• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't change * Rating

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to sort, keep and discard multiple versions of pictures in several folders. The method I came up with was to rate 5* those I want to keep, set all the others to 0*, then view all in Bridge and delete or modify the ones with 0*.

Bulk set ratings works fine except for a few pictures. Ctrl-0, trying to edit metadata, taking ownership of the file, everything I try returns an error not allowing the change.

Interestingly, a copy of the file will change, just not the one I'm working on. Even just renaming it won't work.

What else should I try?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

I found the problem solution - in part.

The fix for my current problem was to go into the folder where the files were so I could change the permissions for various users. There was a user I didn't recognize, which was probably created by Photoshop, called CREATOR OWNER. I had to dig deep into the system to first disable "inherited permissions" for this use, then edit those "inherited permissions" to allow FULL ACCESS. This allowed me to bulk change metadata within Bridge. For others to do this, d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drkenrich1688  wrote

Interestingly, a copy of the file will change, just not the one I'm working on. Even just renaming it won't work.

What else should I try?

Hi

Does it work when you close the file and are no longer actively working on it?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such problems can be found (sometimes with answers) in the Bridge forum:

https://forums.adobe.com/community/bridge

Are the assets accessed on a local drive or over a network?

It could be keywords. It could be labels or star ratings. Sometimes one needs to purge the cache for the selected file or containing folder. Sometimes one needs to resave the file. Sometimes one needs to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Bridge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several good questions.

1.  Does it work when you close the file and are no longer actively working on it?

Answer: Even when I turn the computer off and return the next day or a week later, it still doesn't work.

2. Are the assets accessed on a local drive or over a network?

Answer: It's all on a local internal drive with no problems for several years so far.

3. ...purge the cache...

Answer: I purged the cache, turned off the computer, then restarted before opening Bridge again. Still doesn't work. I've actually gone in and changed the files, edited them, reset layers and filters, then saved them again in different folders. Still doesn't work.

This isn't on all the files. So far out of about 1,000 I've finished there are only 17 that refuse to cooperate..

---Edit---

I found part of the problem, but I'm not sure how to do a full fix.

If I go to a containing folder that holds any of the problem files and "Take Ownership" of the folder it indicates it's done, but there is no change in that file. However, if I select the specific file and "Take Ownership", it's fixed and works properly. I can do that for the 47 current files, but I don't want to have to do this for all future files.

So - How do I guarantee I am the owner of all files I create in the future? So far it seems to be hit or miss in assigning ownership.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the problem solution - in part.

The fix for my current problem was to go into the folder where the files were so I could change the permissions for various users. There was a user I didn't recognize, which was probably created by Photoshop, called CREATOR OWNER. I had to dig deep into the system to first disable "inherited permissions" for this use, then edit those "inherited permissions" to allow FULL ACCESS. This allowed me to bulk change metadata within Bridge. For others to do this, do a search for "windows inheriting permissions" for instructions.

Now, all I have to figure out is how to STOP or CHANGE Photoshop from assigning this user to the files I create. But that's another issue for another post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creator Owner account is a Windows Server thing. It can lock you out of any object. This site explains it:

Control owner access rights in Windows Server 2008 - TechRepublic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've worked mac and windows since greenscreen, and dos. The control objects this person has run into are not limited to Windows Server.  They are also in Windows Home\Professional.  They are usually only available for use to the Professional operating system, but do exist on the Home version.  Since the changeover to a "Rootless" running memory, the CREATOR OWNER user tag has been a common security principal for software to use when protecting memory space in an active file.  Most crosslink based software will use the same instance of this principal to allow for working across software titles.  Sometimes, when closing a software program the system "skips" the removal of the principal, especially if the processor is under strain.  Sounds like the case here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having this problem halfway through sorting a large batch of photos and it was frustrating the hell out of me. I found a very simple fix that I don't fully understand but wanted to add here for somebody else just in case they have the problem too. The short answer was that for some reason I just needed to properly delete the next file in my sorting routine rather than attempting to change the rating. From there everything just started working again and I could continue changing the rating on all the remaining files. This fix came after trying a bunch of things including relaunching Bridge, restarting my computer,  removing and reinserting the memory card and even finding that the entire DCIM folder on the card had been checked to read-only, I unchecked that and still made no difference. I hope this helps somebody!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines