• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert tif to jpeg

Participant ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a method to convert a number of very large tif files to jpeg using Adobe Bridge?

thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Bridge will convert from TIFF to JPEG using the Export panel or you can download my free Utility Script Pack for Bridge from Adobe Exchange, it has a JPEG MiniExport script that will export JPEG files.

You can also look at XNViewMP, IRFANView (Windows only) or Faststone Viewer (Windows only) for working with and exporting images.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane,

This is simple: Go to the Tools menu and then drop down to -> Photoshop -> Image Processor. as shown below.

2020-02-09_11-43-49.png

When you do that you'll encounter this new window (note: more info below):

2020-02-09_11-45-17.png

A few things to point out: If you're unsure of the settings you check the first box to try things out.

For location (#2) I always put inside original folder. The new images will be placed in a new folder (in your case it will be called "JPEG" so it's pretty easy to find.

For type (#3), if all you want are JPG images, check that. For resize to fit, this can be dauting as it implies that you could get square images if you put in the same number, not so. Rather what you are doing is setting the maximum pixel size for either the width or height. Thus, if you put 1200 pixels, no image will have more than 1200 pixels on either the horizontal or vertical axis. The original size ratio will be maintained.

And lastly, if you have an preferences that you wish to run such as an action that makes each image look like tintypes, or the like, you can run that as well and add any copywright info, this is where it can also be added. 

If there's a lot of images (say thousands), this is a good opportunity to get a cup of coffee. But if it's only a few dozen, the process is fun to watch and be glad that you do not have to do this manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is the export panel, that will convert various files to jpg without opening Photoshop, but I don't know if it works if you don't have Photoshop.  Do you know, Gary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary, thank you for your reply.  I don't own Photoshop; I'm using Adobe Bridge solely to organize and add keywords to 1000s of family photos.  I am going to download a software program to convert a number of photos from tif to jpeg.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, then no.

Bridge has no image manipulation capabilities of its own in any way. 

Bridge is used exclusivly to view images and various other documents so you can play keep and toss, select images to enhance, etc. 

FWIW, I also have 1000s of family images, a number of them dating to the early parts of the 20th century. You may wnat to look in to Lightroom Classic as that has some very excellent facial recognition capabilities that will do the keywording for you. Plus, you can create "Catalogs" that can be accessed via Lightroom in a browser to be seen by anyone you send a link to. Plus, there are plans to get this AND Photoshop for as low as $9.99/month. 

For more info check out: photography

Something to consider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would echo Gary's recommendation to use Lightroom for family photos. As Gary knows, I don't really like using lightroom, but I do for all my family photos due to the facial recognition, and entering keywords is much easier in LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge will convert from TIFF to JPEG using the Export panel or you can download my free Utility Script Pack for Bridge from Adobe Exchange, it has a JPEG MiniExport script that will export JPEG files.

You can also look at XNViewMP, IRFANView (Windows only) or Faststone Viewer (Windows only) for working with and exporting images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry but I am unable to "reply" to specific posts.  There is NO export panel in Adobe Bridge.  I am downloading a free converter for just a few dozen photos that had been scanned very high resolution in tif and bmp many years ago.

Good to know about the facial recognition feature, but alas, I am near the finish line. 

Last year, I sorted through 2000+ slides and selected 500 to have digitized, professionally.  I then viewed 1000s of film negatives, and captured a good percentage.  Next, 15 large albums of photographs.  Now, I am going slowly through last album of black/white images from 1880 – 1939.  There still remains several boxes that contain black/white images of my late husband’s family. No identification on back of photos, so it will be my best guess. I hope to finish this project before summer. The younger generation can enhance, retouch, sharpen whatever they choose.  I’ve done my part for posterity! It's been a journey down the decades, "meeting" family members long gone, and I'm glad I took the trip....

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current version of Bridge has an export panel.

Asset conversion using the Export panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, that's a lot of work. I just digitized all my mom's slides and most my dad's B&W negs. Still need to correct a lot of them. I've done all the old photos from he 1800's. The names are an issue. Got pretty good recognizing people, but still, so many unidentified. My favorite were my great-grandmother's photos. She wrote the names across the image, so I had to retouch them out. She also added some comments like one of her husband's family: "McCains, all dead now."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's wonderful!  I see now that Adobe Bridge was updated to include export.  How do I upgrade my current version of Adobe Bridge?  I clicked on all the tabs on the horizontal bar at the top, but I did not find a link to get the "latest version".  EH.  My late-husband, an engineer and computer whiz, used to do all the techy stuff (while I baked loaves of homemade bread).  I just need a bit of assistance.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update via the CC Desktop App.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines