• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant eject hard drive because Bridge is holding it hostage.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to eject the hard drive from Bridge and nothing happens.

I have to close Bridge entirely to be able to eject the hard drive from finder once Bridge has been open and browsed said hard drive.

I've been searching the forums for a similar problem/solution, but haven't found anything.

Can anyone point me towards a solution to this? I really like using Bridge over finder, but this but drives me up the wall.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TonyR12345,

We're sorry that you're facing problems ejecting your external hard drive safely after you close Lightroom. Could you please let us know the exact version of Bridge CC you're using?

Does Bridge still run in the background after you close it? (check in the Activity monitor to check this and kill the open task)

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You're misunderstanding the problem.

I don't use lightroom (it's not even installed on my machine).

I want to be able to eject the hard drive in Bridge:

but I get the error above.

The only way I am able to eject the drive is to completely quit bridge and then eject the drive.

I don't want to have to quit bridge every time I want to switch drives. I didn't used to have to do this.

Also, if it helps: I'm on the newest update of Adobe Bridge CC 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried making sure the active folder in Bridge isn't one on your external hard drive? Select a folder on your internal HD and try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeap. Definitely not on the external drive.

I just made sure all other programs were closed and only Bridge open. Closed all but 1 window on bridge (the one to right click on the external drive and eject.

No luck.

Also still, so long as Bridge is open, I can't even eject the drive from the Finder while Bridge is open.

Also, also: I've tried clearing cache/preferences to avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could answer this please, I have the same problem, and I bet lots of others do too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem when trying to eject my memory cards. Bridge will get caught in a loop or something and not let the card go. Have to completely shut down Bridge to eject the card with Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add my voice to this issue. It has been 9 months since the problem was reported and it is still not fixed. 

Can't eject SD card until I fully quit Bridge, then only via Finder. 

Bridge 10.0.2.131 

OS Catalina 10.15.3

The whole point of Bridge is that it keeps always running, breaking one of the main features of the app. Please pull your socks up and get this fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact problem. Here are the details you requested:

Bridge ejects cards well the first couple of times. Then the issue inevitably pops up. 

macOS Mojave version 10.14.6

Bridge version 10.1.1.166

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that's not right then. I'm on Win, and don't bother ejecting drives, never had an issue with not ejecting one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Please solve this issue on Mac, its has been like that since Day 1, unable to eject external drive on Mac Finder and unable to eject using Bridge as well. Have to close Bridge totally for it to work. Its November.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony, did you get an answer from Adobe on this issue? Its November and Adobe 2020, problem still there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just about to post the same issue.
In order to eject the drive, you have to close Bridge 10.0.2.131 and then eject via finder.
that is not typical behavior for this application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too, even when I close the finder it still does not let me eject my hard drive. I have closed every single program on my computer so there is no programs 'using' the hard drive and yet the error message still appears 

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 07.37.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add that I have been  havinging the same problem for months now.

The only way to eject the disk is to quit bridge!

Yes, please pull up your socks Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick question.

Does anyone have Bridge installed to open on Login or reboot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do. Recently added it to my autostart items again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you can disable autostart.

Reboot and see if it still happens without opening Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested it, and it seems you are onto something.

Step 1:
Bridge had autostarted. I connected a USB key. Didn't interact with the USB key (didn't copy anything to or from the key). Ejected from Bridge successfully.

Step 2:
Reconnected USB key, copied a file to the key. Tried ejecting the USB key from Bridge, but no response from the application. Tried to eject the USB key from Finder, but the error from the OP screenshot appeared.

Step 3:
Deactivated Launch on login option from Bridge preferences. Restart. Launched Bridge manually. Connected USB key. No interaction. Ejected successfully from Bridge.

Step 4: Re-connected USB key. Copied files to the USB key via Bridge. Ejecting USB key from Bridge successful.

It appears that the Autostart function is interfering here.

Kind Regards,

Julian Friesel

Graphic Designer

Airside Retail Park, Swords, Co. Dublin

M: +353 (0)85 100 9259

E: jfriesel@joeduffy.ie W: www.JoeDuffy.ie

[cid:image001.png@01D29108.A8C93450]

[id:image002.jpg@01D29108.74E13D90][id:image003.jpg@01D29108.74E13D90][id:image004.jpg@01D29108.74E13D90] [id:image005.jpg@01D29108.74E13D90]

Connect with Joe Duffy Group

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever reason, I can't see the latest replies to this thread (even after re-logging). So, just to re-iterate: The option to launch Bridge at login seems to be the source of the problem. I just tested it and when disabling this in Bridge I could eject my external drive directly from Bridge.

My testing approach

Step 1: 
Bridge had autostarted. I connected a USB key. Didn't interact with the USB key (didn't copy anything to or from the key). Ejected from Bridge successfully. 

Step 2:
Reconnected USB key, copied a file to the key. Tried ejecting the USB key from Bridge, but got no response from the application. Tried to eject the USB key from Finder, but the error from the OP screenshot appeared. 

Step 3: 
Deactivated "Start Bridge at login" option from Bridge preferences. Restart. Launched Bridge manually. Connected USB key. No interaction. Ejected successfully from Bridge. 

Step 4:
Re-connected USB key. Copied files to the USB key via Bridge. Ejected USB key from Bridge successfully. 

Conclusion
It appears that the Autostart function is interfering here. 

Disclaimer
As mentioned in my opening paragraph, I can't see the thread I had with user jbm007 anymore. Maybe it was removed? If this is a duplicate post, please feel free to remove it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction:

This only worked once. An hour later I tried again and we are back to Bridge holding the USB key hostage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem for at least a year, and it's still going strong in september 2020 (v10.1.0.163). It's annoying to the point that it makes Bridge hardly worth using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a problem, Feb 17, 2021. Bridge CC 10.0.4.157, Windows 10. Keeps links to USB sticks in any port, and an external USB  Drobo 5S. So annoying to have to close Bridge before ejecting any of these USB devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's May 2021, has there been a long term solution to this problem, as I am still facing this problem and totally agree that it is quite annoying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines