• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restoring Keywords

New Here ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of a way to create a new Keyword list using previously tagged photos??

I am just recovering from a catastrophic full system failure.  All my photo files where on another Cloud HDD.

Is there a way to recover all the keywords off those files and bring them into Bridge 2019.

I utilize Windows 10 OS.

I have reinstalled all my CC programs.  Bridge can see all the previously applied keywords.  However I don't have a text file to import from and Adobe clearly does not have an option for creating a new list by importing the info already added to the individual files.

I'm not all that computer savvy about outside programs that may be able to strip that info and then create a text file to be able to import it.

Anyone that can lend some great step by step procedures on how to, or even if it is possible would be greatly appreciated.

ShamusJN

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Yes you can recover most/all keywords from the files, I have a blogpost about this, however an overly aggressive blogger robot has taken down my site and I am impatiently waiting for access to hopefully be restored. I'll see if I can dig up any posts that I made about it on these forums. This can be done, but you may not find it "easy".

EDIT: The basic process is to use ExifTool or a Bridge Script to export all of the image file's keywords to text file, then format the text file for importing bac

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can recover most/all keywords from the files, I have a blogpost about this, however an overly aggressive blogger robot has taken down my site and I am impatiently waiting for access to hopefully be restored. I'll see if I can dig up any posts that I made about it on these forums. This can be done, but you may not find it "easy".

EDIT: The basic process is to use ExifTool or a Bridge Script to export all of the image file's keywords to text file, then format the text file for importing back into Bridge.

How much work this will take to clean up and prepare the exported keyword data will depend on whether you were using simple flat keywords, parent/sub-keywords and or hierarchical keywords. The process is relatively easy using a spreadsheet and or regular expression text editors. I am happy to help where possible.

Exporting Bridge metadata to Excel or CSV

Re: Can you import metadata from an excel database to images (JPG, PSD, TIF) in bulk?

Re: changing UPPER to lowercase keywords in Bridge or Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for the reply and info.

Way too in depth for me to try.

You'd think that Adobe would be able to build in this capability to always be able to see and use keywords without it having to be some stand alone file in a hidden directory and not having it as an auto import feature for every new version.

Bridge, Lightroom, Photoshop should all just automatically read and use previously entered Keywords without the users having to go though this.

Again, thanks for the reply and info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, the offer still stands if you wish to rebuild your keywords file. I'm sure that you would then get in the habit of exporting out backup .TXT file copies and or backing up the underlying .XML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Same here. Considering abandoning Bridge for another program for THIS reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are two easy ways, actually.

One is simply select all of the keyworded files in Bridge, then make all of the listed Keywords persistent.

The other is to use my Keyword Capture script, part of my Utility Script Pack. The latest developmental version is on Dropbox.

Utility Script Pack for Bridge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking about adding some backup and restore operations to my Utility Script Pack (version 2 is still in development.) I have a Folder List Export script which can read a folder and export a file listing including keywords. I could probably modify that to read keywords from files and add them to Bridge.

My time for software development is VERY limited right now but its on the table at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines