• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do DNGs in Bridge look different compared to Darktable?

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you see below, DNG pictures look way different in Bridge. When I zoom in 100%, the picture is very sharp, so I know it's not the embedded JPG. In Darktable, you can see the image is displayed correctly without the overexposure you see in Bridge. I really like the speed of Bridge and I mainly use DNGs to view high quality images, I don't edit often, so I was hoping to get the same quality of pictures in Bridge without the need to use Darktable which is pretty slow. Is there any setting that needs to be adjusted to fix this issue?    P.S.  DNGs opened in Windows Photos and Windows Photo Gallery look the same as the ones in Bridge, so I don't know why only darktable is getting it right.

The source of the images is a LG Stylo 4, the app is OpenCamera.

Thanks!

dng_comp.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

In camera raw you can set Bridge to display your dngs using Apply Auto Tone and Color Adjustments, which then looks much closer to  Darktable.  In the windows bridge version it's under Edit>Camera Raw Preferences.

Darktable

dng1.jpg

Adobe Camera Raw 11.1 with the Auto button pressed

which is what Apply Auto Tone and Color Adjustments applies in Bridge.

dng2.jpg

Bridge Camera Raw Preferences

dng3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

As you mentioned that the image looks same in Bridge and Windows Photo gallery. Hence this could be an issue with Darktable for these type of files.

Regards,

Abhishek Seth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but the images in darktable look more true to the actual shot, while in Bridge they are way overexposed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG's are raw files, the idea is that you have to apply settings to get them where you want. A raw processor can only give you its defaults for that specific camera and raw format.

You can create a Camera RAW preset to give your files the look you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but this doesn't answer why darktable shows a picture that is more true to life and not excessively exposed like in Bridge. That's without any adjustments in either darktable or Bridge. Is there a way to adjust the color profile in Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because that's how RAW processors work. You can set up a default profile for those images in Camera RAW.

Manage Adobe Camera Raw settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Camera RAW. I was wondering if I can change the default profile in Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You DO use Camera RAW if you have RAW files in Bridge. You cannot adjust RAW files outside of Camera RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In camera raw you can set Bridge to display your dngs using Apply Auto Tone and Color Adjustments, which then looks much closer to  Darktable.  In the windows bridge version it's under Edit>Camera Raw Preferences.

Darktable

dng1.jpg

Adobe Camera Raw 11.1 with the Auto button pressed

which is what Apply Auto Tone and Color Adjustments applies in Bridge.

dng2.jpg

Bridge Camera Raw Preferences

dng3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot.. I downloaded Camera Raw 11.1, but when I click on Camera Raw Preferences in Bridge I get an error: "Camera Raw editing is not enabled. Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been licensed".  I only have Adobe Bridge. Do I need any other applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, unfortunately, while the stand alone version of bridge reads the camera raw files and shows previews, one needs a subscription to an adobe application like photoshop cc to access the camera raw preferences or do any editing in camera raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the Photoshop trial and applied that option, it worked great! I just hope that when the trial ends Bridge will just keep that option on. I wish there was something like Bridge with built-in color spaces like that, just for people who would like to view their DNGs. I don't plan to edit any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do update thread in just over 7 days time when the Photoshop trial expires, confirming whether Bridge still references the ACR preferences or not (obviously you will not be able to uninstall Photoshop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this way awhile ago - but I think what people are forgetting here is....

Darktable is a photo processor. Bridge is only a file reader - its Camera Raw that actually processes the photos. Bridge does nothing more than act as a Media Manager - but its quick and has a ton of options for reading a multitude of media files and of course has the direct link to Adobe products, like Camera Raw, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. 

For a better comparison to Darktable - Something that reads and processes RAW images - Lightroom would be the better fit - or even DXO, Luminar, On1... etc.

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines