• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Purging Adobe Bridge Cache

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACK!  Ok, so I am a photographer, not a computer person.   I'm a single middle aged mom going back to school and my minor is photography..... I am still learning all I can do in CS5....  I just recently noticed my computer slowing down and now I am getting a pop up when I launch Bridge telling me to purge the cache folder in preferences. 

First off I don't completely understand what the cache folder is or what it does.

Secondly I know enough to know not to trust all popups.... so i need to understand what I lose if I purge the system.

Third... what options do I have to fix this problem?

Any help in basic untechy simple minded mom terms would be fabulous.  I really need to understand what this cache thing is...and what problems I am going to encounter if I purge it.... and what options I have to stop the pop up but maintain integrity of my files.

thanks!!!

Jen

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Should you decide to purge the Bridge cache (and let Bridge rebuild its thumbnails and previews as other posters have described), here's how:  Edit > Preferences.  Select Cache, then at bottom of that panel click the "Purch Cache" button (text next to it reads: Purge All cached Thumbnails and Previews).

You may be able to improve performance by purging only part of the cache, not all; that is -- selectively purge folders that you no longer are actively working with.  To do this:  Edit > Cache, th

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.  In todays world a photographer means you also have to be a computer person, but believe me you can do a lot more in photoshop with a lot less effort than you can in a photo darkroom.  If you know little about computers you might want to add a class to boost your knowledge.

Cache is where all the thumbnails and metadata are stored.  If unmanaged it can occupy huge amount of space on the hard drive.  At the very least it should be compacted occasionally.  Click on edit/preferences/cache/compact cache.  This may take 10 min. or so.

You might also want to check your hard drive free space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Curt!  I am taking some CS5 classes and have taken some computer classes but they don't really get into the technical stuff.

anyway!  Hard drive free space is fine, I do check that on occasion, will compace now and see if that helps!  Thank you!

I know there isn't a class on Bridge where I am in school, wondering if I need to find one locally.  It's mind boggling....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any help in basic untechy simple minded mom terms would be fabulous.

I never have met a simple minded mom, and one who decided to go back to school could not simple minded so I leave that qualification to you, nevertheless CS5 is pretty complicated so basic untechy is not all that easy...

Without knowing what computer system you are on I give it a try.

Curt already told you that it was save to purge this cache.

The cache folder in Bridge contains data that is created by Bridge when it produced viewable thumbnails and High Quality previews, purging this data would only mean that you trash this data and have to let Bridge again build it's previews and thumbnails so you can see them again in the content and preview window. No more no less. So dumping this cache only causes you the problem of letting it run this process again.

This takes a bit time depending on amount and size of file, obvious the more files and size the longer it takes.

But be aware of the fact that it is possible Bridge Cache is not the only thing causing your computer to behave slow. Usually You should have at least 10% of free space left on your Hard Drive, this space is needed for the computer to write down temporarily files and data and the more space the quicker it will be but a minimum of 10 % is a common rule.

Also having multiple applications running and not having enough RAM (memory that applications use to store temporarily data) is also causing problems.

And to learn more besides from school try adobe TV and view some tutorials about Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Omke!  So I did compress it already and have noticed a HUGE improvement while I am working right now!

Sounds like purging it might be the way to go then just to be on the safe side.  Guessing I should purge after each big project I work on so that all the thumbnails get dumped.  And once I am done with a project, I don't really need quick access to them again (usually)... yes???

I just bought this desktop last year and I am still doing really well on the main harddrive (under 30% used at this point), plus I back up everything on Carbonite and an external hard drive.

anyway, thank you both so much for exlaining this!  I really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Omke, I also learned from you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should you decide to purge the Bridge cache (and let Bridge rebuild its thumbnails and previews as other posters have described), here's how:  Edit > Preferences.  Select Cache, then at bottom of that panel click the "Purch Cache" button (text next to it reads: Purge All cached Thumbnails and Previews).

You may be able to improve performance by purging only part of the cache, not all; that is -- selectively purge folders that you no longer are actively working with.  To do this:  Edit > Cache, then click Purge Cache for Folder "folder name".  Repeat this for as many folders as you would like.  Try this for the largest folders you're not presently working with and see if that helps performance and eliminates the Bridge popup message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is fabulous info Robert!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think Robert mistyped and meant to say Tools>Cache, at least on a windows machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I did mistype.  Thanks for catching that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

Hope you can help. I can not find the Purge Cache for Folder "folder name" button. All it shows is Purge Cache. There is no other selection available. I do have Export Cache to Folders selected if that makes a difference.

Also, when you select Compact Cache, which cache does it compact? The folder you are looking at or all caches?

Thanks, Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck_DF wrote:

Hi Robert,

Hope you can help. I can not find the Purge Cache for Folder "folder name" button. All it shows is Purge Cache. There is no other selection available. I do have Export Cache to Folders selected if that makes a difference. ...

Tools > Cache > Purge Cache For Folder "folder-name"

bridgecache.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Robert. Of course I feel like an idiot, I was looking in the Preferences not the menu bar.

As far as the other question when you select Compact Cache, which cache does it compact? The folder you are looking at or all caches?

I can't seem to find this out in the Help files.

Thanks again, Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compact cache affects all of the central cache.  It throws away all the thumbs that are no longer associated with any images.

Since you are also exporting cache to folders you also have another cache, but it is not affected by either the compact or purge cache commands in edit/preferences/cache.  THe only way to affect that cache is to use Tools/cache/purge cache for xx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Curt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to clear the cache folder, but not by purging. I have to go to some application folder and make a new cache folder cuz I think Mine is full, where do I find that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi katm1902298‌,

Here is a document created by me that will help you : Bridge Purge Cache and other General Error with using Photoshop

Regards

Jitendra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am basically trying to reorganise and simplify my picture filing in Bridge 2020 after conversion to Windows 10. The "Rename" function in Bridge 2020 did work for 1 day and then, today, is an absolute DISASTER ! ! ! ! !

What the hell have I paid for ? and why can I not contact Adobe to discuss ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines