• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnail Generation Again: Still far too slow.

Participant ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a problem for ages now, and despite trying everything suggested I can not seem to get Bridge set up to actually load a thumbnails for any folder of images in anything remotely resembling a timely fashion. This is a HUGE time suck when I'm trying to get anything done. Just now, I went back and reinstalled the last V10 of Bridge which had been working fine when I last used it. However, it now runs just as poorly as all the more recent versions.

EXAMPLE:

I click on a folder that contains image files. Bridge displays blank tiles, then ever so slowly a new thumbnail appears. I can wait between 4 seconds and 30 seconds for each new thumbnail to load. A folder of 1,000 files is basically impossible to look through unless I go and get a cup of coffee and come back an hour later. Sixty minutes of waiting for this piece of software to generate smaller than postage stamp size thumbnails. How is this a professional piece of software if it cannot do its most basic task in anything resembling a timely fashion? 

The latest version which I tried to use was just as bad, now that I've backed up to the last version that did work well I am stuck with lousy performance. This has been going on for far too long, each update completely ignores this problem, which I see many people also have, in fact, a friend who had never had this problem called me yesterday to report now he can't load thumbnails from certain folders. simply changing the name of the folder will allow them to load without incident. This is maddening. 

QUESTION:

Is there any means to have thumbnails load like they used to? I used to be able to scroll through a cards worth of thumbnails in a mere minute tops, but now, in the time I've been writing this I still have not gotten this folder of images I need to work with to get even halfway through thumbnail generation.

DETAILS:

Bridge V.11.x: EVERY single version I have tried performs as above.

Bridge V10.1.X Had been working fine pre-update, but after downgrading back it now cannot manage to work as it used to.

Currently installed: V10.1.1.116

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch 2019)

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 

64GB 2667 MHz DDR4

I'm really getting to the end of my rope here with the amount of downtime required to use Bridge.

REQUEST:

Would it be possible to have thumbnail generation be improved in the next update? Rather than coming up with some new feature would it be possible to simply fix this terrible performance?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20 minutes later and still waiting on thumbnails. You begin to see my problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 10.44.46 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact issue for, can we please get this fixed? Makes the program totally unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found v9 ver slow actually found v10 better but v11 is now even worse than it was.
On main PC though - seems to be Ok on my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just uninstalled v11 and rebooted
Then:

- installed v10
- installed v11

BOTH are way faster than before!
Now a useable speed (Before v11 would show "collecting criteria" or similar in filter window event on a folder with 5 images, including if it had just done it 5 min ago and content unchanged)

Don't know if this makes any difference but I:
on v10 install I declined enabling photoshot2021 plugin
on v11 - accepted importing setting from older version, but declined uninstalling older version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest solution is to use ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate. I'm not connected with ACDSee other than as a user, but every time I try to switch over to Bridge (or Lightroom, for that matter), I last a couple hours and go back. It plays well with Photoshop too, if you aren't keen on the ACDSee editing kit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  Adobe Bridge used to be really useful; now I end up staring at a blank thumbnail screen for so long it's unusable.  Nothing seems to refresh for ages after an edit to an image.

Adobe have long ago moved to a subscription service so we are, in theory, getting the latest version of the software with all the latest features.  So why on earth has it become so slow and cumbersome?  Is it now full of bloatware that slows it down?

Get it sorted Adobe or I'll be spending my money elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just tested my bridge 1.05 minuts to load thumnails

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jimo66 , @robtmccann , @johnkennan , @Laskarin 

Hope you're doing well! Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear about the issue.

Could you please share the following details with us:

1. Bridge version in use.

2. System configuration.

3. Files/formats on which the issue is observed.

4. Thumbnail quality & Preview generation settings.

Please share the sample files on which you are observing the issue at sharewithbr@adobe.com 

Also, could you please try setting the preview generation options to the following and let us know if you still face the issue?

AnishaGupta_0-1642154900368.png

Thanks,

Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nearly a year later? Seriously? Eleven months to wait for someone from Adobe to respond? I've stopped making photographs entirely in the last year. The pathetic quality of Adobe products is partly the reason. My frustrations with the software were never addressed in anything close to a timely or simple fashion. I still subscribe for I must still do some things for clients I hold images for, but just offloaded all of one clients files to them and told them I am done, hoping to do this with the rest asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My god, it was so long ago that I complained that I can't remember the
details. After this long, why has Adobe even bothered to respond? I know
you are just an employee, but man, management needs to do one helluva
lot better. Due to its inadequacies I have stopped using Bridge and have
found other apps that do the job faster and better.

Daniel

--
D. L. Laskarin (he/him)
Professor, Department of Visual Arts
University of Victoria

email: Laskarin@uvic.ca
tel: 250.217.0442

I acknowledge with respect the Lekwungen peoples on whose traditional territory the University of Victoria stands, and the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge is probably the slowest program I've ever encountered anywhere. It's bizar how they didn't fix this ages ago. WHY?? Are they actively trying to scare away customers?   

I also think Adobe software messes with windows because after installing Adobe, windows file explorer suddenly doesn't display proper thumbnails anymore. No matter what I do to try and fix it.

Isn't bridge supposed to be the program that acts like a "bridge" between their other programs? Right now it's acting like the chinese wall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suspicion is that Adobe doesn't want to support both Bridge and LR.  One has to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would be stupid of them to not keep bridge and make it work properly and better then file explorer since Microsoft still doesnt allow thumbnails to be shown of psd files by any windows app. That's why we need bridge still.

They should be vamping bridge up like it's the main float in a carnaval parade. But no... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines