Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Effects Control Panel doesn't update when selecting different layers

Enthusiast ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps to reproduce:

If I click on different layers in various comps, the ECP often fails to update; it might still show the effects controls for a layer I selected some time ago. I've never seen this issue before, and it doesn't happen (on the same project) in the release version (24.3.0 Build 50).

Also, sometimes if I enter a value on a layer's effects (eg. the amount of Gaussian Blur) when I press Enter to exit the number box, AE opens that layer.

UPDATE: Yes, this DOES happen with the same project in the release version! Very weird. I would be happy to send the project (not publicly) to Adobe for analysis.

System info
    Application: After Effects (Beta) v24.5.0 Build 8
    OS: Windows v10.0.19044, RAM: 127.92 GB GB, CPUs (logical): 32

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

We had a bug like this that we thought was fixed in 24.3. If you're able to reduce the project down and send it to us, that'd be very helpful.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
8 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had a bug like this that we thought was fixed in 24.3. If you're able to reduce the project down and send it to us, that'd be very helpful.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why this is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @default88r1sq7i1d6n,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Are you using the latest 24.3 version of After Effects? A similar issue was fixed in that version, but we are investigating reports that the issue is not fixed in some cases.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this crazy behaviour, @default88r1sq7i1d6n ! (Catchy username by the way!)

I've not seen this so much today (same project!). Maybe having high res. Photoshop files was my issue - I've scaled them down to 50% size (they were ~5000x10000px) because they were wreaking havoc with some CC Power Pin effects (out of VRAM) and that MIGHT have fixed things.

Oh yes - there's also the very annoying issue of things just refusing to refresh on screen when I change stuff sometimes. For example, I have a layer (a comp) with a CC Power Pin whose corner points are linked (via expressions) to four nulls, and if I move the null(s), the Comp Viewer just does nothing. I have to clear the memory with a ctrl-alt-/ to get it to refresh. (Which has the handy(😫!!!!) side effect of clearing my undo cache). I've reduced the project, ready to attach...but annoyingly this forum won't let me attach a .zip nor an .aep, so I've uploaded the project here: https://www.filemail.com/d/unlbunnimziigwv

To see the non-refreshing problem, open the comp called "Not refreshing" (the comp does indeed look like rubbish - I just replaced the stuff in the artwork with a nondescript grad and some PSD-rendered flames). Open the Position of one of the Nulls (eg. "TopRight"), and change its X Position wildly. Marvel at the non-event (i.e. nothing at all) that transpires...other than the Null moves. Hit ctrl-alt-numpad/ (or do Edit > Purge > All Memory) to see the actual results (the layer "nested" has CC Power Pin on it, with the corners linked via expressions to those nulls). Maybe if you're lucky, you'll also see the weird ECP problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue can be found in both AE 24.1, 24.3, 23.6. The effect control panel, if you click into it or drag an effect into it, jumps into a different composition. If you detach the window, the effects control panel does not update to the selected comp. Behavior is normal until several comps and effects are added to the project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @default88r1sq7i1d6n , @hellopaul4 

I'm DaveC, the engineer who will be looking at the part of this case related to the ECW not refreshing (not the comp window part). I've downloaded your test project, but when I open it, I am unable to reproduce the issue. These are my steps:

1. run AE, open project
  2. select all layers in the comp that is automatically opened, press "e" to reveal all effects
  3. click on each effect under the "nested" layer in turn

Result <-- ECW populates as expected.

Please update with the steps that YOU take to reproduce the bug, and we'll go from there 😄

-davec

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @davec. 
I haven't seen this happen over the past few days...maybe it's just gone away??

...it's been replaced by the somewhat more annoying, intermittent "AE not updating the view at all" bug, where if I change something (e.g. the keyframes of a 3D camera move) nothing changes in the Comp Viewer until I do a Purge All Memory to force a redraw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sorry about the other problem re: comp viewer not updating, that's a separate issue.

if you are able to reliably reproduce the issue of the ECW not updating, as shown in @default88r1sq7i1d6n 's video, please let me know ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources