• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Bridge opens on the folder it was last opened/closed in, it takes a long time to load, constantly 'building criteria' as if all the images are newly imported. I've searched the forums, have tried all the tweaks and settings, but it's still iceberg slow.  Bridge CS5 is noticeably quicker, as if the cache info is being read immediately. CS6 is behaving as if the cache file has been deleted. It hasn't. I have tried the "flush the cache" to see if maybe it's corrupted. No joy. I have boosted cache size. No joy. I've compacted, automatically exported cache to folders, everything... Nothing seems to fix the snail slowness.

All Adobe updates have been applied.

i7-2600s @2.80GHz

8 gb DDRw ram

Nvidia GeForce GT420 1gb DDR3

6+ tbs hd space.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 206 Replies 206
Engaged ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't know what this is all about. Have one folder with 6,500 pictures (jpg's), with massive amount of description inside each picture. It takes 14 seconds for the spinning wheel to stop and all is available - this is with the keyword panel showing. As already mentioned before, there are 10 favorites in the favorites panel. Removing them makes no difference at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenrabbit wrote:

SOLVED!. I noticed that while waiting for Building Criteria on CS6 Bridge, that my optical drive was inoperative, ie the draw wouldn't move and that there was something going on. After Criteria was built I went into Control Panel - Device Manager and disabled the optical drive (reversible). I then closed and reopened Bridge. It now works perfectly. I can only assume that the the Bridge caching and that which is probably used by the optical drive were somehow overlapping in memory.

However, this means I no longer have an optical drive.

Chris

greenrabbit is on the right track; I will elaborate below.

I had the same problem; it appeared suddenly a few days ago after a bunch of Windows Updates.  Assuming it was one of the updates that mucked things up, I uninstalled them all.  No luck.  Read all the threads posted on this topic, including each and every message in this one.  Tried all the aforementioned stuff (uninstall, reinstall, move cache, yada yada yada...).

Chris's "SOLVED" message made me think, so I unplugged my 28 port USB hub, and, faster than I can type this sentence, Bridge popped to life, as well as itunes (which I had also been having problems with).  VOILA!!  It was something to do with my USB devices!  I have several external drives, and apparently, one of them, or the port it was plugged into on the hub, is either failing or has failed.  I'm guessing Windoze was trying to read that drive and held up everything else that looks at all the drives.

Now it's just a matter of plugging them back in, one at a time, to figure out which one (the hub is fine, as are all the other devices that are plugged into it).  Hopefully this last piece should take me just a few minutes, and hopefully it'll help others on this way-too-long (timewise) thread.  Good luck, and please post your experiences.

Loren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have mentioned a couple other things in conclusion:

1.  So, in Chris's case, it wasn't the fact that it was an optical drive, it was a USB drive which apparently failed; it could have just as easily been a regular USB drive.  Also, it may have been the port it was plugged into, so it might pay to try it in a different port.

2.  When I switch folders, the thumbnails pop up almost instantaneously; I still see the Building Criteria message, but it's very quick, even in a large folder with several hundred images.

Loren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to a couple of macs in the studio I work in.

What worked for me was to create a new cache folder. Go to Cache preferences, click on "choose" and create a new folder and select it as the destination. Then restart Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am brand spanking new to Bridge and Lightroom for that matter though I have yet to understand difference or preference.

I came across this thread as I also have the forever 'building criteria' issue.

I have 7281 jpegs in one folder (no other structure or planned sort  - hence why I am trying Bridge to help!).

It took a long time  - as I suspected - to have the thumbnail screen open so all could be seen. After an age of 'building criteria' during which the filter options (bottom left box) was empty I have now moved onto an age of 'preview extractions'. The filter options are now present but there seems no end in sight. The odd thing is that the number next to 'preview extractions' seems to be going up , I leave it and then seems to be counting down. All the while the small 'rotating' circle whizzes around suggesting its upto something.

No idea whats going on. I have export cache to folder ticked. I guess that was by default.  At this early stage I have no idea what that means or if its right thing to have or if build 100% preview would be better.   

Sorry no solution but sharing the common issue or problem or whatever it is... !

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who are still having issues (sometimes I am), try disabling the Adobe SwitchBoard.  Go to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard

and find SwitchBoard.exe and rename it.  For me, killing the SwitchBoard startup has certainly helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(adds) or go into Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services and find SwitchBoard, double-click on it and set it to Disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why is this so hard!!!!  I've now tried everything I can from all the above posts and nothing.  It takes forever for the pictures to come into focus once selected in Bridge.  I"m running CC2015 and bridge 6.1.1.10 x64.  Taking most of the favorites out did seem to bring bridge up faster.  But opening them is still a painfully long process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sys: Windows 7, Adobe CC/Bridge updated) Have similar issues as everyone else - slow folder "load" time if it has a lot of files/img.(Building criteria) I've tried a variety of the suggestions and haven't noticed anything change significantly. I am using Bridge to preview/work in a network drive and that may be the source of my issues. But as lorenbc & greenrabbit discovered, if the drive, whatever kind, is having issues, that seems to be exacerbated in Bridge. So I see my next step being working with my IT dept and seeing if any changes or upgrades to our network drives makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

got my answer and it seems to work.  I was with Adobe for the longest time!!!  It seems that Bridge doesn't like to talk to my external hard drive.  I was using a hub for the connection.  When I moved it to the blue usb port on the front of my tower it went much faster.  In fact, as fast as it did before.  So first try to put the images on your desktop and see if there is a difference in the speed.  If there is then it is the same problem as mine.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it also works if you have the "Keyword" panel selected. If you have the "Filter" panel selected, it takes a long time for the pictures to show. On one directory, with over 6000 pictures, the difference is from 5 seconds to 1 minute

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's been a long time since I started this thread, but still an issue, even with upgrading to a high end graphics card, adding more ram to a total of 32gbs, faster HD, faster CPU,  and trying all the suggestions.  I've pretty much gotten resigned to the fact that Adobe will not ever bother with this now that so many have jumped onto their subscription model. (Yes, that means I had emailed/Called them regarding this) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having massive problems as well using Bridge when reading a SD card.  Turns out i fixed it, by accident, when i replaced the SD card reader.  I was using the built-in reader on a Dell XPS desktop and i changed over to an EC Technology SD / CF combo reader - massive difference! Bridge loves this reader, super fast!

It may be possible the Bridge is accessing the hardware in a different manner in an attempt to speed up transactions, but not every piece of hardware and driver combo likes that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I've tried a Pro Master and Lexar external readers. Bridge CS6 still demonstrably slower than CS5 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge 2017 is even worse. It takes 20 seconds to open Bridge CS5 to a folder containing 8000 jpg images with detailed descriptions. It takes Bridge 2017 2 minutes for the same task........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you upped the cache size and compacted, or rebuilt, the cache?  Try turning off 100% cached previews, as well, IMHO it is a waste of resources and a CPU hog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start at the beginning of my original post.  Of COURSE I did all that, and more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the only thing I can say to try, because I may have done this myself, is to uninstall, reboot and then reinstall Bridge.  Install any updates afterwards.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cache size is set at maximum 500,000. Please note that the settings in both CS5 and 2017 are similar, using the same cache. Did a trial install on a brand new fast PC and this is where the load times are taken.

On my older PC, the load time for the same folder (on that PC) takes 4 minutes. However, have been able to reduce this to 10 seconds, using a OCZ SYNAPSE SATA SSD drive to cache my main drive

So why is CS5 so incredibly fast, when compared to 2017, where apart from Camera Raw, all else is similar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know really.  Could be any type of bug, from an improperly registered DLL to an access violation to a conflict with a Windows Update patch.

500,000 for the cache setting is too high.  Again, about the only thing i could suggest is to turn off 100% preview and then completely purge the cache.  Uninstall Bridge, reboot, reinstall, recheck those settings (50,000 / no preview) and let Bridge then rebuild the cache. 

You have nothing to lose but to try, except the time spent.  I can't guarantee any results at all but it may be worth the try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, this is a new install, where the problems are similar to the old install. Have trial installs on various systems, all exhibiting the same slowness. Bridge started to slow with CS6 and is getting slower with every build....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then your only hope is to prod Adobe into fixing it, as users the best we can do in this type of situation is give advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate you trying to help. Have talked to Adobe about it, as have countless other users, judging from the many posts. Anyway, I'll just put up with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is still there in the latest Bridge CC 2018. I ALWAYS get it on large folders, but it sometimes even happens on folders with five or ten files too.

Windows Explorer can list a 10000 JPEG folder in a few seconds. Cyberduck and cURL will get a 10000-file folder listing ACROSS THE INTERNET from a remote ftp server in just a few seconds. Meanwhile, Bridge takes several minutes to read a comparable sized folder.

Bridge also reloads the entire file list if you delete or rename a file.

I can't switch to Lightroom because I rely on a bunch of JavaScripts and Image Processor Pro, and none of it works in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Users,

Copied from thread: Re: Bridge goes into “Building criteria” mode indefinitely. How does one get out of this?

We have released a fix for freeze issue in Adobe Bridge CC 2018 update (build 8.0.1.282) on 12 Dec 2017.

This update is available for download from Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Request you to install the update and let us know if it solves the problem.

Regards,

Deepak Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines