• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New .acr file after update

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I updated Camera raw to v14 and Bridge to v12; after editing a raw file now I obtain the usual .xmp file and a new .acr file.  The first one is hidden (as in the past), the second one is visible instead in Bridge windows (filmstrip, etc.).

Is there a new feature/option? Am I doing something wrong? In all these years I obtained only my raw+xmp files.

Thank you Luigi

TOPICS
Camera RAW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a new sidecar file to support the new ACR features like masking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer. Is there a chance to hide it in Bridge windows explorer? It is a bit disturbing. Thank you. Luigi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you convert your images to DNGs, which are container file types, both xmp and acr sidecar files will be contained. 

FWIW, I find the DNG format a big convenience and no loss of features. I've been converting my images to DNG format since ACR v. 1.

For images you've already downloaded and are on your computer, you can use the DNG converter will will duplicate your images during the DNG conversion so you can still keep your CR2s (but I have always just tossed them).

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its brand new, someone from Adobe would have to comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not from Adobe but I can say that the car sidecar carries all of the data for new Mask 2. I do not know the internal reasons why this data cannot be contained in the xmp but apparently it cannot so we now have both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another problem related to the new .acr file. When I batch rename my files, also the .xmp ones are renamed with the original raw. But instead the .acr file remains with the old name, and it seems that in this way the editing contained in the .acr file ger lost, because of the different name. And there's no way to riconnect them to the new-renamed-files (how would I??).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would report that in the ACR forum. Bridge merely hosts ACR, its a different team that develops it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my system at work (Windows 10 Pro), the .acr file is invisible and the name changes with a Batch Rename. Is the RAW file on your hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my photos are all saved in a Onedrive folder in my pc.Immagine 2021-10-28 095718.jpg  The rename function  renamed the .xmp file but not the .acr file; you can see they have the original name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You CANNOT use cloud services safely with Bridge. Use a local folder ONLY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photos kind  of automatically go to onedrive. What do you mean by local file? (Obviously not computer savvy) I do back things up on an external hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a folder not linked to OneDrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XMP is a text format. The new acr files are binary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. With Bridge version 2022 the .acr files are not showed, and it is confirmed that for every raw file you'll get a .xmp and a .acr collateral file. Sometimes it is more pratical to convert the original raw file in a dng file, as suggested, to obtain a single file.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Lumigraphics states, the two file types are different file types so the content of one cannot be written into the other which is why there have to be two different sidecar files. There will not be an acr file if you do not use the new masking tools. If you do use the new masking tools there will be an acr file for that image. And yes, if you convert your images to the DNG format, the container aspects of the DNG will contain either or both of the sidecar files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the .acr file without using masks, only when I apply a color preset presaved by me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I edit any RAM file of my Sony A1, A9II and A7III cameras with Camera Raw (latest version) and I apply a preset to that photograph, either color, it generates and saves an .acr file (171 kb) apart from the . xmp always in the folder where the photographs are, I already talked about this issue a few months ago with the upper department of Adobe and it still hasn't been solved, does anyone have a solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is none. 

Its hard wired in and the chances of it changing occur as often as pigs flying .......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cm64746914,

There's nothing to solve here. As I stated, the .acr file is for the new masking capabilities in ACR. If you do not like seeing them in your folder, convert your images to DNG format (I do all the time), and then the files will be contained within the DNG file and you won't see them.

Sorry, there's nothing more to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sir, it generates an .acr file without using masks, it is only when I apply a color and focus preset that I have saved to work faster, with CR 13 it does not happen, it is with CR 14 and I already know that the dng files They are very clean, but it is very slow to convert about 1000 photos per wedding to dng, the thing is that it does not generate more files apart from the xmp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .acr file did not show up with CR13 because the Mask feature that generates the .acr file was released with ACR 14. 

DNG files DO generate both the .xmp and .arc files but they are contained within the container files that DNG presents.

The .acr file is neither evil, bad, nor irrelevant. It's a sidecar file. It is a sidecar file that contains the data that ACR uses to retain the changes you make in a raw (or jpg or tif) file Beginning, middle, and end of report. If you do not want to see them, it's because they are CONTAINED in the file, such as JPG, TIF, or DNG.

If you are in a hurry after a 1000 photo wedding shoot, go ahead and work on the images. When you are done, you can process the images at any time to DNG and any sidecar files will be contained in the final image during the conversion process. Once the conversation is complete, you can either trash your original raw images (plus sidecar files) or store them forever.

Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I want is at most a single external file when editing a RAW, the .xmp and that's it I don't want any more files and then whoever wants to convert their photographs to DNG well fine for him, but I think that with an extra file that's it well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines