• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails continually rebuilding

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an update for ACR (CS6) today and installed it. Suddenly, EVERY time I open Bridge or return to it from another page, it starts thumbnailing my images from scratch. We're talking hundreds of images in this folder. This is new. It did not do this yesterday. What is going on and how do I fix it.  If I leave bridge (even if it's still open) and I go back to Bridge, it starts doing the thumbnail extractions all over again and THEN starts on the full size extractions all over again. The result is that all of Photoshop has slowed to a crawl. This is the second time in a month that an update has caused new problems that did not exist before. It's beyond frustrating.

that's cute. I just sat through 10 minutes of full size extractions counting down. it got to zero and STARTED AGAIN. Okay, guys, what's going on? I have 50 gb of images from Asia I need to process. I truly don't have time for this. And the thumbnail extractions just started over again.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 576 Replies 576
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to rename the 1002 or 1003 to Camera Raw.8bi, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It needs a file extension, for sure. I suppose that the name can be anything so long as the extension is correct. I was half expecting the unzip to rename it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Noel's text:

"Then open it in Windows Explorer, and traverse the internal structure (opening nested zip files) until you find a file named 1002.  Copy that to the 64 bit location I identified above as Camera Raw.8bi_7.2, then you'll have it available to copy to Camera Raw.8bi whenever you want a copy of 7.2."

Notice it does not say to rename it. Now I was attempting to see whether a person like ycardozo could indeed handle it straight from the instructions. My experience with coders is they know the routines needed and write as if only the unique parts of the operation needs to be communicated.

Obviously, it can't.

Left to my devices, I might have tried to rename it and see if it runs. The caveat here is what if it doesn't and leaves some crap behind if you uninsall it, because renaming was the wrong thing to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

Left to my devices, I might have tried to rename it and see if it runs. The caveat here is what if it doesn't and leaves some crap behind if you uninsall it, because renaming was the wrong thing to do.

I renamed it  Camera Raw.8bi and copied it into its Program Files/Common Files location (after copying and saving the 7.3 version), also the 1003 file on a 32-bit system.  So far they both run as expected  for the operations I've tried.  Still could encounter a problem or anomaly, in which case I'd restore the 7.3 Camera Raw.8bi. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

From Noel's text:

"Then open it in Windows Explorer, and traverse the internal structure (opening nested zip files) until you find a file named 1002.  Copy that to the 64 bit location I identified above as Camera Raw.8bi_7.2, then you'll have it available to copy to Camera Raw.8bi whenever you want a copy of 7.2."

Notice it does not say to rename it...

As phrased, I construe that unambiguously to imply that it is neccessarily renamed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks station_two - I thought so too, and even added the bolding to help folks see the connection.  I suppose I should have tried to write it as a sequence of instructions even a machine could follow.  That's what I do as a profession anyway.   Problem is, not everyone executes the same instruction set. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read it from the perspective of a person unfamiliar with such a technique (I for one, was surprised when I found out a few years ago, that renaming was legit. On my own, when I lost a file association. When I did it, I was warned about renaming but I tried it anyway) renaming is not likely to occur. Machines do follow exact instructions, or the lack thereof.

And I was reading it from that perspective. As I said, left to my devices I would have appended the extension but likely have left the number as the name, at least at first.

Adobe never supplies such information, as a download with no extension. You folks are reading into the file because you know it.

Ambiguous: Unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not been made.

What alternatives are present in the written instructions?

Let's go on.

First of all, the entire file as downloaded, is zipped. Unzipping Setup.zip  provides a Patch Installer. Why not use that? It's the procedure that is normally followed.

Second, so we go on and enter payloads instead. What do we find? Eight entries, three of which, to the TRAINED eye are the ones to which to pay attention. Which one? Open each and look. Hmmm, nine entries. Looks like Assets are of interest here to the trained eye. Two assets. Again I would pick the zipped file because I suspect it to be the correct one. (I don't know the extension .sig). Choose Assets1_1.zip. What do I find? No unzip function so click it. Ah! 1003. But wait. All it says is "File" no extension. Searching, I find "Extract all Files" again. Click it. Now it is extracted,; we know that only because the file has grown in size (again the clueless will miss that) but nothing else is changed. No extension.

So here is where I would start to play...maybe. Remember the Patch Installer? Now here is the ambiguity! What do I do, the Patch Installer or rename a file isolated several steps down the line?

And how would I know this unless I am experienced in this process? I still, at this point do not know which path to follow myself . If I use the patch does the current 7.3 get uninstalled and 7.2 installed? Will I get a warning that I am going backwards in history to an older version?

My guess is not to use the installer, because you didn't indicate that as the proper procedure. But can't you see, as I unravel this step by step that it is a minefield for the uninitiated?

Lawrence

Message was edited by: Hudechrome for typos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is a lot of context one needs to be aware of when trying to work around the ways Adobe wants you to do things.

For one, installers almost universally won't DOWNgrade a later version.  Thus using the installer to go from 7.1 to 7.2 works fine.  Trying to use it to go from 7.3 to 7.2 results in nothing useful.

What I posted is a way to get a copy of the old Camera Raw plug-in files.  Yes, it requires some basic technical thinking and care.

I didn't go into detail about how to navigate the zip file set because different people have different systems, different zip applications, and settings.  Suffice it to say I expected you to poke around long enough to find the big files within named 1002 and 1003. 

The way Windows 7 Explorer works, you can just double-click the folders and zip files embedded within to reveal their contents.  Use the "back" button if you get to a leaf and don't find the file you're looking for.  No need to "extract all".

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, Noel, I don't need 7.2 at least at this time. I did this little exercise to look at what ycardozo in #38 saw as intimidating. I was where he is once.

I was interested in how you acquired the files and store them in File Formats. Up to now, if I want and got them manually (not using the Update) I stored them in my D/L folder, moved the current version to Desktop and installed the update from the D/L folder. If I didn't like the new version, the old was there to replace it. This is the procedure for Prefs; only one file installed.

Now, updates are delivered by notification, the Installer managing the whole operation. The older version disappears.

So, even though I did this to look at it from a relative newbie, I do find it of value to know what I can do if I run into problems with specific updates. All of us who have problems with specific parts of 13.1 would love to just roll back their problematic functions to something earlier. I for one would act in an instant to keep 13 but roll back the Crop tool to 12!

So far as unzip, it did not work as usual. Double clicking Setup.zip (horrible name! Setup for what? Adobe something!) only opened the folder, the PatchInstaller was still zipped.

Finally, since there is a PatchInstaller, what would I find in File Formats folder after running the Patchinstaller? 1002.8bi? Or Camera Raw.8bi? Just 1002?

There are people who know these answers cold. I'm not one of them, but I do know that, with such a backlog of unanswered questions, proceeding is rather stupid. "Test it in battle!" is fine for a TV program or maybe in actual war. But not for me.

L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever it's worth to you all, when I started hunting around in Noel's link, I could barely unzip a zipped file. I had to figure that out first. If you realize that, you will realize that the rest of it was so far above me as to make the entire exercise quite dangerous. Thank you all for your comments. In another life (and believe me, I've learned the hard way not to experiment) I would have simply tried replacing the present 8bi file with the 1002. God knows what would have happened. Renaming it would have never, ever occurred to me. I am not a tech person. I did not grow up with computers. I still take notes in Greg shorthand. I was working for daily newspapers when carbon copies were ripped from my typewriter as we neared deadline. Somewhere along the way, I transitioned from reporter to photographer. None....absolutely none of this is natural or intuitive to me. All I know is that I got caught in the unintended consequences of a problematic upgrade. 

I would love to know what you all find out. Is the problem ALL of the metadata, part of it, ANYthing you do in acr? Is it confined to canon raw files or those of any camera.

Again, thks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry for being ambiguous.  It's hard to know what's obvious to some and opaque to others with regard to computers.  I'm willing to admit that with 36 years computer/software experience I just know how things are supposed to work and I've developed ways of thinking that are not typical.

The intent is for you to do the following:

• Dig into the zip file set to find the multimegabyte file 1002
  • Copy 1002 to the 64 bit plug-in folder
  • Rename 1002 to Camera Raw.8bi_7.2
  • Assuming you've already updated to 7.3, in the 64 bit folder copy Camera Raw.8bi to Camera Raw.8bi_7.3

• Dig into the zip file set to find the multimegabyte file 1003
  • Copy 1003 to the 32 bit plug-in folder
  • Rename 1003 to Camera Raw.8bi_7.2
  • Assuming you've already updated to 7.3, in the 32 bit folder copy Camera Raw.8bi to Camera Raw.8bi_7.3

Now you're poised and ready to do one of these things:

To test Camera Raw 7.2:

• Close Photoshop
  • In the 64 bit folder copy Camera Raw.8bi_7.2 to Camera Raw.8bi
  • In the 32 bit folder copy Camera Raw.8bi_7.2 to Camera Raw.8bi
  • Open a raw file with Photoshop.  It will use Camera Raw.8bi, which you just copied.

To test Camera Raw 7.3:

• Close Photoshop
  • In the 64 bit folder copy Camera Raw.8bi_7.3 to Camera Raw.8bi
  • In the 32 bit folder copy Camera Raw.8bi_7.3 to Camera Raw.8bi
  • Open a raw file with Photoshop. It will use Camera Raw.8bi, which you just copied.

When someday they release 7.4 you will copy the Camera Raw.8bi they install to Camera Raw.8bi_7.4 in each folder, then you'll always have the option of testing any of the three different versions by going through a copy process to replace your working copy of Camera Raw.8bi with the version of your choice..

See the pattern?

If these instructions still leave you flat, then perhaps the best thing is just not to try doing things at this level.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the details. I see it isn't as simple as just renaming the 1002 to Camera Raw.8bi, but Camera Raw.8bi_7.2.

Concerning "Assuming you've already updated to 7.3, in the 64 bit folder copy Camera Raw.8bi to Camera Raw.8bi_7.3":

Since this already exists in the File Formats folder as Camera Raw.8bi, I would think that I would append _7.3 to the existing file. I don't have it to copy from anywhere else. And when 7.4 comes out, to append 7.4 to that file.

I certainly don't have any problems doing this task, but problems with trying to do it with inadequate information.

Looking back, I see you say to copy to the Plug-in folder not to Plug-Ins>CS6>File Formats. Is that right? If so, I do understand it to be:

Copy current Camera Raw.8bi from the File Formats folder to Plug-Ins and rename it. I also would assume that the file in File Formats might have to be deleted. Something needs to take precedence.

It's easy to get way off base, as I found out once trying to make a command Prompt work from hand written instructions. Was that a mess, getting folks rather PO"d! Missed deadline etc.

L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave the specific locations explicitly.  But that was on an earlier page - here they are again:

64 bit Camera Raw Plug-in Folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

32 bit Camera Raw Plug-in Folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

In my English descriptions the term "plug-in folder" refers to the places listed above, as in "the folder in which Camera Raw plug-ins are stored".

If you're still unsure about any part of this at this point, please just refrain from fooling with the files.  I really don't want anyone to end up with a messed-up Camera Raw installation.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did everything exactly as instructed. I already knew where the 8bi files lived. Reverting from 7.3 to 7.2 did not solve the problem for me, tho the program is still running fine, meaning it functions but still recalibrates. I did see that you specified renaming the files Camera Raw 8bi_7.2 (or 3 or 4, etc). Does that make a difference? I did not rename the files but have folders elsewhere with copies and, of course, can tell by the date.

And as before, what triggers all of this is a metadata folder. No metadata (.xmp) folder, no problem, but that would not work if you wanted to do any adjustments or add informatioin, obviously.

I went back, made sure photoshop and bridge were closed and copied the 7.2 files into the proper places (both 64 bit and 32 bit)... again. still doesn't solve the problem. I have not tried rebooting the computer. I truly need to get some work done so I will turn all off at the end of the day and see what happens tomorrow.

remember, humanoids took 200,000 years to progress from simple throwing sticks to jointed throwing spears.  hmmmm........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

I did not rename the files but have folders elsewhere with copies and, of course, can tell by the date.

That's perfectly fine, just as long as you can keep the files straight.  I just keep the alternative files in the same folder, named by the version number, as I find that convenient.

Sorry to hear version 7.2 didn't fix the issue you're seeing.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so the renaming (meaning adding the version...ie _7.2 or _7.3, etc) is simply for convenience? It does not (and I would think should not) make a difference in the function of the file? 

So that leaves me with one final question...does this continual recalibration of the folder damage the program in any way? the program functions seem to be unaffected. I can make adjustments, work on information in the metadata and open images from bridge just fine.

at the moment, for reasons i can't explain, the program has taken a siesta. it has quit recalibrating. i will try closing bridge and reopening it.

sigh, the siesta lasted as long as i didn't close bridge. so much for that wishful thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you're describing re renaming or not.  When you copied the Camera Raw 8bi_7.2 to your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats folder (assuming 64-bit), did you rename the 7.2 file to Camera Raw.8bi ?  (This would have replaced/overwritten the 7.3 8bi there.)

Test which camera raw version is active:  Open a file in camera raw. click on the camera raw preferences icon (third from right .. to the left of the rotate image icons).  If you have successfully copied the 7.2 8bi  - replacing 7.3 8b1 - the top of the camera raw preferences should display Version 7.2.0.46.  If it displays 7.3... then you did not revert to 7.2.

If you're seeing recaching problem with 7.2 you've opened a whole new problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What acr version is displayed when you look at Camera Raw preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I followed the instructions exactly. The files WERE renamed to Camera Raw.8bi.  I even checked to make sure that the two words were capitalized. I copied the correct file into the correct folder. The folders (I copied the 64 bit file into the 64 bit file formats folder and the 32 bit file into the 32 bit file formats folder),the 'new' files  showed up as the 7.2 version (meaning dated sept. 19).    Since the lst time around, I had not closed bridge, I went back, closed bridge (and photoshop) and recopied the files again.  But still, it apparently DID NOT over write the file. When I checked an image in camera raw preferences as you suggested by clicking on the preferences icon (three horizontal lines) it indeed says 7.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so why isn't it 'taking?' the correct file is in the correct folder. i also tried rebooting my computer.  yes, the 8bi files were named correctly. yes they went into the right folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have more than one CR plug-in file with .8bi extension in the folder or nearby folder at the same time? Only one of the files can have an extension of .8bi, any others need a different extension which Noel suggested be the version number like .7_2 extension so you can tell which is which.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no. i have two completely separate 'program files' folders. one is 32 bit, one is 64 bit. each has the sequence...program files\common files\adobe\plug-ins\CS6\file formats.  There is only one .8bi file in each of the file formats folders.  my lst time around, all i replaced was the 64 bit. when that didn't work, i then replaced the .8bi file in the 32 bit folder. like i said, they are completely separate files under c. one is 'program files,' the other is 'program files (x86).  I am told the x86 program files folder is the 32 bit folder and the one w/o x86 is the 64 bit folder.

according to noel, adding _7.2 or _7.3 is simply a convenience to tell them apart. but i have a separate folder for each (in a completely different place)  and know which is where.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, is anything being damaged by this constant recaculating or whatever it should be called. the program appears to be working, just the raw files with metadata sidecars keep recalculating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about this but I have been unable to latch on to the 7d to run the test. Hopefully tomorrow, although a big storm is heading this way. May have power outages.

As to the various versions of RAW 7.xx, and reading over all the thread to this point, what finally showed up is that appending _7.xx to the file makes it unavailable to ACR, until _7.xx is removed, and the current RAW is renamed or removed. By storing each file in it's own folder, the need for renaming is removed and conflicts over which file to use eliminated.

So it's not unlike renaming the file Camera RAW.8bi to ~Camera RAW.8bi. I didn't get that at first.

Camera RAW.8bi_7.2 is classified as extension .2, not .8bi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replaced the 7.3 folders ... In other words did a "copy and replace" 

Meanwhile what do you mean by  camera raw.8bi_7.2  is a .2 extension?  The original file is simply camera raw.8bi.  It does not have any numbers after it.  Noel..what is your take on this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines