• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Processing RAW files is painfully slow, why?

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last year I up graded to a Canon 5D mkIV and ever since I have had to battle with Bridge slowing down when adjusting and processing RAW files.

With the old mkIII files, I used to be able too select over a 100 RAW files at a time and work on them without any issues with my system slowing down, but now I cant open more than 20, before the process becomes painfully slow (30 secs for each file to resolve its self before I can work on them and then a couple seconds delay when adjusting).

The only option I have, is to restart Bridge every time after processing only ten images, which resolves the issue, but is not ideal when trying to work on 400 wedding images at a time. This of course is having a massive impact on my work flow and my time.

Currently it take my system over 2hrs to convert 200 raw files into JPEG's.

I understand the MKIV has bigger files, but the increase in files size is not proportional too the time my system is taking too process the files.

When checking my resource monitor while processing, the CPU usage never goes above 30% max (usually hovers around 10%) and the memory is never above 40%, while the GPU is never above 10%, so I feel I have plenty computing power to deal with these tasks, so why is it so painfully slow? I can only assume its a software or settings issue.

I run Windows 10 with a 7i 5820k CPU, 32GB of ram, a GTX970 GPU and I have plenty of memory space. OS and all Adobe software is up to date.

Any ideas to resolve this problem and speed up my workflow before I jump ship to CaptureOne?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too me too me too...

8 core, 32gb ram, $300 video card, ssd ,ssd drives... and waiting... what gives ???

if capture one is faster... I am heading that way... signed.. waiting right now for pictures to process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is that a couple of months ago I updated my Adode software and since then it has become painfully slow. 30 secs to open a Raw file from Camera raw in Bridge as Bridge suits my workflow, One solution for processing large batches is to do all your adjustments including dodging burning etc thru Camera Raw in Bridge then export to LR and process thru there and its half the speed. Currently on  2013 MacPro Retina SSD 256 drive running on High Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also. 10 core i9, 32gb of fast ram, GTX 1070. Bridge 2021, cache and source/target all on seperate drives.
Files are large and edits heavy, but a computer like this pulled to a near stop shouldn't be happening.

Is it the cache? I see a lot of calls to various caches in Resource Monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stopped using bridge because lightroom can better use my high powered graphics card.

my best recommendation - stop using bridge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you ever get a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines