Exit

Bug: File Renaming isn't counted as Modification

Engaged ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I edit pixel data of files on Monday
  • On Tuesday, I batch rename these files with Bridge

Using filters on Tuesday and sorting by modified date, I don't see what I did to the files on that day – they still show Monday as the modification date.

TOPICS
Batch , Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Polyxo. Sorry for the trouble. I'll need more details to help you figure this out. 

Please share these details to help you. 

What version of Bridge and operating system are you using?

Would you mind sharing a video recording of what exactly is happening?

What is the file type/format? 

Where are you saving these files? 

Thanks! 

Shivani 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivani @sprinklr-integration-user 

this is the latest Bridge Beta 14.1.1.271 version on Windows 10. The file format in this case was PSD, but you should see the same for every file format.

It's not possible to capture a video. It had to run for many hours to demonstrate the problem. However, it is effortless to replicate what I see. Just follow the steps in my first post.

As @Conrad_C pointed out (thanks!), it could be, that you consider this behaviour intended – to act in line with operating systems. I just saw that Windows also acts this way. So, if your goal is to stick closely to OS conventions, you could close this ticket.

In our use case, naming images is a vital editing step, as images are published to the web and are intended to rank in organic search. You can imagine naming to be as vital for us, as keyword-assignment for typical photographers work. 

To track progress, it would be helpful to see if these metadata-level modifications change the editing date as well. This would reflect the reality, since metadata editing involves changing data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To track progress, it would be helpful to see if these metadata-level modifications change the editing date as well. This would reflect the reality, since metadata editing involves changing data.

By @polyxo

File name modifications are file name modifications – not metadata modifications.

If you use Batch Rename, then there is an option to store the current filename as metadata (if the file format accepts this metadata entry).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File name modifications are file name modifications – not metadata modifications.

"Metadata (or metainformation) is data that provides information about other data, but not the content of the data itself, such as the text of a message or the image itself." Source 

It may still be that Adobe does not call file-names Metadata.  However, to describe my case (no native speaker), I simply needed a word to describe my non-pixel-level changes. We have no need to store file-names in a custom field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@polyxo 

Understood, if you make no changes to either the metadata or the binary data, then the file hasn't changed. The file name has changed, but that doesn't count as a change to the file itself. So not a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is file system metadata, not image metadata. And on the Mac at least, you can use the touch command to update modification dates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_(command)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @Stephen_A_Marsh. Thanks also @Lumigraphics for bringing up Touch. We're on Windows – it does not look as if there were a simple and automatic equivalent. We will use the move to folder option in Batch Rename from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might not be considered a bug, because at least on macOS (if you are using Windows, test this on the Windows Explorer desktop) it works exactly the same way: A file name edit does not count as a file modification, so the modification date does not change.

The way that OSs think about it, a modification is a change to a file’s contents. The filename is not considered contents. In this case, contents are the pixels or layers, which did not change, so a filename change does not change the modification date.

So if you did the same thing outside of Bridge, renaming files in a folder on the computer desktop, you will probably find that the same thing happens, the modification date does not change. I am not sure if you can find an application that will register a modification date change because of a filename edit, but if you can find an application that does that, post it here because I’d be surprised if any do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines