• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails continually rebuilding

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an update for ACR (CS6) today and installed it. Suddenly, EVERY time I open Bridge or return to it from another page, it starts thumbnailing my images from scratch. We're talking hundreds of images in this folder. This is new. It did not do this yesterday. What is going on and how do I fix it.  If I leave bridge (even if it's still open) and I go back to Bridge, it starts doing the thumbnail extractions all over again and THEN starts on the full size extractions all over again. The result is that all of Photoshop has slowed to a crawl. This is the second time in a month that an update has caused new problems that did not exist before. It's beyond frustrating.

that's cute. I just sat through 10 minutes of full size extractions counting down. it got to zero and STARTED AGAIN. Okay, guys, what's going on? I have 50 gb of images from Asia I need to process. I truly don't have time for this. And the thumbnail extractions just started over again.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 576 Replies 576
Mentor ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omke Oudeman wrote:

Normal workflow is not showing this problem but I use DNG and I use lens correction every now and then but never rotate and crop in ACR. So if the problem is to find there you can easily test yourself if not using this steps in a new fresh folder (without hidden exported cache files and no previous written XMP files) does not regenerate thumbs.

Normal worklow? It's normal for me, matey!

What's normal? Until last week, it was normal for me to correct verticals and convergence and crop for best composition on many of my photos. I like to be able to work on images from Bridge, and come back to them later, viewing near-finished full screen previews before shortlisting.

I use Bridge/ACR for 90% of my imaging, so it makes sense for me to get as close to the finished thing as possible, including correcting distortion, perspective and composition (read Cropping). I am now having to adjust my workflow because of these bugs, as well as stop at ACR 7.2 to avoid the newer bug. Now my Bridge Content panel is full of unfinished images with weird edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now my Bridge Content panel is full of unfinished images with weird edges.

Hence I call my workflow normal…

But seriously, I did forget to mention 'my' in front of normal workflow. So many users, so many workflows!

Glad Steve is looking in this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!! It's fixed. At least for now.
I just signed up and downloaded the single app photoshop cc and my bridge regeneration is...GONE.

I opened Bridge and clicked on a couple of folders. It did the standard generation ... and stopped.

Okay, crazy theory #275 (or whatever). Somehow in Bridge it had been set to create 100% previews in my CS6. I unclicked it. It was not clicked in CC Do you think...????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

OMG!!! It's fixed. At least for now.
I just signed up and downloaded the single app photoshop cc and my bridge regeneration is...GONE.

I opened Bridge and clicked on a couple of folders. It did the standard generation ... and stopped.

Okay, crazy theory #275 (or whatever). Somehow in Bridge it had been set to create 100% previews in my CS6. I unclicked it. It was not clicked in CC Do you think...????

Seems unlikely to have been Generate 100% Previews in CS6.  I have experienced the problem in CS6 with 100% previews unchecked, and I would guess that SG's Bridge CC test (post 483) likely did not have Generate 100% Previews checked. .

You could readily test this:  Check Generate 100% Previews in your Bridge CC, try a few folders and see.what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Un, no thanks. All is working right now. I don't want to anger the adobe gods.

Meanwhile,  One odd quirk, which I can live with. All raw images that were created/worked on in CS6 now show up in CC's bridge 'camera calibration' 'process' as having been processed under the 2010 parameters with that little icon on the lower right. If I click on that, it then brightens the image and says 2012. These were images processed as '2012,' not 2010. Strange.

Thought you all should know. It isn't a serious problem for me since these images are history. As an experiment, I created a new folder within the main folder with the 'old'  images and when opened in raw, they were labeled as 2012.

Okay, it just got crazier. On my D drive which is non SSD the raw images all say 2010. On my SSD drive, they come up as they should...2012. Since the SSD drive is where I do all my initial work, the problem on my D drive is honestly a non issue.

Btw, I have absolutely no idea how 'generate 100% previews' got checked in my CS6. But it was not checked as default in CC. Interestingly, fyi everyone, though I told CC to preserve my preferences, it did not. It did, thankfully, import all my home made actions, however. The rest was easier to recreate than I expected.

cautious yay from my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is for anyone on this forum who has photoshop CC:

My CC says raw 8.0. I am not sure if that is the latest update but I am deliriously happy with things as they are. When updates come through for CC, do we get a prompt and an option to not do the update as I now get for Photoshop cs6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No prompt.  You still have to click Help/updates to see what is available and decide if you want to update.

Beleive CC also comes with CS6?  Or is that only if you had CS6 Cloud before.  Anyways, have you run ACR 8.1 and CS6 to see how the files respond?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc comes with the next version...I am calling it cs7 in my head. but it's essentially cs6. I don't want to touch my old version of cs6 as a safeguard. cc only has 8.0 for the moment I think. updates are on the way, I understand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC is the upgrade from CS6 (version 13.x)  So it is version 14.x and you can check this in Help/About PS.  I think it should be 14.1.  Check updates in Help/Updates.

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) is a plugin to view raw files.  In CS6 that was ACR 7.x.  In CC it is 8.x.  So don't confuse the PS version with ACR version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Ps CC == 14.0 (there is no 14.1 yet)

Bridge CC == 6.0 (separate install now)

ACR 8.0 == default install with Ps CC

ACR 8.1 (avail. now) is comaptible with both Ps/Br CC and Ps/Br CS6

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/camera-raw-8-1-and-dng-converter-8-1-now-available.h...

Ps CS6 subscription (Creative Cloud) == 13.1

Ps CS6 perpetual == 13.0

Bridge CS6 == 5.0

ACR (CS6 only) == 7.x

Ps CS6 subscription is not replaced by Ps CC

Clear as mud, no? 😉

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, at least the initials changed fron CS to CC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this is a bit OT but since SG is reading, I'm getting Bridge crashes on a sporatic but frequent enough basis to be concerned:

Faulting application name: Bridge.exe, version: 6.0.0.151, time stamp: 0x517794eb

Faulting module name: Bridge.exe, version: 6.0.0.151, time stamp: 0x517794eb

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000349209

Faulting process id: 0x1ca4

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce72ede628791d

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC (64 Bit)\Bridge.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC (64 Bit)\Bridge.exe

Report Id: ec1908bc-dee1-11e2-8124-002618e82977

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you can narrow it down to reproducible steps, that would be greatly appreciated. SInce you're on Win, the breadcrumbs are not as fruitful. Can you tell if it occurs when browsing to new directories (parsing files for the first time for thumbnails and metadata)? Or does it happen when you're calling commands (Batch Rename, Slideshow, etc.)?

In my past experience, sporadic crashing often meant browsing to uncommon formats or corrupt files, or hitting race conditions that are hard to repeat.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

cc only has 8.0 for the moment I think. updates are on the way, I understand

Just to explain: Camera Raw is under constant development, with a 3–4 month turnaround. They do this because they want to support new camera Raw formats as soon as possible. They often release beta versions through the Labs website in advance for those who want to get it even sooner. Consequently, Camera Raw 8.1 was available BEFORE 8.0. Yes, that's correct. As it takes the Adobe machine time to bring stuff to market, the Camera Raw team were already on with the new version before CC shipped. CC was already several months old before the store opened.

Unlike previous versions, Camera Raw 8 is designed to work with Bridge CS6 AND Bridge CC, as the two products co-exist. There is a slight difference, in that its new features are restricted in CS6, much like the non-Basic settings were restricted in Photoshop Elements. I'm not even sure what the new features are, as I haven't been following CC, but I think the Upright tool is one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add some clear mud to…

Adobe Creative Cloud is the collective name for the set, or the way they present their products.

The cloud version of CS6 was installed by the Adobe Application Manager (AAM) and for CC (CreativeCloud) version they replaced AAM and CC now is managed by an app called ACC, Adobe Creative Cloud (…).

With this application you install all your wanted apps on your system and if you wish also different language versions of your CC applications. (see the gear icon for prefs)

ACC is also used for updating the CC applications, in fact it should warn you if updates are available. As Steve pointed out ACR 8.0 is the default version upon install. For some reason ( don't know what but understood it is not easy to do otherwise) Adobe has not all latest versions available for default installation so after install you should always run the updater, in your case the ACR plug in would/should automatically be updated to version 8.1as the latest available version using updater.

Now surely you will understand it even better, don't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

This last time, Bridge was simply running but minimized. IIRC, I was actually on line returning some e-mails and when I finished and exited e-mail, there was a message about Bridge encountering a problem etc from MS. I also was having a problem with FireFox closed but still running which I cleared in Processes.

I have other problems showing up as well, including PSCC not liking my video drivers for certain filters any more. Seems systemic, I fear, but I thought I would take a flyer here and see if you saw something I didn't.

So far it's running all night, in the background.

Maybe it's the planets retrograde!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a question that goes back to the bridge bug. Let's say you have Raw 8.0 and you update to 8.1 and a bug crops up (as it did going from 7.2 to 7.3).  In that case, reverting back to 7.2 required replacing the .8bi file for 7.3 with the one for 7.2 on your computer. Does it work the same if you want to revert from, say, 8.1 back to 8.0 (or some future version of '8.something' back a couple of steps? In other words, does it take replacing that .8bi file?  In light of all this, I am curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

Here's a question that goes back to the bridge bug. Let's say you have Raw 8.0 and you update to 8.1 and a bug crops up (as it did going from 7.2 to 7.3).  In that case, reverting back to 7.2 required replacing the .8bi file for 7.3 with the one for 7.2 on your computer. Does it work the same if you want to revert from, say, 8.1 back to 8.0 (or some future version of '8.something' back a couple of steps? In other words, does it take replacing that .8bi file?  In light of all this, I am curious.

I already tried this when 8.1 came out. It installs into the same location as 7.x on CS6, so my CRSWAP scripts work as before.

CC may be different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I was referring to CC. Maybe Steve has an answer. Meanwhile, where did you locate the old .8bi file once you had updated to 8.1. Had you copied it to another folder before updating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

Actually, I was referring to CC. Maybe Steve has an answer. Meanwhile, where did you locate the old .8bi file once you had updated to 8.1. Had you copied it to another folder before updating?

Pay attention at the back! That's what the scripts are for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, it's really early here and we didn't sleep much last night. of course i do know where the .8bi file resides, at least I do in CS6.   I was wondering if it's diffrent in cc. Later, with mucho coffee, I will look in cc. now it's off to a way too early appointment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .8bi files for Camera Raw in CC are in the same place as CS6:

The 64-bit .8bi file is in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

The 32-bit .8bi file is in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

This and more detail was posted by Robert Shomler (posting 179) on march 20 of this year. And, of course, there are Yammer's scripts, post 249 on April 8.

I have already created a 'save' folder elsewhere on my computer with the .8bi files for Raw 8.0. Steve had said he saw the regeneration problem with images I had sent him for testing on 8.1 with CC. When I downloaded CC yesterday, I got raw 8.0 because 8.1 wasn't available yet for CC (though it does show up in the updater application today). I think I will leave things where they are for the present since it all seems to be working and consider an update sometime down the line if I need it. Right now, I am so happy bridge is working for me, I don't intend to change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

The .8bi files for Camera Raw in CC are in the same place as CS6:

The 64-bit .8bi file is in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

The 32-bit .8bi file is in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats

That's not the "same place" at all. See if you can spot the difference...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Splitting hairs Yammer.

The same place on the tree for each app, obviously.

Of course, neither can you step in the same water each time you cross a stream at the same place.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you tell the computer it's in the same place, it would disagree too. Similar, granted, but not the same. My scripts wouldn't work with it. Yvette had a tough enough time rolling back the first time without getting the wrong end of the stick this time. Just being clear, that's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines