• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge is Back to Conusuming over 90% CPU

Contributor ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge 12.0.0.234 is consuming over 90% of the CPU - AGAIN.  This was sloved in previous versions of Bridge, but now it's back.  It consumes so much resource that the mouse is even laggy.  Opening a raw file in PS takes 20-30 seconds.  Slider movements are laggy - at best.  Sometimes they are completely ignored.

Once again, you've made PS virutally unsuable.  Sigh...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge "Generates Thumbnails" for hours in a folder with 1440 dng files, consuming over 90% of the CPU the whole time.  What in the world could Bridge possibly be doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Refreshing thumbnails.

Its nuts.

make sure you select use software rendering in preferences and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.  Tried it - no difference.  Can't say it was worse rendering in software... it's hard to get worse than 99.6% of the CPU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @scottbu 

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear about the issue.

Could you please share the following details with us:

1. System configuration.

2. Files/formats on which the issue is observed.

3. Thumbnail quality & Preview generation settings.

Please share the sample files on which you are observing the issue at sharewithbr@adobe.com 

Also, could you please try setting the preview generation options to the following and let us know if you still face the issue?

High CPU recommendation.png

Thanks,

Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the long delay.  The problem inexplicably went away for a while, then just as inexplicably returned.

System Config:

MB: Asus X99E

CPU: I7-6800K

Mem: 48GB DDR4 3200

Graphics: NVIDIA RTX 3070 FE

Drives:

Data: WD Black 4TB, 1.4TB free

Bridge Cache: Sandisc SSD 240GB, 195GB free

Bridge Ver: 12.0.0.234

Files/Formats

Doesn't matter.  This happens in every folder, some with all psd files, some with all dng files, some with a mixture of dng and psd, some with a mixutre of nef, arw, and dng files.  It also doesn't matter if the folder is on an SSD or standard drive.

Thumbnail quality & Preview generation settings:

Identical to your suggestion above.

Sample files on which you are observing the issue:

Again, doesn't matter.

Problems:

When I open Bridge, even in the same folder I've been using for days, it takes 15-20 seconds to "Build Critera."  Some thumbnails appear in the Content window, but if I scroll down, none or just a few scattered thumbnails are shown.  Bridge consumes up to 99.4% of the CPU.  It dosn't seem to matter how long I have Bridge open - after several hours, it's still consuming over 90% of the CPU.  Opening a file in ACR takes 20-30 seconds.  All controls are laggy at best.

Your products are simply unusable like this.  I spent a lot of time collecting and sending log files the last time this occurred (in a previous release).  I'm willing to do that again.  I would like to continue to use Adobe products, but not when I can't get anything done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I know without any doubt that this is NOT a problem on my computer, since I just built a completely new one, with a new C drive and fresh installs of Bridge and PS.  The problem still exists.  New configuration:

MB: Asus Z590

CPU: I9-11900K

Mem: 64GB DDR4 3600

Graphics: NVIDIA RTX 3070 FE (Studio driver 511.09)

Drives:

Data: WD Blue 500GB SSD, 160GB free, or...

WD Black 4TB, 1.6TB free

Bridge Cache: default C drive location.  C Drive is Western Digital Blue SSD.  1TB, 740GB free

Bridge Ver: 12.0.0.246

This is rediculous.  Bridge consumes so much CPU, it takes over 20 seconds just to open a 24MB dng file.  I can't work like this.  PLEASE FIX IT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I'm done.  Now Bridge consumes so much CPU that I can't even open a dng file in PS to edit.  Double clicking seemingly does nothing.  Right click, open in bridge does nothing for several minutes, then finally opens ACR.  Then since I've double-clicked it several times to get it to respond, while I'm editing in ACR, a new ACR window opens with the same image.  Over and over and over...

Meanwhile, there is NOTHING else running on the PC.  All other apps are snappy.  Bridge is the ONLY issue I have.

I've signed out of and uninstalled Bridge and PS.  If anyone from Adobe cares to fix this, I'll be happy to help.  Meanwhile, I'm downloading Capture One and On1 trials.  I have to get work done and I can't with Adobe's products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in the off chance that anyone at Adobe is paying any attention to this issue, here is more info observed on my new PC:

When Bridge is consuming 95%+ of the CPU, double clicking on any thumbnail in the Content window causes an "Adobe Photoshop" subprocess to be spawned under the Bridge process.  It will set there consuming no resources for several minutes while Bridge is off in the weeds.  Then it will get some time on the CPU and will open ACR (in PS) for editing.  Each time I double click a thumbnail, it adds another PS subprocess under Bridge.  I've had as many as 58 of them, all waiting for some system resource to execute.  While there are any of these subprocesses waiting under the Bridge process, I can't open PS.  Double clicking the icon in the start menu does nothing.  Double clicking the photoshop.exe file in Windows explorer does nothing.  Opening any other program is slow, but does work.

Based on that observation, I restarted Windows and opened PS first.  It opens fine.  Then I opened Bridge.  This time, even though Bridge was still above 95% CPU, double clicking a thumbnail opened ACR immediately.  So that's the short term workaround to at least open a file.  But Bridge still consumes so much CPU that editing is painful at best.  Everything is laggy to the point where it's almost not worth the effort.

Given enough time (many hours), Bridge will drop to sub-1% of the CPU - then I can edit files.  When I save a psd file (in the same folder), Bridge immediately goes back to 99%+ CPU usage and will stay that way for a few minutes, then go quiessent again.  This behavior is repeatable every time.

Hopefully this is useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also a cpu problem, since Bridge 12.0.1.246, over a longe time (min. 10 Sec.) 100% cpu only if I click the help "button" in the top line. The cpu is slowly rising up to 100%.

It could not be a problem of the system, because I used the version before yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my problem was not Adobe, it was NVIDIA GeForce Experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. So how did you fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deinstall GeForce Experience. I think I need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G force experience is a gaming algorithm software package that comes with Nvidia driver package.

If you don't do gaming,don't install it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the studio driver, it works with studio apps... Bridge, On1, Topaz Labs, etc.

I've checked Task Manager - it does not run on boot and is not in the list of tasks or background  processes unless I explicitly run it.  I've also tried Bridge with and without it running - no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made the mistake of updating Bridge (11.1.1) and lo and behold, the exact same issues that have persisted for at least 4 years now. Why aren't you doing anything about this issue, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just realized that I'm encountering this very issue with Bridge (12.0.2.252) and now I can't use it at all, not even for doing something as simple as editing descriptions in 12MP DNG photos I captured with my Galaxy S21.  Bridge suddenly becomes a CPU and memory hog whenever I deal with my smartphone pics.  I thought MAYBE I could get around this by enabling the option that always uses xmp sidecar files with the DNGs, but it didn't make a  difference.

I got the idea to try the latter because I noticed I don't have ANY issues with performance when handling my Canon EOS R5's 45 megapixel CR3 files.  How is it that Bridge is a much more usable piece of software with file sizes two to three times larger?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines