Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save the metadata when file is on a NAS

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Using Bridge 9.0.2.219 and (as fa as I know we were able to edit the metadata of JPG files when they were stored on our Synology DS414 NAS.

This stops working.

The permissions on the Shared Folder on the NAS are read/write

The permissions on the files are Read/Write

I am able to save new files on the NAS (or overwrite existing ones).

Just when we want to edit the MetaData, a modal comes up with "Something went wrong when saving the metadata to the file" (Translated from Dutch).

Is a solution known?

HTH

Best Wishes,

Adri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This caused by a bug in the most recent Camera RAW. However, Adobe does not support working off network storage, only local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. However isn't it weird that network storage is not supported while a lot of agencies are working with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been in both design and IT for a long time. I ALWAYS recommend working locally unless using software that is written for network use. Networks vary too much for Adobe to support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exact the same problem but I am using Time Capsule HD for storage of my archived photo's ... I was always able to add star ratings and other metadata to my images there, until a couple of weeks ago ... Workaround now is to copy an entire 120GB+ to my desktop HD ... This is off course not the solution, since this takes usually hours ... Any other external HD does not has this issue ... Since this seems to be a Camera RAW bug, why doesn't ADOBE fix that damn bug??

btw: I also not able to use the update function in Bridge; said something very odd about internet connections that don't work ... The do work ... Is this also a camera RAW bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's really hope Adobe will fix this soon. It's annoying.

Of course we can (in a way) manage by copying everything to our local machines but: Hé Adobe, we are living in the CLoud!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lumigraphics . As a was CEO and responsible for the IT in my medium-large advertising agency I can only say that it has always worked before. We had a dozen workstations connected to an xServe and it always worked flawlessly. So, maybe there is in the official specs the recommendation of working only local. With the release of Creative Cloud those remarks are totally obsolete. WHo is working locally nowadays? We are all happely living in the CLoud, working an the machines at hand.

So a simple network setup with a Synology NAS as fileserver must for the (self proclaimed) clever company Adobe, not be a very big issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Troubleshoot issues with networks, removable media in Photoshop

1. You are addressing the wrong people. I'm a community volunteer, not an Adobe employee.

2. I agree with their stance. Adobe can't support your network when it breaks. That's a HUGE rabbit hole to go down.

3. Unsupported can mean different things:

- It doesn't work and can't be made to work

- It mostly works but there are some problems and it may break completely in the future

- It works but we aren't going to provide technical support and don't promise to fix it if it breaks

- It works for now but is discontinued/not being developed any further/not being serviced

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lumigraphics,

Have you read the complaints? Adobe changes something somewhere relating Bridge and now everybody's workflow has been affected! It has been working for ages, now it suddenly doesn't anymore ....

Besides this I can't really understand why we are talking to a community volunteer here ... This is an Adobe forum, where issues can be solved ... So an Adobe person should be made aware of this or someone should post a solution ... Dialing a phone number doesn't help either, India just hangs up the phone ...

So ... What is being done about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum and anyone with the ACP badge is volunteering time to help others in the graphics community.

I'm sorry that the answers aren't to your liking but I'm afraid that I can't help you beyond this. Adobe has acknowledged the problem and everyone is waiting for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my perspective this is not a user-to-user forum at all .... The address bar in my browser says: "adobe.com", so I am addressing Adobe ... So, you must be working for Adobe, volunteer or not ... Not a colleague having the same issue ... If you're a volunteer doing communication, which Adobe should be doing, you should not be a volunteer but a payed employee who can deal with issues at hand ... Damn, I've been calling Amsterdam, Netherlands, being rerouted to some English phone line which ended up in India, where they hung up the phone since they pushed a wrong button, after 15 minutes of wait ... I am getting quit fed up with this, since I am daily copying 150 GB of images to my Hard Drive to alter metadata and deal with this issue, losing quantum production time due to the fact that Adobe switched a god damn button somewhere ... I have been paying them mucho Euro's over the past 15 years, so Adobe better makes sure the Damn thing works!!! In that perspective it would be a very important thing, that Adobe communicaties indeed they have acknowledged the issue and I would like to know which deadline they have set for the fix ... Since other in this threat, so am I working with several people on one server and this issue takes me huge extra time to coordinate all workaround in the studio!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your perspective is incorrect. And as I told you, Adobe is aware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my perspective this is not a user-to-user forum at all .... The address bar in my browser says: "adobe.com", so I am addressing Adobe ... So, you must be working for Adobe, volunteer or not ... Not a colleague having the same issue ... If you're a volunteer doing communication, which Adobe should be doing, you should not be a volunteer but a payed employee who can deal with issues at hand ...

My paycheck must be late then... I haven't seen it since, ever! :[

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are happy to announce Camera Raw 11.2.1 and Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 which includes a bug fix affecting the opening raw files stored on a NAS.

This change should also fix issues with Bridge and Lightroom Classic opening raw files using Edit in Photoshop.

Note: It is necessary to install the Camera Raw update to fix this issue. Installing Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 alone will not affect the issue.

You can install the updates on desktop applications via the Creative Cloud App. [CTRL/CMD]+[ALT/OPT]+[ R ] will refresh your app if the update doesn’t appear. See Update apps to the latest release of Adobe Creative Cloud

Please install the update and let us know if you continue to face any issues.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest version of Bridge and Camera Raw and still have the issue with JPEG/JPG files. I use a QNAP NAS and have the correct read/write rights assigned. When I clear the cache and open a folder from the NAS containing only JPG files it briefly shows the metadata filters while scanning and then thy suddenly disappear. It is not possible then to change the metadata of these files (eg rating).

Luckily I just discovered a workaround. I simply copied a RAW file (NEF) in the folder and all metadata filters suddenly appeared again. Metadata could also be written again.

@Adobe Akash Sharma please fix this.

Thanks and best regards !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been using Camera Raw 11.2.1 and this issue was fixed - as stated above - many thanks.

HOWEVER WE HAVE JUST UPDATED TO CAMERA RAW v11.3 AND THE ISSUE HAS COME BACK - when we try writing metadata to image files Adobe Bridge crashes.

So in the short term we have reverted back to Camera Raw v11.2.1.

PLEASE FIX ADOBE!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi leej55723941,

Sorry to hear that the issue has came back after the 11.3 update of Camera Raw.

Could you please share the report from Help>>System info here?

Also, describe your workflow and explain how you're able to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a similar problem. If I want do edit photo's at my work pc, I download NEF files from the NAS, store them locally on my PC for the time being, edit them in Camera Raw/Lightroom. But when I want to replace the default NEF file on the NAS with the edited version it doesn't work! Is there some way around this? So I want to edit the photos so I don't have to do it again at home. I have struggled with this for such a long time... Is there any solution?? Thanks in advance!

PS: To be clear: I cannot copy the edited RAW settings so when I upload back to the NAS it resets to default RAW settings again 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines