• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use the Keyword-Panel effectively?

Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the checkbox-approach used in the Keyword-Panel, It's non-modal implementation (→ no need to press "Apply" to confirm a selection of keywords), however, seems to lead to painful usage errors – likely for as long as the program exists. I found numerous threads in the forums, where users express their frustration with keyword-assignment. This post describes the problem nicely – it's exactly what I see.

The short version is: Selecting a few images and assigning a bunch of Keywords with the Keywords-Panel doesn't work properly. Bridge will erase and partly overwrite existing Keywords, throw unjustified error messages, and in nine out of ten instances stop before the assigned job is done.

As a workaround, I assign the desired keywords to a single image first (using the Keywords Panel). Then I copy them from the Metadata-Panel (which comes with a modal "Apply") to the remaining images. While this works, it is needlessly slow and clumsy.

Has anyone found a clever way to deal with the shortcomings of the Keyword-Panel or extended the Panel?

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Keywords , Metadata , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Keywords extensively and this doesn't happen. Give us details on your system- OS, hardware, what kind of files, where are they located, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. I had replied you already yesterday, but I ran into this forum bug and couldn't post...

Over the weekend, I have done some research and got Bridge to behave a little better.

My terrible keyword-experience might get caused by using hierarchical keywords in a combination of Square Brackets (Hide Parent) and Normal hierarchical keywords (without brackets). Using both normal hierarchical structures and hidden parents doesn't seem to work well (no word about this in the docs). During my research I even found a thread where you, Lumigraphics expressed your problems with hidden parents ('had to edit database manually to fix it').

This was the setup we had until recently...

[Project Root]
     [Project Main Category 1]
          Subkeyword
          Subkeyword
               Sub-Subkeyword
               Sub-Subkeyword
              50 more...

Subkeyword
          Sub-Subkeyword
          Sub-Subkeyword
          20 more...

[Project Main Category 2]
          Subkeyword
          Subkeyword
          20 more...

I have now removed all hierarchy but the three parents in brackets. I need to test further, but in my first tests I could assign keywords to more than just two or three images – and I even can change my mind later – something which made things go totally haywire before. There are still problems left though – I still very often run into pop-ups which tell me that Bridge could not assign the keyword. Upon second try (check box in Keyword Panel again) assignment usually works – but I prefer not to perform this manual clean-up every time.

Why use the square brackets?
I want to have a visible "folder" structure in the Bridge GUI so that I can collapse all keywords for the current project into just one folder. On file level, we prefer not to write hierarchical keywords. Parents should not be assignable, and we don't want their name to appear anywhere output in file metadata – parents should purely work as an organizational structure (Project-Name, File Sources, Brands...) for Editors sitting in front of Bridge.

This all may be easier understood when I explain our output goal. We are not organizing a typical collection of images. All images with this keyword-treatment are used in a single, somewhat larger web-project. In the CMS's Media Library, which by default is an unstructured basin, these keywords help us categorize assets for various output goals. When published, all Image-Metadata is removed by the CDN, as it delivers assets in the size and format the requesting Browser can chew.

If I still run into issues, I might remove the hierarchy altogether. We could group all keywords of a certain type by using a common suffix so that they were listed as groups. The only problem with a flat structure I see is that one can't minimize this list in the Bridge Keywords-Panel. Such could get in the way when working with other projects. So far, I wanted to avoid working with more than one keyword-lists, swapping them out, depending on work-context sure isn't very convenient.

As you asked... OS: Win 10, 6 Core i7 CPU, 32 GB RAM. Superfast M2 SSDs. OS got newly set up in May – it should be fine. All files are either PSD or PNG, written to local disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any more ideas how we can avoid such (frequent) Popups? Could it be, that the keywording feature generally runs more smoothly on the Mac, than on Windows? Browsing the forum history brings up quite a few similar reports – and none of them appear solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines