmp = myXmpFile.getXMP();
myXmp.deleteProperty(XMPConst.NS_IPTC_CORE, "Iptc4xmpCore:SubjectCode");
myXmp.appendArrayItem(XMPConst.NS_IPTC_CORE, "Iptc4xmpCore:SubjectCode", Credit, 0, XMPConst.ARRAY_IS_UNORDERED);
if (myXmpFile.canPutXMP(myXmp)) {
myXmpFile.putXMP(myXmp);
myXmpFile.closeFile(XMPConst.CLOSE_UPDATE_SAFELY);
}
}
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the different betwen this two arrays?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three types of arrays in XMP

1. bag is an unordered array. The items order in the list do not matter and an application is not costrained to display them in any particular order. For example, keywords (dc:subject) display order is not enforced.

2. seq is an ordered array. The items order in the list is meaningful and applications are expected to display them in the same order as they are written in the XMP. For example, mutliple creators might be listed in order of importance (dc:creator).

3. langAlt (language alternative) is an ordered array and has language qualifiers that allow applications to display a language variant. For example, the copyright notice (dc:rights) could be written to XMP in several languages and the application could display the text that matches the user's system language. Typically, only one languge is saved in XMP using the qualifier "x-default" (meaning it is the default value to be displayed), but it is possible to specify other IETF RFC 3066 language qualifiers. Except for custom scripts, Bridge does not save multiple languages, as far as I know, it is usually "x-default"

When writing XMP, it is critical to use the proper XMP property type (there are other types besides arrays) in order to create valid, readable metadata. See the XMP Specification  for more info.  Part 1, Data model, Serialization, and Core Properties explains property types and has a list of core properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The IPTC specification is also very useful.

When testing a script or evaluating a metadata issue, it is useful to look at the raw XMP record. In Bridge, go to File Info > Raw Data. This will reveal what is really going on with the metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines