• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 Bridge search stopped working Windows 10 pro ver 1903

Engaged ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry to bother you, but I've looked through the Bridge search problems and haven't been able to fix the situation.

CS6 Bridge "search" function has stopped working .... it won't search for anything other than a folder that has recently been opened.  For instance, I'm working on a project for a local immigrant program.  When I searched for the Key Word "Chinese" no photos were selected (I was searching in the right folder, which I double-checked.)  So I poked around in the photos and found those of Chinese immigrants and opened that folder in Bridge.  Just for the heck of it, I closed the Chinese folder and did a Bridge search.....this time the folder opened.  So I then searched for my granddaughter, Ellie.  No photos showed up....and I'm certain you can imagine I have about million photos of her now that she's 7 years. 

I'm using a Dell XPS 8700 with an i7 processor and 24gb of RAM.  The OS is Windows 10 64bit, version 1903, which otherwise is working very well. 

Hope you can help, because although I'm retired I still use a bank of 5gb of photos and not being able to search those is a problem I don't want to even consider.

Thanks much!

bab

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

The current version of LR, you just select the folders that you want to import and press a button. It catalogs all the metadata. It's that easy! I only use it for that, I still use Camera Raw and Bridge to sort and edit my images. It's worth doing a trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019
Oh, it's still only $10 a month.....I thought it had gone up in price. I suspect that might be the best option after all. I've been using Capture One for Fuji X and have inquired as to the usefulness of Bridge keywords (Capture One also has a catalog), but I also do illustrations and there's no Program better than Photoshop for that application.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is Bruce B.  Contrary to the way my profile reads, I have NOT solved this problem yet.  Thanks for helpful suggestions.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue, even with the current Bridge CC 2019. No idea when it will be addressed. I JUST had to update metadata for 900+ photos on two different drives and ran into the same issue as you- drive indexes are not being retained so files can't be found. Even using a custom-written Bridge search script, it was a major PITA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's mildly disgusting and terribly infuriating. There must be a workaround somewhere. Suggestions? Even for a Bridge search script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As much as I like Bridge and don't like Lightroom, I catalog all the photos that I want to find using Lightroom. To keep Bridge running somewhat decently, it needs to purge its cache, so indexes are lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't like LR either, so deleted it after two or three years of non-use. And.....I deleted the Bridge cache, hoping it would help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with problem. If I reopened all the dates I have photos would that restore the indexes? Sorry, there's only one line here to type in, so I may have sent the same message more than once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's best to reply using the blue button at the top of the thread, as the other response box has a lot of issues.

Opening the folders should restore, but for how long? Like I said, I do use LR, just so I can find images quickly. I don't put all my images into it, but I've been digitizing tons of family photos, so I want to be able to find people quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BruceB,

I hear you about the need to find your family photos, I have also been scanning in tons of family photos. 

Perhaps the best way to get safe organization with Bridge is to have a very tightly organized Folder structure. Bridge has some wonderful strengths, but it is not a DAM (Digital Asset Management). Please excuse the analogy: a hammer is not the only tool you need in your workshop. There are some things that I use Bridge for and other things I use LR for.

I myself avoided LR for a number of years but finally bit the bullet several years ago and have found it does a wonderful job in many many ways and DAM of your family is definitely part of that. Be aware that it does do facial recognition. When you start, the results will probably be comically bad but as you teach it who's who, it does get better and better until you find that it will recognize people at different ages (it might not recognize your uncle who's since grown a beard).

If you have the Photography Plan, you can simply redownload Lightroom. Be sure the get Lightroom-Classic, not Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the photography subscription and no longer have an LR Catalogue. My folder structure is solid, but I do need to fix this problem as Bridge is the only method I have to retrieve photos using keywords. Somebody please tell me there's a way to restore indexes and keep them available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Gary, you should see the mess that my file structure is with my family photos! I'll have to show you next time you're over. Trouble is I come across a new box or envelopes of slides or negs, and that messes me up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the photography subscription and no longer have an LR Catalogue. My folder structure is solid, but I do need to fix this problem as Bridge is the only method I have to retrieve photos using keywords. Somebody please tell me there's a way to restore indexes and keep them available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use the facial recognition? A folder structure with family is a lost cause. Do you file the image with Aunt Matilda or your grandfather who's standing next to her. With facial recognition and that keywording that that provides you really don't need to depend upon folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's sort of what I do. I use LR to tag each person, drawing the box around their face. Unfortunately, facial recognition in LR really doesn't work with negative images. Something I've brought up, but no response, along with an invert preset, so the controls don't work in reverse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bummer: they won't build in the controls to work with negatives into PS and what they have won't work with negatives in Lr. We can talk about this next week. Maybe we can think of some sneaky way to get around this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a big bummer to me because you two are interfering with a problem I need solved. Is there no other way you can talk without getting in the way of someone who might help with the problem I've outlined? And thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sorry for highjacking your thread. as we mentioned, Bridge isn't the best tool for image search. They're been making some major changes to Bridge, and with that there have been some major hickups, especially with it's cache and working on external volumes. Frankly, I'm not sure how much Adobe is willing to put into ramping up Bridge search, when there is Lightroom. Have you tried using Bridge's collections?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some collections are ok and others show only missing photos. I'm still using CS6 disconnected from CC, so I'm not certain I would be affected by Bridge reworking on CC. Is there any way to reinstall the links? Is there another DAM that could do so? It's peculiar.....the only photos to show up in any search are those I've opened recently. Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, forgot that you mentioned you were on CS6. The only way I can think of to re-establish the links is what you were doing, reopening the folders. But that didn't really work. Other than Lightroom, which I still think would be your best option, as you could just import the images, and it should read all your metadata, so you wouldn't have to do anything, I don't lknow of any other DAM out there. I'm sure there is. I used to use FileMaker as a database for my images, before I started using LR. It was nice in that I could create custom imput and search screens for my images. At that time I didn't put any metadata in my images, just the data base. So when I switched over, I had to write a script that took all the info and applied it to each image's metadata - a bit of a pain, but it could most like be done the other way too. A script could pull all the metadata from your images, then create a csv file that you could use to search in a spreadsheet, like Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you indicating I could load Keywords into LR and all photos with metadata and LR would be able to index photos through a search? How would I get batches (monthly folders for example) transferred to LR without loading them first into the catalogue? I forget....I may have an old disc or program file for LR 5 or 6, so that could be the best option. Currently I think I'd have to buy a CC subscription which is something I'm opposed to doing. I may have to rethink that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current version of LR, you just select the folders that you want to import and press a button. It catalogs all the metadata. It's that easy! I only use it for that, I still use Camera Raw and Bridge to sort and edit my images. It's worth doing a trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one acquire the current version of LR pray tell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, current versions are only subscriptions, and are normally cheaper if you get the photo plan with PS and LR. CS6 is pretty old now. I do like entering keywords in LR better. As Gary mentioned the facial recognition really saves a lot of time entering keywords for people. It's not perfect, and some of the results are funny, but it does save a ton of time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll keep this as my prime option, although I have put out feelers in other directions. Thanks for the help.....the transfer option to LR sounds like it's just what I need. However, retirement has caused a reacquaintance with that term, frugality, so I choose payment options carefully. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, retirement can really pinch your lifestyle. Definately look for other options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines