• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't apply metadata to certain files in Bridge

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a folder in Bridge to apply a metadata template to the list of files, some of them don't show the thumbnail image (only the PS symbol). These files won't allow their metadata to be changed, either with a template or manually. I can't find any file restrictions or any other reason for this happening. Maybe I'm running up against memory limitations, but when I select a folder in Bridge, it just loads all the files - I can't see a way to just load a smaller group of files. Having to open each of these files in PS and appply the metadata one by one will be a real hassle. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

If you open a folder with 10,000 files, Bridge will (try) to create thumbnails for those files. There's no way for Bridge to know you only want to open 10 of those 10,000 files. 

On the other hand, if you're opening a folder with 200 folders each of which has 500 files, it sounds like you have things set to open all of the subfolders. In Bridge 12, you have to do that manually, but in the Bridge 13 beta, you can set that in one of the menus to always do that. I currently do not have that Beta

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Thanks for your reply. I found that going into Bridge Preferences and increasing the Cache Size and Max Thumbnail Size solved my problem. I did have to purge the cache periodically, especially with larger files (Tools / Cache / Purge Cache). All good now. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open a folder with 10,000 files, Bridge will (try) to create thumbnails for those files. There's no way for Bridge to know you only want to open 10 of those 10,000 files. 

On the other hand, if you're opening a folder with 200 folders each of which has 500 files, it sounds like you have things set to open all of the subfolders. In Bridge 12, you have to do that manually, but in the Bridge 13 beta, you can set that in one of the menus to always do that. I currently do not have that Beta on this computer so I can't tell you which one, if you are using that Beta, you'll have to find it yourself (sorry).

Bridge has never been good at working with folders with thousands of files. Personally I always bring the content to lower than 300 whenever possible. Also, check the Options for Thumbnail generation and quality. If you have the Path Bar open (Window Menu), you see two triangles on the left side. The one that has a dropdown menu will show recommended settings. They are to be respected.)

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I found that going into Bridge Preferences and increasing the Cache Size and Max Thumbnail Size solved my problem. I did have to purge the cache periodically, especially with larger files (Tools / Cache / Purge Cache). All good now. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help, and good job thinking of expanding the cache. Like I said, I learned to work with smaller folders a LONG time ago so I never have to deal with the size of my cache. 

Life is compromise. Working with software is ALWAYS compromising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines