Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confused by keyword lists in Bridge

Participant ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Ive been using Bridge for ages now. I mostly add keywords to the file manually, or i copy keywords from another image (cut n paste).

Now the keywords panel in Bridge has always baffled me. now im trying to master it.

Ive just discovered "persistant keywords" by right clicking the word (or subgroup), so it appears as available in all images (horray).

What is so fustrating that when i click on other images (usually in other folders) a load of keywords appear in my keyword panel (in italic). So i go and move these into a sub group or delete them (if not ticked).

That was a waste of time because when I now go to another folder of images, a whole load more keywords appear in the keywords panel. If i now go back to the images folder from just now, all the keywords are back again, BUT not in ticked in the subgroups where i moved them to .

Oh man, this is so fustrating, I just cant get them sorted out. I have 100's and 100' of images with keywords, I cant possibly delete the keywords and start again.

TOPICS
How to , Keywords

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Persistent keywords have been added in Bridge so Bridge makes them available to all images. Italics mean the keyword is in a file but NOT in Bridge's stored list. Add your desired keywords to Bridge if you are going to assign them to more files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Yes worked that bit out today but, when I go to another image in another folder, then a load more words (say 30) get added to the keyword panel. These arent added under the "Other Keywords" group but in the main list. This means the main list is massive and my Persistant groups are mixed in with all words. To make this worse the list is completely sorted alphabetically. 

So when i move do differnt folders the non persistant words are still in the keyword panel, teh panel only gets longer and longer, the more folders i look in. If i close Bridge and open it, thats when the non persistant words dissapear.

Another problem, if i then MOVE those non persistant words into a persistant group, when i next go onto an image with those keywords, they just get added again in teh main list. Bridge doesnt seem to be able to work out that i added that word into a subgroup. It just doesnt work they way I would expect it to at all. I keyword images as part of my living.

Ok so even if non of that can be sorted, lets assumed going forward with a new folder of images, I am only going to use some of my keywords that are in persistant lists. So i go to my new folder and, hang on, there are still all the old non persistant words. So i have to quit Bridge and reopen it to get a clean (persistant only) list. Where is the "Clear Non persistant words" button?

So its a pain these non persistant words arent in the 'Other Keywords" and, 

Its a pain Persistant words arent at the top of the list.

Is this the same experience for other people? or what am i doing wrong?

Im using bridge ver 9.1.0.338 (now just tried 10.0.0.124 same problem)

Hopefully a screen shot will be attached, that is only part of a long list.

Thanks

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which part of that do you think answered any part of my questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what you got out of reading the official help files. They explain how to use keywords, isn't that what you are asking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already read the help files, didnt help, hense taking time to leave messages on the official forums. So i assumed you had read them and found something different that answered my issues? But it looks as if you havent read them, never mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had you actually read the help files, there is no such thing as subgroups. And keywords in italics are being read from your files. :sigh:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there anyone else around who is more helpful? and less sarcastic? :sigh:

I meant sub keywords not subgroups, so whats your answer on the sorting point?  is THAT in the helpfile? no :tut:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines