• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place In Indesign Choosing Wrong ID Version

Guide ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in an office where we are asked to use InDesign 2019 because all of the workstations aren't ready for 2020. My workstation (iMac running OS 10.13.6) downloaded 2020, and as long as I start 2019, my files all open in 2019, so no problem there. But today I discovered that when I select images in Bridge and go to Place in InDesign, it launches 2020, even though I have a file open in 2019. I tried the suggestion in this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Bridge/Bridge-2019-gt-Place-in-InDesign-2019-not-working/m-p/10398127...

…but it didn't help me. To be sure, I launched Bridge 2019 just in case I had inadvertently started Bridge 2020, but I'm sure that I can't do it from Bridge 2019 either. I could uninstall ID 2020, but I'm hoping there's a solution that I can leave it for when we do all start to use it. Any thoughts?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

I found the solution. If you go to Bridge>Preferences>File Type Associations and scroll down to InDesign, you can set the version of InDesign to (in my case) 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Migintosh,

As you state, one solution would be to remove 2020 but that's sort of like cutting your leg off becuase of a bad itch.

I believe that this is more of an OS situation rather than a Bridge condition. With the Mac OS, the default is to open the most recently installed rather than what a program suggests. Forgive me but I do not think that the ID database has been updated for 2020 and is the same for 2019 (I might be wrong in that). But one way to test this whole thing is to take a test document made in 2019 and one made in 2020 and with both versions not running, double-click on each of them independantly and see which version opens. [If they both open in their respective versions, my followup suggestion is moot.]

Now, IF both of them open up in 2020, then the way past this is to uninstall both version and then install first the 2020 and then the 2019. That makes the 2019 the most recently installed version and that "should" work.

Please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Gary, thanks for the reply. As long as I've been using Mac computers, the default behavior for opening a file where it's associated program is not running is to open the most recent version. Any file, regardless of it's version, will open in 2020 when no version of ID is running, so I don't think your first test is going to be helpful. Likewise, I don't think the order that you install versions has anything to do with what version the OS chooses, so I doubt that uninstalling both then installing 2020 then 2019 is going to help.

But I'm not sure this is necessarily an OS problem, becasue I'm not asking to open files from Bridge, but to place them into InDesign, and if ID 2019 is running, I'm not sure why Bridge is launching 2020.

But again, thanks for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Migintosh,

Dash, you did say that even if 2019 is running 2020 would open. I did read that but didn't have my brain in full gear when I was writing. 

As far as the last installed on the Mac the first to respond, that is true but as I missed, irrelavant here.

I'll keep pondering the issue and let you know if something comes up. Sorry I couldn't help you onthis round.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the solution. If you go to Bridge>Preferences>File Type Associations and scroll down to InDesign, you can set the version of InDesign to (in my case) 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines